Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

DayZ, H1Z1, Rust, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds... I'm confused.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Howardian

Have you played any of these mmo-meets-fps games? How are they different from one another? Which one do you prefer and why? Are there more games like this out there?

Which one is the least complicated and cumbersome and most streamlined?

Which one has the least time-sink grinding and can be enjoyed and provide fulfillment from 1 hour of playtime per day? (Or a few hours on the weekend.)

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Retris

Some clarification: All of these (except for H1Z1) are wildly(ish) different games, with differing origins.

DayZ and Battlegrounds both share their origins as Arma mods. DayZ was a mod that made Arma into a persistant world multiplayer zombie survival game. The big point about DayZ is that it has some elements of roguelikes, in it that you have only one life and you hope to find good weapon spawns. There really is no end goal in DayZ except getting good stuff and then griefing other players.

Battlegrounds on the other hand is based on the Battle Royale mods. They're death matches where each player has only one life. It's just basically one death Arma with randomization. So it's a more realistic, slower paced shooter with lots of players on the server.

Both of H1Z1's games are just unsuccessful knock off versions of those. Don't really recommend trying them.

Rust on the other hand started as a DayZ clone, but the current Rust has more in common with Minecraft than DayZ, I'd say. It is sort of chasing both the DayZ money and the Minecraft money simultaneously. By Minecraft I mean that there is a big emphasis on crafting and building stuff, instead of just looting.

Steam is full of survival games, but most of them are middling at best and I don't think any of them have escaped Early Access.

As for which one to play? If you want intense death matches, try Battlegrounds. If you want survival? Honestly, I'd say try playing Minecraft.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Howardian

@monkehhh said:

I think PUBG is your best bet at the moment. You jump out of a plane, you get guns, you shoot people, you meet in the middle if you're not dead. Pretty simple.

I absolutely loved DayZ when it first appeared but it's an entirely different beast to PUBG. It's typically very slow and quite lonely, with brief moments of someone murdering you every few hours.

How long does it take to respawn in PUBG if you get shot?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@howardian: no respawns, you go back to the main menu and rejoin. Should take 2 minutes to get back into a new game? Not bad at all.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

Some clarification: All of these (except for H1Z1) are wildly(ish) different games, with differing origins.

DayZ and Battlegrounds both share their origins as Arma mods. DayZ was a mod that made Arma into a persistant world multiplayer zombie survival game. The big point about DayZ is that it has some elements of roguelikes, in it that you have only one life and you hope to find good weapon spawns. There really is no end goal in DayZ except getting good stuff and then griefing other players.

Battlegrounds on the other hand is based on the Battle Royale mods. They're death matches where each player has only one life. It's just basically one death Arma with randomization. So it's a more realistic, slower paced shooter with lots of players on the server.

Both of H1Z1's games are just unsuccessful knock off versions of those. Don't really recommend trying them.

Rust on the other hand started as a DayZ clone, but the current Rust has more in common with Minecraft than DayZ, I'd say. It is sort of chasing both the DayZ money and the Minecraft money simultaneously. By Minecraft I mean that there is a big emphasis on crafting and building stuff, instead of just looting.

Steam is full of survival games, but most of them are middling at best and I don't think any of them have escaped Early Access.

As for which one to play? If you want intense death matches, try Battlegrounds. If you want survival? Honestly, I'd say try playing Minecraft.

You've clarified a mystery that has puzzled me for a long time, thanks man.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

Isn't it kind of weird to call King of the Kill a knock off when it came way before PUBG? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.