Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I now have a new PC, and it feels good.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

I've been without a computer for a little over a month now. Just replacing the power supply could've solved the problem easily, but I figured that there could not have been a better time for me to get a new computer. Or more specifically, build one.  

Thanks to the handy PC Build thread on the forums here (much appreciation again, Geno), I went with the $600 build to start, and over the past few weeks went through different vendors until I had all the parts I needed. My dad is the VP of a computer store, so he was able to find what we needed, while having to contend with whatever shipping cost to Alaska there was, since "free shipping" on Newegg doesn't apply up here.  

I spent about 3 and a half hours yesterday with one of my dad's coworkers and put together my brand new machine. It was very fun, though I was a bit nervous at the start because of the whole risk of frying the motherboard from ESD. That didn't become a problem at all since I was constantly moving and hold parts of the case, so that kept me grounded. Everything just went right into place. 

The final specs for my computer are close to the original suggested build on the PC Build thread, but with some different brands and a slightly different motherboard. Tech wise, it's pretty much what I had in mind from the start. 

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640
    Video Card: Visiontek 1GB Radeon HD 6850
    RAM: Kingston 4GB (2GB X 2) DDR3 Memory
    Power Supply: Antec 550W Continuous Power
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB SATA
    Disc Drive: Sony 24X SATA DVD Burner
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5

The above components and OS are the only things new. My monitor, mouse, and keyboard are all the same from my last computer and work well. 

Also, I have my old computer's hard drive, as I have some important files on there like my music and Touhou Project games. I've yet to transfer them over to the new HDD, but whether or not I can keep myself from playing games on Steam for just a little bit, I'll move them over to the 500GB Hard Drive and clear the rest of the junk off the old one. 

And speaking of Steam, it feels so, so good to it back. I've already reinstalled Half Life 2 and Beat Hazard, and just installed Super Meat Boy and Poker Night at the Inventory (which I have yet to play as of this writing). I went ahead and put HL2 at highest video settings for everything, and motion blur just because I could. Looks so much better, running it at a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 with high texture quality and 8x MSAA. And running at a smooth, fast framerate. Same for Beat Hazard, which doesn't have the video options like Half Life, but it also runs at a fast framerate as well. 

And I finally got to playing Super Meat Boy. I was originally bummed that I wouldn't get my computer built last weekend in time for the game, but after hearing the problems people were having, kinda glad I ended up waiting. Runs very solid, and I have installed Motioninjoy for my PS3 controller, letting me use it in place of 360 controller wherever a game supports it (so this applies to Beat Hazard as well). 

Gonna get to playing some Poker Night soon, but man, I am just so happy to finally have a computer again, an even better one. For an upper midend build, I am very impressed. 

Life is beautiful.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

I've been without a computer for a little over a month now. Just replacing the power supply could've solved the problem easily, but I figured that there could not have been a better time for me to get a new computer. Or more specifically, build one.  

Thanks to the handy PC Build thread on the forums here (much appreciation again, Geno), I went with the $600 build to start, and over the past few weeks went through different vendors until I had all the parts I needed. My dad is the VP of a computer store, so he was able to find what we needed, while having to contend with whatever shipping cost to Alaska there was, since "free shipping" on Newegg doesn't apply up here.  

I spent about 3 and a half hours yesterday with one of my dad's coworkers and put together my brand new machine. It was very fun, though I was a bit nervous at the start because of the whole risk of frying the motherboard from ESD. That didn't become a problem at all since I was constantly moving and hold parts of the case, so that kept me grounded. Everything just went right into place. 

The final specs for my computer are close to the original suggested build on the PC Build thread, but with some different brands and a slightly different motherboard. Tech wise, it's pretty much what I had in mind from the start. 

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640
    Video Card: Visiontek 1GB Radeon HD 6850
    RAM: Kingston 4GB (2GB X 2) DDR3 Memory
    Power Supply: Antec 550W Continuous Power
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB SATA
    Disc Drive: Sony 24X SATA DVD Burner
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5

The above components and OS are the only things new. My monitor, mouse, and keyboard are all the same from my last computer and work well. 

Also, I have my old computer's hard drive, as I have some important files on there like my music and Touhou Project games. I've yet to transfer them over to the new HDD, but whether or not I can keep myself from playing games on Steam for just a little bit, I'll move them over to the 500GB Hard Drive and clear the rest of the junk off the old one. 

And speaking of Steam, it feels so, so good to it back. I've already reinstalled Half Life 2 and Beat Hazard, and just installed Super Meat Boy and Poker Night at the Inventory (which I have yet to play as of this writing). I went ahead and put HL2 at highest video settings for everything, and motion blur just because I could. Looks so much better, running it at a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 with high texture quality and 8x MSAA. And running at a smooth, fast framerate. Same for Beat Hazard, which doesn't have the video options like Half Life, but it also runs at a fast framerate as well. 

And I finally got to playing Super Meat Boy. I was originally bummed that I wouldn't get my computer built last weekend in time for the game, but after hearing the problems people were having, kinda glad I ended up waiting. Runs very solid, and I have installed Motioninjoy for my PS3 controller, letting me use it in place of 360 controller wherever a game supports it (so this applies to Beat Hazard as well). 

Gonna get to playing some Poker Night soon, but man, I am just so happy to finally have a computer again, an even better one. For an upper midend build, I am very impressed. 

Life is beautiful.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Excellent choices. People may think down on the AMD CPU you chose, but who cares if it works fine right? Have fun dude.

atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By atombrain

Welcome back.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's time to get a new X1080p or higher monitor.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

Just spotted this. It's a very similar set up to my own, I like Kingston RAM, the HyperX performs really well and looks great too.

Graphics card! So jealous, could only afford a 5770 myself.

Enjoy.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6  Edited By mrhankey
    @Alaska_Gamer: 

I think people just forget about AMD with intel constantly pushing the i7, i5, and i3 processors. AMD still has some great offers. My friend has the same proc as you, but with an ATI HD5870, and it screams.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

In the future, you can add another 6850 in crossfire.  6850s in crossfire scale very well in most games (as long as your drivers and profiles behave).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.