Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX280M = 8800 GTS 512

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Lunarbunny

So apparently nVidia's scamming people with their mobile GPU nomenclature, as the supposedly mobile version of the GTX280, the GTX280M, is in name only, and is actually the G92b core (a die shrink of the G92 core that debuted with the 8800GT), with less measured GPU power than the 8800GTS 512MB (the G92 version of the GTS).

I figured maybe anybody in the laptop market would like to know.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cspiffo

Still, there's nothing wrong with that chipset as a laptop option.  Kind of a shitty way to boost sales though by confusing the consumer with shady naming conventions.  I've always been a bigger fan of the way ATI tends to name their cards.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lunarbunny

No, it's a decent chipset, but they probably should have called it a GTX250M at best, (the GTX250 is a G92b-based desktop card)

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cspiffo
    @Lunarbunny: Are you arguing with me?  Cause I agree with you.  Read my post again.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny
    @cspiffo: I meant "No [there's nothing wrong with the chipset as a laptop option]" but it was somewhat unclear.
    FreeTWOGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FreeTWOGame

It's really stupid that Nvidia would rehash their GPU line ups to such levels. Especially given how because of it, Nvidia's GPU performance on laptops has gained at the most 10% of performance in the past two years while their desktop GPU options have gone up much farther.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jiggah

Uh...since when do people expect the mobile version of a GPU to perform accordingly to a desktop GPU?  This has been around forever, nothing new.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cspiffo
    @Jiggah:   You're missing the point.  It's not the quality of the GPU we are argueing.  NVidia has taken it upon themselves to name the chipset after a chipset it has nothing in common with.  All this does is confuse the consumer.  Why couldn't they just call it the 8800M or the GTX 250M.  Those platforms use the same chipset and share commonality.  The GTX 280M and GTX 280 have nothing in common with eachother.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sodiumCyclops

it is really bizzare why nvidia would change the name so radically, yet there is no 'real' difference in design.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Lunarbunny said:
    " So apparently nVidia's scamming people with their mobile GPU nomenclature, as the supposedly mobile version of the GTX280, the GTX280M, is in name only, and is actually the G92b core (a die shrink of the G92 core that debuted with the 8800GT), with less measured GPU power than the 8800GTS 512MB (the G92 version of the GTS).

I figured maybe anybody in the laptop market would like to know.

"
    Yeah it really sucks for me considering i have an 8800M in mine. I always wondered how much worse the integrated stuff was, now it's confirmed: A LOT worse.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffb28e79bc10
    deactivated-5ffb28e79bc10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol do you even know how compact Laptop GPU's are? this is an amazing chipset.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
    AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AmericanPegasus

The reason anyone would buy a laptop for gaming escapes me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.