Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need research data regarding your computer's power watt supply

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Geno
    @Damodar: According to the article, "  On top of that, all the systems that contained these power supplies were connected through either uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) with good filters or to APS surge suppressors with good filters. ". So he had plenty of power protection, in a house that was rated clean in energy relatively recently. But facts are never a deterrent for Hitman, as you'll learn. 
    HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By HS21

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#53  Edited By Geno
    @HS21 said:
    "

"
    <3
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Ryax: you always been a backstabber, your like geno's best friend and your backing him up. That is what is happening here.  

Anyways let's get back on topic, so i'm going to look into this, it's not solar power, however the UPS as someone said that might be the problem. I'll ask more questions about it on tested.com, I suppose the solar panels is powering this thing? How long does a UPS last for, won't it cause a power surge if it's interupted? Is there some kind of backup mode if there isn't enough power generated? Three years ago is not recent for an inspection. More narcissistic insults as expected down to the letter as stated from that article. The article told me not to talk with narcissistic ppl, it's a real mental illness and I should probally block communications from now on. Thanks again for proving my point as your so willing to prove your mental illness in front of other ppl insulting me again.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By MrKlorox

I've had two die recently on my mom's computer. But they were ultra cheapies.

And I've had one of my own die a number of years back.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By BraveToaster

This is really classy.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Axxol said:
    " This is really classy. "
    It's like sitting back and watching the world burn.
    Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Skogen

I had a Thermaltake 500W die a couple years back for no apparent reason.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By Lunarbunny

Not sure where you're getting "watt" in "Power Supply [Unit]," "watt" is a measurement of energy determined by multiplying volts*amperes. 

I've had two failures: 
    Cheap no-name 350w PSU that I knew was dying but didn't replace fast enough. I bought it in like 2003 bundled with a case for $50 and it lasted about 3 years. This resulted in damage to my motherboard which killed the GeForce FX5900XT I had at the time, and also killed the Riva TNT2 I used as a temporary replacement card after replacing the power supply. All other components were left intact. My guess for failure: likely capacitor failure, due to the slow death I failed to address.
    Antec TruePower-II 430w that coincidentally died the same day I received a replacement Antec TruePower Trio 550w that I now use. No damage, probably because it wasn't cheap and therefore had overvoltage/overcurrent protection. My guess for failure: I had it loaded pretty heavily and wasn't being careful, so I may have overdrawn this supply.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By korwin

Had an Antec 500 watt phantom die on my once.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By shirogane

The only power supply that's died on me is one that i killed myself by setting it to the wrong voltage and frying it. 

I'm currently using a 550w Aerocool PSU in this PC. Working fine for me.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By ch13696
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Red12b
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Ryax: you always been a backstabber, your like geno's best friend and your backing him up. That is what is happening here.  

Question, How can he be stabbing you in the back on a public forum? Backstabbing is like, treating you kindly and then talking badly behind your back in say...A massive PM or something,  
    I would think writing a comment down on a thread would be considered Face stabbing, you could even elaborate on that and call it face and neck stabbing... 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Uninterruptible power supply @ wikipedia

An uninterruptible power supply, also uninterruptible power source, UPS or battery/flywheel backup, is an electrical apparatus that provides emergency power to a load when the input power source, typically the utility mains, fails. A UPS differs from an auxiliary or emergency power system or standby generator in that it will provide instantaneous or near-instantaneous protection from input power interruptions by means of one or more attached batteries and associated electronic circuitry for low power users, and or by means of diesel generators and flywheels for high power users. The on-battery runtime of most uninterruptible power sources is relatively short—5–15 minutes being typical for smaller units—but sufficient to allow time to bring an auxiliary power source on line, or to properly shut down the protected equipment. 

The primary role of any UPS is to provide short-term power when the input power source fails. However, most UPS units are also capable in varying degrees of correcting common utility power problems:
    1. Power failure: defined as a total loss of input voltage.
    2. Surge: defined as a momentary or sustained increase in the mains voltage.
    3. Sag: defined as a momentary or sustained reduction in input voltage.
    4. Spikes, defined as a brief high voltage excursion.
    5. Noise, defined as a high frequency transient or oscillation, usually injected into the line by nearby equipment.
    6. Frequency instability: defined as temporary changes in the mains frequency.
    7. Harmonic distortion: defined as a departure from the ideal sinusoidal waveform expected on the line.

The whole purpose of things like UPS's and Line Filters is to provide digital equipment with uninterrupted, clean power.  However, even in the best of circumstances many general quality (non-industrial) such devices cannot guarantee clean, stable power delivery.   Also, many UPS's have a reporting and management console connection (generally RS232 and in some modern cases; USB - both serial of course) which is designed to work in concert with supplied software which integrates with the host OS power management aspect.  Sometimes that software can be faulty and it can cause the UPS to mismanage its own power delivery systems.   

That information, coupled with a location (Silicon Valley) which is known for having power delivery issues (monopolised grid being outstripped and constantly upgraded to meet commercial demands of large data centers and an expanding population many of whom work specifically with multiple systems at a time) and a person whose job it is to review hardware (and so is probably often changing parts around on multiple systems) could lead to the kind of issues as noted in the article.  Essentially, the odds weigh strongly against the survival rate of his hardware and PSU's will (and should, all things being equal, given they are made correctly) die before other components.  Part of a well made modern PSU's job is to protect other components from poor mains power delivery (it's why they have inbuilt circuit breakers/fuses and other such components included, it's also part of the reason why we now have BRONZE SILVER and GOLD 80/85 ratings for branded product - they are tested to perform efficiently at 80-85% load, that means they shouldn't overheat or deliver "noisy" power within 15-20% of full demand). 

I think it's highly unlikely the Solar Power delivery system would be taking down his power supplies because it's not the point to where the PCs are connected in the circuit.  They are connected to the line filters and UPS's.  It could be that he's placing too many demands on his home power system and that may have a lot more to do with Amperage rather than Wattage.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#65  Edited By beargirl1

wut

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @AjayRaz:  Haha.  Ayane am disappoint.  She can hax putorz.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#67  Edited By beargirl1
    @SeriouslyNow: OMG NUDEZ
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#68  Edited By mike

I'm closing this topic, take it back to Tested where it started. Don't spread your little flame wars amongst other Whiskey sites, please. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.