Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX 560 ti Sli vs GTX 580

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

A sli gtx 560 ti is the same amount as only one GTX 580 but should I get the 580 and sli later on or just go for the 560 ti sli?

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

eVGA GeForce GTX260

Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3

Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black, SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

HAF 932

850 watt PSU

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

580 alllllll the way. Plan ahead man, and the 580 will run anything you can through at it, and well. Never settle for second best unless it's the best you can get.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By granderojo

The 580 is more expensive than two 560s and the 560s with SLI are more stable with better performance.

thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By thesavage

I would just go with one card, as a person who has done both I personally have had better luck with single card configurations from the amd side of the house at least.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By CSXLoser

common rule is 1 card > 2cards 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow

560ti SLI is faster sometimes and the single 580 other times.

I personally do not think SLI is worth the hassle.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bybeach

I went with B. Personally I run 2 570's, slightly overclocked, in sli. If there is a good price drop and this card is still available, I may go 3 way.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Forgot to mention current specs-

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

eVGA GeForce GTX260

Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3

Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black, SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

HAF 932

850 watt PSU

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

gtx 560 sli, you get like 20% or more power than a gtx 580. It depends where you see the benchmark which generally favors two gtx 560. http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/7  

Even these benchmarks supports my claims http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti_SLI/8.html 

Which is great in itself, but others will tell you to get the most powerful single card you can afford like the gtx 580, then sli that. Then again you need a bit more power, so this is the right combination. This means you probally don't have to upgrade for the rest of the gen. You live in austrilia so you pay more, but this card in north america is like $400 for two gtx 560 which will smoke a gtx 580 for $500 or more. 

No Caption Provided
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar

i got a 580 myself and plan to SLI it probably next year when i upgrade my "lowly" i5. fucking amazing card

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rhaknar: I remember you, didn't I recommend you a gtx 580 single card? Is the fan still loud? Every game works well? Any games has a problem or not fast enough? At least it doesn't have sli microstuttering, even though it's not a problem with nvidia cards, but ati.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well for the op, i'm doing the opposite, recommending him two cards if it's cost effective. He doesn't need like two gtx 580, that's like a grand, requires a new psu, also it's too much power for 1080p if he's not using a higher rez or triple monitors. Also I was looking for power past a gtx 580 for cheaper, so I recommended that. You don't need two gtx 580 that's like 60 frames metro 2033 and no value for your current situation because it's too expensive and too many frames which you could of got a similar result using a cheaper combo.
     ---------------
    $500 for gtx 580 X 2 = $1000 usd, plus tax, plus a new 1000 watt psu = $200. total $1200 grand total (tax)$1344   <--------------

gtx 560 X 2 = $400, new psu = not necessary. Grand total with tax $448 

think about what you are really voting for, you save almost a thousand dollars with two gtx 560 the best value in gpu sli technology.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    @Rhaknar: I remember you, didn't I recommend you a gtx 580 single card? Is the fan still loud? Every game works well? Any games has a problem or not fast enough?   Well for the op, i'm doing the opposite, recommending him two cards if it's cost effective.
    yes you did, in fact i was about to post saying "listen to hitman he helped me out when i got my 580" lol

as for the fan noise, well not really i think i was just freaking out, and my head is right next to my case most of the time so i tend to hear the fans going off when im in games... but then again, fucking consoles do that (fat ps3, jesus) so im not too fussed now, i ran temp scanners and it never even gets to 70degrees most times, and its hot as hell here now

every game runs perfectly maxed out, Alice being the latest example (especially aftr unlocking 60fps, stupid 30fps default lock ), with witcher 2 being by far the most impressive example of everything maxed out (except ubber sampling since that was proven to be jacked anyway) and running smooth as shit.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rhaknar: I hear ya, I wish a single gpu has a bit more power, so I am going with the kind of power I am looking for, two gtx 560. I mean games like the witcher 2 and also battlefield 3. It's too bad the gtx 680 isn't out yet or no news on it as far as i'm aware. That might be when I would of recommended that single card over two gtx 560. But ya, that's the advantage of one card though, no microstuttering. Also you want more frames, no need to upgrade, either overclock your cpu or get an i7 later on, you don't even have to overclock it, it will give you a boost in frames for higher frames anways. Overclocking it should bring great results if you can figure it out. Glad you didn't have any regrets for that recommendation. 

It's also funny how a gtx 580 is really just like two gtx 460 power, which I had before one fried. There is another option, the evga 2 win but that's loud and shitty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130626&cm_re=evga_2_win-_-14-130-626-_-Product 
    if that cost about $400 for a dual gpu that has two gtx 460 and matches the gtx 580 in power, then two gtx 560 will be even more powerful and a good value at only $400.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think I am the one who suggested a gtx 580 vs two gtx 560. Think about what you are voting for and the cost ppl. One gtx 580 for now isn't as powerful as two gtx 560 and it's expensive to sli both of them. Well I guess ppl heard what I said about the cards, they have my opinion. Then again, one gtx 580 is still vvery powerful, but not very cost effective imo. The price needs to drop and they need to announce new cards to do this, gpu technology has been getting a bit lazy lately. Have fun paying for like more than a grand op and also getting a new psu for what ppl are voting for without thinking about value and power.
    PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PatchRowcester

I would go with 580. Its a beast and it should serve you very well for a while.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MeierTheRed

Personally if i had SLI support on my current motherboard i would go with the 2X 560's, they are cheaper, and the performance would be equal if not better than the single 580.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By inkerman

Personally I would go with the 580, first of all less hassle, second of all, it essentially future proofs your rig a lot longer than the two 560s, particularly if you plan to sli later. 

Also; 

What the fuck are you running which requires this much power!?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.