Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Monitor Problems... Help!?

bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bongoboy

Just today I purchased an Nvidia GTX460 by Asus. The two problems I am having with it are: 1. The monitor, which is connects through the graphics card, is not responding when I turn on the computer. I've switched it on and off and it only tells me "no signal". Any one know what the problem could be and how to get it to work?
    2. When I plug to monitor directly into the computer it allows me to see the desktop and everything, but the computer does not recognize that there is a graphics card in the graphics card slot. I have updated to driver for the card from Nvidia's site and even uninstalled the driver for my previous card. Any one have a solution for this problem?

EDIT: Google-ing the problem I found two common solutions:
    1. The person returned the card
    2. The person had a simple mistake like the card wasn't inserted correctly

EDIT: Previously I purchased a Radeon HD 5770 and had to return that because the screen would periodically flash black and freeze while playing a game. Could this be related, like my motherboard is having problems?
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

How did you derive no. 2?  Is it that it just doesn't appear in the device manager at all?  Just a wild guess but it seems like your graphics card isn't properly powered up by your power supply.  What is the power output of your power supply?

bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bongoboy
    @ShiftyMagician: My power supply is 600W and the card requires 400W.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shiftymagician
    @bongoboy:
    I know this will sound really redundant, but check if the card connection is actually fitted properly with the motherboard slot.  Also check to see that the card itself looks like it is powered and working.  If the fan is running and if it has an led and it is on, usually a sign that it "should" be connected.  
    I only say this because one day I had a friend with a similar issue but for a different type of card and I found that the motherboard wasn't elevated enough from the case to fit the cards properly.  Just check that your bases are covered for now and definitely google around for that specific card with this issue or similar.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure of what the rest of your setup is like to know if the 600W will do or if you need to bump up to 650W or larger.  I doubt you will need more than 650W anyway for regular 1-card setups.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Sometimes I get no picture for gtx 460 occassionally. I just turn off the pc, then turn it back on 30 minutes later, it tends to start again. Then again that solves my problem, not sure about yours. Hopefully you didn't get dead on arrival card.

bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bongoboy
    @ShiftyMagician: Say the fan isn't running. The card seems to be properly inserted into the motherboard, and everything is in properly, so does that mean I got a faulty graphics card? Should I return it?

EDIT: Oops. My fan actually is working, just booted up the computer again and it was spinning.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By Geno

Did you also properly insert the PCIe 2.0 power connectors? It's the little thingies that go here: 

A lot of people forget this step. 
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Geno said:
    " Did you also properly insert the PCIe 2.0 power connectors? It's the little thingies that go here: 

A lot of people forget this step. 
    "
    Ugh I probably should have explicitly said this too as I generalized it to the word "powered" in my last post. Thanks for actually stating this key step dude.

@bongoboy: check the quote.  Most mid to high-end cards will need to be additionally powered through these connectors before they can even work.
    bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bongoboy
    @Geno @ShiftyMagician: Yeah those are in.

The system only recognizes that there is an on-board graphics card in and not the new card I just purchased. I remember a long time ago reading something in Maximum PC where you had to go into the BIOS to select that you did not want to use the on-board graphics but instead used the expansion card, or something to that effect. Is this something I should do?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Geno

When you go into Device Manager, under "Display Adapters" what do you see? 

bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bongoboy

I figured out what was happening. Basically, the little tab that is on either side of a RAM stick was not allowing my graphics card to go down all of the way (diagram below). This caused the card to not be recognizable by the computer. I can not believe I missed that mistake. I went out and purchased a new motherboard with more space so this problem does not occur again. Thanks to everyone for your help.  :) 

My problem.
     My problem.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
    @bongoboy: No worries, glad you got it fixed. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.