Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is using a HDTV as a computer moniter as easy as computers...

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TepiDDeatH

I'm buying a new tower. Is hooking it up to my HDTV as easy as I'm lead to believe? Store websites say it's easy, but when I googled it, it looks real complicated.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Plug one end of the HDMI cable into the TV another into the graphics card. Done.

(maybe twiddle a few settings on the card, if that)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes. As long as both devices have an HDMI port, it's as simple as connecting a cable. If you run into trouble, be sure to connect the PC end first, then the TV end second.

edit: That's not meant to be sarcasm. The order in which you connect the cables can make a difference on some screens or videocards.

Avatar image for sir_loin_of_beef
    Sir_Loin_of_Beef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sir_Loin_of_Beef

@Tennmuerti said:

Plug one end of the HDMI cable into the TV another into the graphics card. Done.

(maybe twiddle a few settings on the card, if that)

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jetsetwillie

a HDTV is a monitor. there is no difference. you just plug it in.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx

Yes. It's really simple.  
    These days its just plug and play. The most you would have to do- maybe- is adjust the screen to center or change the resolution or something of that nature. But None of it is difficult.

Shadowjester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Shadowjester

I've had a couple of strange things happen using my TV as my monitor but I think it was probably driver related. And a couple of times the computer wouldn't recognize the TV as sound and video just video. But for the most part I just plugged it in and it worked.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ChaosDent

If you are building a tower, you may need to connect a digital line out from your sound board (usually your motherboard these days) to your video board in order to get audio out of HDMI. Pre-built towers and laptops should already be set up this way. Even if your video card doesn't have an HDMI port, you can get a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable and connect that way, but you would need to route audio separately. 

One of the things you may notice is that even on a 1080p HDTV, text may be unreadable and UI can be hard to navigate from the distance you would normally be sitting. Windows has settings buried somewhere under Display Settings for font smoothing and UI DPI that you can tweak if you have problems. Even with that, I wouldn't recommend hooking up a computer to a TV for purposes other than presentations or full screen games.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

Most cards with HDMI have one on-board audio chip per port that's just like the Realtek HD chip that comes on most motherboards. He won't have to connect any wires internally if he gets the right card.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By qawsed

Yeah, Control Panel -> Manage Audio Devices -> HDMI Output -> Set Default.

To make text look good, it's best to turn off your TV's picture enhancement effects (Smart Edge, Cinema Picture, Enhanced Blahblahblah).

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ChaosDent
    @MrKlorox: @qawsed: Cool, I didn't know that but it makes sense. I gave up on the HTPC / PC Gaming on TV rat race a long time ago.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Brad

@jetsetwillie said:

a HDTV is a monitor. there is no difference.

It's not quite that simple, but yeah, outputting PC to TV is pretty much plug-and-play if you have HDMI on both ends.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi

I have a 32 inch Bravia that has a VGA plug on the back. So it was simple as hooking up any other monitor. As said there ARE differences because of how sub-pixels are arranged on monitors versus HDTV's but its not an issue that should keep you away unless your an insane videophile. Your other option as stated is HDMI but personally I like to use VGA as I have my PS3 and 360 also hooked up to my TV as well as my cable box. So I take full use of every damn connector on the back of the TV pretty much.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Just make sure the HDTV isn't laggy.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ThePhantomnaut said:

Yes. Most HDTVs have a game mode that should disable the various post processing effects that introduce lag (such as 120hz smoothing, etc...). It's important to try each video mode out and try to notice any delay between when you move the mouse and when you see the cursor move.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#16  Edited By alistercat

I have been using a HDTV as my primary monitor for 4 years now. It is as simple as plugging it in. Just make sure you set it to the native resolution of the TV.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@MrKlorox said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Yes. Most HDTVs have a game mode that should disable the various post processing effects that introduce lag (such as 120hz smoothing, etc...). It's important to try each video mode out and try to notice any delay between when you move the mouse and when you see the cursor move.

For sure, though even with game mode on, there can still be some lag there unfortunately. But it will reduce a majority of the issues nonetheless.

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By TepiDDeatH

I got scared and just bought a laptop LOL. I just wanted to buy my own computer, locked from the girlfriend and kids (who are also girls. Hint?) :) 350$ at Futureshop in Canada. Not bad for a basic laptop. I can browse the web in freedom! yay! and Also don\t have to worry about "Grandma! Ryan broke the computer you bought us!" lol

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Canteu

To this day I still can't get audio through my TV using an HDMI cable through my Nvidia card. I just gave up.

Video is fine since I use it as my monitor, I'd just love to not have to wear headphones every once in a while :(

But if you're using headphones then sure, just plug it in like a monitor.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

@MrKlorox said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

I actually need to figure out if there is an on/off setting for this. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to Component (old version and no HDMI cables), and in some games there are one or two audio effects that delay up to three seconds. I have a Haier 28 in. 720p HDTV, (yes, it's not the greatest brand, but I got in on the cheap, and have had no issues).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Brad said:

@jetsetwillie said:

a HDTV is a monitor. there is no difference.

It's not quite that simple, but yeah, outputting PC to TV is pretty much plug-and-play if you have HDMI on both ends.

Yeah, you need to set your input on the TV and likely set the TV to Game mode.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Napalm: How is the audio hooked up? The red and white RCA cables directly into your TV? Or do you use a receiver or optical or something? Is the sound also out of sync with the video, or just the controller input?

If you're using all RCA cables directly into your TV, it might just be the way it handles analog input. Try going through the menus and playing with the settings on the TV while having a game loaded up where you can move and make noises on the fly and check for any subtle differences. Also try and keep in mind what you changed in case there's no reset option.
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By fattony12000

I've been doing it on my seven year old shitty 1080i (that's 1080 INTERLACED) HDTV for...well...seven years, it doesn't even have HDMI!

No Caption Provided

Just plug that hot hot cable into your sexy TV, and away you go.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Napalm said:

@MrKlorox said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

I actually need to figure out if there is an on/off setting for this. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to Component (old version and no HDMI cables), and in some games there are one or two audio effects that delay up to three seconds. I have a Haier 28 in. 720p HDTV, (yes, it's not the greatest brand, but I got in on the cheap, and have had no issues).

HDTVs and monitors might have special visual options including a Game Mode which is intended to remove a majority of the post procesing. If you have a VGA input, it should automatically remove the post-processing.

Aldrenar47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aldrenar47

@Napalm: No need to defend Haier, they aren't "off-brand" really, just not well known in the West. Apparently they are huge in China where they dominate the major appliances field. I know this because I did some research on them before picking up a very nice 32-inch HDTV on a killer sale. Audio quality on it isn't the best but I couldn't really ask for better picture quality (which is what counts as audio is fixable with speakers and such).

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By benspyda

Mine was very easy as my vid card support hdmi video/audio out so it was just a matter of plug it up. Depends if you vid card supports hdmi out I guess. Then I just had to set it to game mode on the tv.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.