Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Internet Switch

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

A few months ago I made a post about a Linksys router -- still haven't figured out that pile of junk. I've also read around and read good things about something called a "switch." All-in-all this should work like a router, but without the security features, am I correct? If so, this well-reviewed switch on Amazon looks to be cheap and worth the price.

What I want out of the product: To have internet plugged in, as well as my Xbox so that other people can go on the computer without having to switch the modem. No I don't want to deal with routers, hardly care about the security features and bullshitting I have to do.

Is a switch what I'm looking for? I don't want a loss in connection (but do realize that some will result when a person is using the computer while I'm playing my Xbox) passively.

Thanks, hopefully I get some responses early so I can order this as soon as possible and be uninterrupted during game playing.

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Elijah

Short answer: yes this is what you want.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lunarbunny

Yes, if you don't care about the security features of a NAT router like you say, then go for a highly reviewed switch. The modem may need to use a crossover cable (or you can use a patch cable and there should be one port on the switch that allows switching between crossover/patch mode).

Note that if you have a Linksys WRT54G v4 or earlier, you can probably try replacing the firmware with something more reliable like Tomato or DD-WRT.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By j0rdan

no

a switch on its own will not work,   you must have a router,   thats what a router does,  a switch does not do what youre want.

you can use a switch WITH a router but not without it,  plugging your modem directly into a switch and then your computers into that will not work.

you need to stick with routers.

find a friend who knows what there talking about other wise your gonna waste alot of money.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By StressedOutCat
    j0rdan said:
    "no

a switch on its own will not work,   you must have a router,   thats what a router does,  a switch does not do what youre want.

you can use a switch WITH a router but not without it,  plugging your modem directly into a switch and then your computers into that will not work.

find a friend who knows what there talking about other wise your gonna waste alot of money."
    Yes it will.
    kinda depends on your modem, but I don't see any way why wouldn't work.

But to get a better technical answer we would need to know what modem you currently have.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

I have an Arris modem. I believe we received it when we used to have Comcast and they give you a modem.

Arris Modem
    Arris Modem
    StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StressedOutCat

If you can connect your xbox directly to your modem without having to set anything up in the xbox or the modem, then yes the switch will work fine.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lunarbunny
    j0rdan said:
    "no

find a friend who knows what there talking about other wise your gonna waste alot of money."
    Modded down for not knowing what you're talking about.

This is the reason I mentioned a crossover cable or a switch with an "uplink" port (one that makes a patch cable act like a crossover). Depending on hardware this may or may not be necessary.

One thing that I just remembered is unless the switch or modem you use has built-in DHCP, you will need to assign static IP addresses to each machine on the network or set up one machine as a DHCP server using software (there are a number of solutions for this available, free or paid).
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By agent_lost
    Lunarbunny said:
    "j0rdan said:
    "no

This is the reason I mentioned a crossover cable or a switch with an "uplink" port (one that makes a patch cable act like a crossover). Depending on hardware this may or may not be necessary.

One thing that I just remembered is unless the switch or modem you use has built-in DHCP, you will need to assign static IP addresses to each machine on the network or set up one machine as a DHCP server using software (there are a number of solutions for this available, free or paid)."
    OK, you better of with just a router. You don't what the NAT and security option on the router but you will need the DCHP service and the gateway that router is also does. That the easiest way to go, there other way to make the switch work, of my head is a PC with 2 NIC, one to the modem to get the internet IP and the other on the switch and act as the gateway of your internal network.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Fosssil
    Agent_Lost said:
    "OK, you better of with just a router. You don't what the NAT and security option on the router but you will need the DCHP service and the gateway that router is also does. That the easiest way to go, there other way to make the switch work, of my head is a PC with 2 NIC, one to the modem to get the internet IP and the other on the switch and act as the gateway of your internal network."
    The OP has mentioned that he doesn't have a router or any other sort of DHCP server, and that he can still connect to the internet/Xbox Live with his modem, which means that his modem has a built-in router and the gateway settings are obtained from his ISP. He doesn't need a router because he technically already has one (built-in to his modem), he just needs more ports so that he can connect his computer and his Xbox to the internet at the same time -- a switch would work just fine for what he wants.

To the OP -- While there's nothing wrong with Amazon, I'd recommend that you order from a dedicated tech site (like Newegg or Tiger Direct), as you're likely to get better service/support if there are any issues.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lunarbunny

Personally I agree that he'd just be better off with a [good] router. It combines a bunch of functions into one, increases security, etc. But he seems to have already decided against it.

If you haven't completely ruled out a router, I most definitely suggest the D-Link DGL-4300. It is the most trouble-free router I have ever used, only one error ever that was quickly fixed with a reset. Assuming the power's on and the modem is working I'd say I've been getting 99.9% uptime with it. I've dealt with a Linksys BEFSR41 (wired only, would require a reset every 6 or so months), a Netgear wireless G router (crashed with too much traffic, good thing I was borrowing it), 2 Apple Airports (my stepfather's) and now the DGL-4300.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By j0rdan

just cos he can connect 1 single device doesnt mean its a router.  a modem will connect a single device to the internet when its on its own,  and yes using a crosover cable will work, but again if its only a modem (like 99% of those given to people from theire isp's) then again it will only allow 1 system to connect to the net even if he has 8 items plugged into the switch.

You say i dont know what Im talking about.

My countless Industry certificates,  industry Exams and other qualifications and many years of experience as a Network Technician / enginerr kinda suggest I do, perticulally those which have a big fat CISCO stamp on them (there equiptment account for 70% of the internet).

I make 1 post trying to save a poor lad from wasting a few bucks and people just call me an idiot.  nice, Ill but out next time,  give him crap advice, go out and buy a switch.   at the end of the day, it not my money, but then again its not yours either.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By agent_lost
    j0rdan said:
    "just cos he can connect 1 single device doesnt mean its a router.  a modem will connect a single device to the internet when its on its own,  and yes using a crosover cable will work, but again if its only a modem (like 99% of those given to people from theire isp's) then again it will only allow 1 system to connect to the net even if he has 8 items plugged into the switch.

You say i dont know what Im talking about.

My countless Industry certificates,  industry Exams and other qualifications and many years of experience as a Network Technician / enginerr kinda suggest I do, perticulally those which have a big fat CISCO stamp on them (there equiptment account for 70% of the internet).

I make 1 post trying to save a poor lad from wasting a few bucks and people just call me an idiot.  nice, Ill but out next time,  give him crap advice, go out and buy a switch.   at the end of the day, it not my money, but then again its not yours either."
    yep, that about right, look at the good side, that the reason that we have Job. Heck i know that the modem work, I used to do tech support for the my local cable co.
    Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xelloss
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
    StressedOutCat said:
    "j0rdan said:
    "no

Yes it will.

But to get a better technical answer we would need to know what modem you currently have."
    From my personal experience, my switch will not work without my router feeding the supply.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'll get a router if someone with computer smarts can keep in contact while I do this. Also have my Linksys if anybody wants to attempt helping me with that as well -- if you can get the Linksys working for me and save me $60 it would be much appreciated.

The Linksys I have is a Wireless-G Broadband Router, model number WRT54G2. If you have knowledge of this send me a message. We can talk in some form, whether it's through messages or on the phone. I just want the problem solved, to be honest.

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xelloss

We can just help you here.  Describe the problem in more detail.

Try these few steps though.

1. Modem, plug the ethernet cord from the modem into the routers internet port (usually the one by itself, rather then in the group of 4).
    2. Take another ethernet cord and plug that into slot 1, then plug that cord into your computer.
    3. Unplug the power for both the router and the modem.
    4. Wait for them to reset and see if you have internet once they are fully resets.
    5. That should get you working, also note their is a fully restore button on the back of the modem, you will need a pen or something to push it in to reset it, have the power on, should hold it for 10 sec.  Unplug everything again and wait for reset.

If that doesn't work then let us know.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StressedOutCat
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "StressedOutCat said:
    "j0rdan said:
    "no

Yes it will.

But to get a better technical answer we would need to know what modem you currently have."
    From my personal experience, my switch will not work without my router feeding the supply."
    This is depending if your connection will work without your router to begin with. if you can connect your computer directly into your modem and it works then there is no way why it wouldn't work with a switch, if your connection doesn't work when you connect your computer into your modem that's probably because your modem is in bridge mode and your router is the device establishing the connection and feeding it to your computer.
    jma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jma
    Lunarbunny said:
    "j0rdan said:
    "no

One thing that I just remembered is unless the switch or modem you use has built-in DHCP, you will need to assign static IP addresses to each machine on the network or set up one machine as a DHCP server using software (there are a number of solutions for this available, free or paid)."
    I'm not sure who doesn't know what they are talking about. Is point is totaly valid and your suggestion about DHCP seems a bit skechy. If the modem doesn't provide a DHCP service it's unlikely that it will be able to act as a gateway (or if you prefer a router). If there's something sure it's that we know too little about his configuration (maybe he only have a modem that work through PPPOE, maybe it's able to work as gateway/router. I`ve even seen this last option, but limited to the number of computer you registered with my previous ISP. Anyway, I`m not sure what are the features of that "Aeris" modem.

To know if a switch will work you can use your current router, disable DHCP  on the router and plug everything on the non-WAN connector. Most consumer grade routers are a router, a switch and an access point (if you have wireless support) in a single package. Anyway, I highly doubt that it will work.

Btw, I vote for the "buy a good router" option. Although from what I read, the problem he`s having is that he`s unable to configure his current router properly.

Lunarbunny said:

"Yes, if you don't care about the security features of a NAT router like you say, then go for a highly reviewed switch. The modem may need to use a crossover cable (or you can use a patch cable and there should be one port on the switch that allows switching between crossover/patch mode).

Note that if you have a Linksys WRT54G v4 or earlier, you can probably try replacing the firmware with something more reliable like Tomato or DD-WRT."
    NAT is not a security feature. The security it gives you is only the results of the way it`s sharing an external IP address. Unless his ISP provide multiple IP his modem, if used with a switch will need to provide NAT, anyway.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm aware it's not a security feature, per se. I also admit I was wrong and that if the modem does not provide gateway functionality, will cause issues (and we'd have to deal with wiring it through a computer that would then basically act as a router anyway).

So I guess the simplest solution to the conundrum is to not buy a shitty router. The D-Link DGL-4300 I have good personal experience with, and many people love the hackable versions of the Linksys WRT54G (v1-4 are hackable, so are the GL and GS v1-4, I recommend the GL because it's specifically a re-release of the v4 for firmware replacement)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.