Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help me Build a PC

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tofford

I am about to build my first PC in about 8 years and I am currently picking components. I want this rig for primarily gaming but also some video editing/vfx. Here is what I currently have planned

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wztGhM

*REVISED LIST*

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tBdZXL

The main thing is making sure all the components are compatible with each other and while I am happy to spend a significant amount of money I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Robinson

I think you can find a better price on your CPU. Everything looks like it will fit together just fine. Modular PSu is cool, but you can save a few bucks by going non-modular and taking an extra 20 minutes to tuck cables away. I'd also take anohter look at PSU prices, as I can find that locally for cheaper with tax from microcenter. I double checked your GPU and tower config, it says it will fit. Prob going to be tight tho.

Edit: I would prob budget in some extra case fans since your CPU cooler is just mixing air around rather than blowing it out or in one direction. Dont want that baby overheating. The noctua fans are super quiet and very very powerful, but cost about 30 bucks per fan.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Do you want to overclock? If not you could save some money by getting the locked version of the processor and just the stock fan.

Otherwise seems great though you might want a 2TB harddrive and you might be better off getting the Fractal Design Define R4 instead of the Bitfenix.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You can get the same case as mATX which, if you go for a mATX motherboard as well, is going to give you a lot more flexibility in terms of parts & upgrades. The other thing with the smaller case is you'd better double check the gpu & psu fit.

@robinson Personally I wouldn't go for a non modular psu in a smaller case or even in a larger one for that matter.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Really? I'e always found a nice little crevice to stick the two-3 un-needed cable runs into, even in my tiny HTPC (mitx) and a traveling matx gaming rig. Also usually nets you a nicer PSU since you arent dealing with additional resistance at the connections.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tofford: What kind of video editing? If you're editing in HD and rendering a decent number of effects you should consider going with more memory. You can get 16GB affordably, and it will help with rendering and editing HD clips especially with added effects. Certainly not essential but it is advantageous. All in all this is a pretty good build.

Get a 2TB Barracuda though, not a 1TB WD Black. You'll want the space if you do video stuff AND gaming, especially with how game sizes and resolutions of video are evolving this generation. And it should only be an extra $30-40 (I picked up mine for $120)

@robinson said:

Really? I'e always found a nice little crevice to stick the two-3 un-needed cable runs into, even in my tiny HTPC (mitx) and a traveling matx gaming rig. Also usually nets you a nicer PSU since you arent dealing with additional resistance at the connections.

Corsair's PSUs have an excellent reputation for a reason. They are of a high quality, they come with excellent support, and honestly modularity isn't an issue any more. Almost all high end PSUs are modular. It's worth the convenience, especially in a smaller case because added cables mean reduced airflow and generally more hassle. Modularity comes at a very small price these days so there's no need to avoid it.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tofford: What kind of video editing? If you're editing in HD and rendering a decent number of effects you should consider going with more memory. You can get 16GB affordably, and it will help with rendering and editing HD clips especially with added effects. Certainly not essential but it is advantageous. All in all this is a pretty good build.

Get a 2TB Barracuda though, not a 1TB WD Black. You'll want the space if you do video stuff AND gaming, especially with how game sizes and resolutions of video are evolving this generation. And it should only be an extra $30-40 (I picked up mine for $120)

Do you want to overclock? If not you could save some money by getting the locked version of the processor and just the stock fan.

Otherwise seems great though you might want a 2TB harddrive and you might be better off getting the Fractal Design Define R4 instead of the Bitfenix.

Performance to $ ratio is almost identical to the locked 4770. I think it'd be smart to keep your options open in the future and spend the extra $30. The 4770K will actually perform better as well, if only just. But if he does significant video editing, a little bit at a time adds up. And overclocking is so easy these days, you'd be a fool not to with a good cooler like he has on the build.

@robinson said:

Corsair's PSUs have an excellent reputation for a reason. They are of a high quality, they come with excellent support, and honestly modularity isn't an issue any more. Almost all high end PSUs are modular. It's worth the convenience, especially in a smaller case because added cables mean reduced airflow and generally more hassle. Modularity comes at a very small price these days so there's no need to avoid it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robinson: From what I can tell the resistance difference is negligible & I'd be more concerned with air flow, though if you can tuck the cables out of the way I guess that's a non issue too.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Duders. Don't worry about those prices I will look in more detail at that later. @jarmahead I was already thinking about the memory upgrade so I will do that and the larger hard drive.

It seems the biggest issue is overclocking. I think I will go for the k version of the processor in case I want to down the line but for now I am not fussed. Does that mean I could also hold back on the extra CPU cooler?

What's the general consensus on the motherboard/case I want to keep the form factor relatively small but still have the option for upgrades in the future. Can I make do with my current plan or is it going to restrict me?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Corevi
    @tofford said:

It seems the biggest issue is overclocking. I think I will go for the k version of the processor in case I want to down the line but for now I am not fussed. Does that mean I could also hold back on the extra CPU cooler?

What's the general consensus on the motherboard/case I want to keep the form factor relatively small but still have the option for upgrades in the future. Can I make do with my current plan or is it going to restrict me?

1. You can hold back on the CPU cooler though you will have to remove the stock one when you get the better cooler which can be a pain in the ass.

2. Mini ITX is really small. You should go with a Mini ATX at least. As I said previously my go to for basically any mid-high end build is the Fractal Design Define R4.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil would you recommend changing motherboard if I went for that case then?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By mike

@corruptedevil said:
    @tofford said:

1. You can hold back on the CPU cooler though you will have to remove the stock one when you get the better cooler which can be a pain in the ass.

2. Mini ITX is really small. You should go with a Mini ATX at least. As I said previously my go to for basically any mid-high end build is the Fractal Design Define R4.

On LGA1150 you can remove the stock cooler in about 2 seconds, they mounts are spring-loaded plastic clips. You turn them 1/4 turn and they pop out, it's that simple. If he goes with an R4 it has a large enough CPU cutout that he could even install the back plate for any number of aftermarket CPU coolers without even taking the board out of the case.

In fact I just happen to have a stock 4790k cooler right here on my desk! Those four posts just pop into the corresponding holes on the motherboard. To get the cooler off you just rotate the black plastic knob and they pop right out.

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Corevi
    @tofford said:

@corruptedevil would you recommend changing motherboard if I went for that case then?

Yeah. I recommend this one but it doesn't have built in WiFi. If you need that then you can pay a bit more and get this version which does.

@mb I've personally not used a stock cooler for any newish sockets due to my preference for overclocking so I was going by second hand / outdated info. Sorry if I was incorrect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: I'd go for a LGA1150 motherboard to match the i7-4770k he's currently got selected, asus is a great brand though so I'd stick with it http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-gryphonz87 is what I'd go for if you don't mind spending a little bit more, especially since it's the one component you can't upgrade especially these days as windows seems to be bound to them.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi
    @hone_mcbone said:

@corruptedevil: I'd go for a LGA1150 motherboard to match the i7-4770k he's currently got selected, asus is a great brand though so I'd stick with it http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-gryphonz87 is what I'd go for if you don't mind spending a little bit more, especially since it's the one component you can't upgrade especially these days as windows seems to be bound to them.

Right sorry, I was experimenting with a build using a LGA1555 (3770k instead of 4770k) and got the 2 builds mixed up.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I think the last thing for me to lock in is motherboard. I have decided to go for the fractal design case so a larger motherboard is possible but I would like on with wifi included. Any recommendations as I don't think I can find an asus one with built in wifi

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Nictel
    Quackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Quackers

The list of parts looks solid overall. My only suggestion would be to consider a 4790K over a 4770K. It is ten dollars more than the 4770K but boasts 4.0 GHz (4.4 Turbo Boosted), instead of 3.5 GHz (3.9 GHz Turbo).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

First of all I'd go with a core i5 you don't need an i7 for gaming, and the i5 still gives you four cores...that saves $100 right away.

Second the air-cooler will be tight in the ITX case, go for a 120 mm closed loop water cooler.

Third your RAM is CAS 11 which is pretty slow timing and it is expensive too boot. There is faster CAS 9 RAM and it will even save you a few bucks.

That about the smallest GTX 770 you can get so there's not much I can say about anything better to fit in that case. I will say you will likely end up having to take the drive cage out to fit that case, that means putting your drives on the bottom of the case...which means you can't put a big fan in there...which means maybe having to put slim static pressure fans somewhere else. You could avoid the headaches by dropping down to a GTX 760 ITX sized card that is about six inches. It all depends on how much you really want that 770?

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right then here is the revised build based on your recommendations.

I am pretty locked in on these specs but if anything can spot simple changes that would save me money let me know. For example can I get cheaper components that won't have a significant effect on performance or reliability. For some components I have gone for brands I know which may be more expensive

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@tofford said:

Right then here is the revised build based on your recommendations.

I am pretty locked in on these specs but if anything can spot simple changes that would save me money let me know. For example can I get cheaper components that won't have a significant effect on performance or reliability. For some components I have gone for brands I know which may be more expensive

Nope, since you are going for Core i7 and with a GTX 770 gpu you are pretty much locked into protecting those expensive components with a very good mobo and power supply. And, while you could use the stock Intel Core heat sink if you are not overclocking I woudl protect my investment with a closed loop cooler, so you might as well add $50 to $99 to that budget. With so much going to parts with CPU, GPU, MOBO, PSU, RAM, etc you might as well put it in a nice case.

So no, I would not recommend paying less or getting step down components. And, unless you want to intentionally under-clock that CPU, I would get a cooler to replace the stock one in the box.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.