Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I want to build a PC and I have no idea what to look for

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

So I want to build a computer. I have a price range between $800-$1100. I live by a place that sells cases but have no idea what I should get in the case.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Try here. It's more of a general guideline for different setups and performance options. If you have any questions, I'll help you out, as I'm sure others will too.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JouselDelka

I upgraded two years ago and have been a bit out of the loop, but basically what you need to do is find a cheap computer part website or retailer, like newegg.com (for the US), then you pick out compatible parts and buy them. When you receive them, you either learn how to build them together from the internet, or pay a shop five bucks to have it ready for you.

The standard gaming parts right now are basically an Intel i5 CPU and a good heat sink for it, about 8 or 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, a 600 GTX series Nvidia graphics card or 7000 series AMD one (based on your tasty budget), a good motherboard that is compatible with the CPU, and some built in fans (meaning a big well-ventilated case) and a power supply that shouldn't exceed 600 watts. Maybe 700, I've always sucked when it came to wattage.

I'm sure more tech-savvy duders will give you better help, and get on with it because PC gaming is the shit.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jouseldelka Believe me, it is much easier to just build one on your own. I was curious to figure out how much a local computer store would charge me for building my PC. They wanted at least 200 dollars extra just to build it for me.

Also, I just have a few questions for the OP as usual. :p In terms of graphical prowess, what are you looking for in terms of good graphics? Are you planning to do 1080p or 1440p gaming? Are there any peripherals that you need in your budget (such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.)? The computer towers that you describe, can you tell us what they are (mid-tower atx, full tower atx, a small form factor pc)?

I do have some ideas since I am currently making a Haswell Gaming based system for a friend, but in my opinion, Haswell isn't worth the price. That is my opinion though. Farewell socket 1155, you will be missed.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tg2s

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1055.86

You can save more money by dropping the DVD drive (when was the last time you used the one you have on your current PC?) and finding a cheaper mATX case. You can also lose the CPU cooler and just use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.

Rayderzet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Build yourself one with different things in your home :P

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By VACkillers

Just do your research, there are 1000s of videos on youtube to help you decide what is best for your needs and can definitely learn a lot!! without knowning what your current tech level is. whether you even know how to build your own machine or not, its difficult to suggest builds to you, but the 3 most important core components are RAM/CPU and Graphics card. For RAM, 8GB is just fine, and the box standard is 8GB DDR3 @1600mhz. For CPUs dont go with less then 4 cores, especially for the next generation coming around, so this would mean an Intel i5 minumum, though i7 would be better, think i7 3770k Ivy Bridge you can find at a good price point these days, but dont forget AMD, their 8-core CPUs are very nice, regardless of what people say, they are very good CPUs just intel are better at more the professional stuff, like video rendering, music and audio encoding, stuff like that and have a higher temperature threshold, so overheating isn't so much of an issue. Lastly the Graphics, basically I just wouldn't drop for anything less then at least a GTX 760, they are faster then 660 tis, faster then the 670s in most cases at a cheaper price. GTX 770s are faster then the 680s, at a cheaper price so at this point you just simply might as well forget the 6-series cards in "my" opinion. The AMD Radeon Cards are good as well, bit I never reccomend them because of their shocking poor driver support, their just terrible and have been for years now, when working well, they are awesome, but when a new game comes out, and you got to update your drivers for it, you quickly find out how shit the driver support actually is.

Just do your research, look at some youtube videos, hell theres plenty of us that have posted on this forum about reccomended builds, but if your looking to buy it pre-built which is what I thought you meant in the original post, then hopefully what I've said will help. For a pre-built PC if you cant built it yourself, I would highly reccomend http://www,cyberpowerpc.com as a good place to buy from, local stores always find ways to really try and rip you off, even when you know a lot about computers. If you live in the uk then cyberpower is there as well at http://www.cyberpowerpc.co.uk

good luck!

EDIT: When it comes to the case, you want around 18-20" case in length and height so you can easierly fit long graphics cards in it, and make sure it has at the minimum, 3 fans to help keep the inside of your case cool.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Thanks duders

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.