Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Nvidia GTX680 video.

• 75 results
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dallas_Raines
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

I won't be buying the 680, but I'll totally be buying the $250 price point alternative.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva

That sounds like pretty awesome tech, although yeah, the price is steep. Would probably buy a 580 instead.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

i have a 580 dont know if i want to get a 680 but i just might. God i love hardware revisions.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Branthog

Just not interested in the current cards on either side. It's the 690 and the 7990 that I'm waiting for (the dual GPU cards). I thought they were supposed to be out this month, but who knows. I'm getting anxious, here, because Ivy Bridge 3770K is here in a couple days and I'm just waiting around for the god damn video cards to get out and be benched so I can start stuffing it into my pending MountainMods case (the current build is going to be with the Ascension - Extended chassis -- a 24"Hx24D"x18W" system).

Unfortunately, if the 680 is coming out at around $600 or more, that doesn't bode well for the 690. I'm used to paying around $700 or so for a card, but that's really about the limit.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kishinfoulux
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

So they're throttling the GPU's 3D clocks now. Yeah, I'd probably disable that.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

So if I don't eat...wash my clothes in the bath...cancel my cable...steal my neighbors electricity...I should have one of these bad boys in...carry the 2...23 log 934...aghanim's scepter principle...I should have one of these bad boys in 4 months. Then I'm going to use it exclusively to play WoW so it makes people angry muhuhahahahaha

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FritzDude

That guy from the video looks like that dude from Mega64.

But on topic, I don't see the point spending so much money on graphics, but then again I don't see much point in a lot of things really. I would want that GPU, along with a new machine, if I had the money to afford it, which I don't, sooo. Would you kindly buy me one?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

So good.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Come on... come one lower the 560ti's price (or prices) down to something I could afford.

£10 preferably.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

Oh god, I wonder how much that's going to cost. As long as it brings down the cost of the 570s so I can get a second one for SLI, then that's all I care about.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jking47

Awesome, this will make the other cards a bit cheaper, so I can get a 560 SLI set up going.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

Looks good for lowering the 560 down. Building a new PC so wonder what I should do. Think the leap will be in the 780/760 time next year.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shivoa

Looks quite interesting; still waiting on the official NDA to lapse so all the tech sites can give us the report of what they've been told, they've benchmarked, and they've considered (as it has been a couple of weeks since they got access) but it looks to be interesting. Hopefully the prices will be good (thinking more of the 670 and 660Ti products that carry the typical enthusiast friendly prices rather than the 680 really, buying big or even dual-GPU is great but it's not a great value proposition, even the 670 tier is a bit throwing money because you've got it to spare rather than sanely looking* at the performance per dollar) and their dynamic overclocking (which is what CPUs have all been doing for a couple of years, working within a thermal envelope and changing speed to get the best performance at any moment; AMD have this in their current cards but I think they sell it as clocking back when it gets too hot rather than clocking up when there is headroom, "Intelligent TDP management technology") should give some interesting performance characteristics (when you're in the most complicated scene then possibly you're flogging the GPU the hardest so it runs the slowest - how that balances out and avoid yoyoing should be an interesting thing to see).

Looks like it's not long now before everyone is looking at a full complement of upgrade options. Maybe my GTX470 is getting a bit old (and definitely a bit warm, 80 to 90 C isn't a great operating window for a chip) and could do with a cooler, quieter replacement with some extra umph. But I'm not spending $600 to do it so it'll be decided by how competitive their $350 part is and how much of an upgrade it'll provide me.

* I say this as someone who regularly lacks sanity when actually buying my hardware.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dillonwerner

@scarace360: Send me your 580 if you do upgrade?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scarace360

@DillonWerner said:

@scarace360: Send me your 580 if you do upgrade?

nope also dont know i might wait for the 700 series.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Subjugation

Man, too bad these cards always launch at such a high price.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Branthog

@Shivoa said:

Looks quite interesting; still waiting on the official NDA to lapse so all the tech sites can give us the report of what they've been told, they've benchmarked, and they've considered (as it has been a couple of weeks since they got access) but it looks to be interesting. Hopefully the prices will be good (thinking more of the 670 and 660Ti products that carry the typical enthusiast friendly prices rather than the 680 really, buying big or even dual-GPU is great but it's not a great value proposition, even the 670 tier is a bit throwing money because you've got it to spare rather than sanely looking* at the performance per dollar) and their dynamic overclocking (which is what CPUs have all been doing for a couple of years, working within a thermal envelope and changing speed to get the best performance at any moment; AMD have this in their current cards but I think they sell it as clocking back when it gets too hot rather than clocking up when there is headroom, "Intelligent TDP management technology") should give some interesting performance characteristics (when you're in the most complicated scene then possibly you're flogging the GPU the hardest so it runs the slowest - how that balances out and avoid yoyoing should be an interesting thing to see).

Looks like it's not long now before everyone is looking at a full complement of upgrade options. Maybe my GTX470 is getting a bit old (and definitely a bit warm, 80 to 90 C isn't a great operating window for a chip) and could do with a cooler, quieter replacement with some extra umph. But I'm not spending $600 to do it so it'll be decided by how competitive their $350 part is and how much of an upgrade it'll provide me.

* I say this as someone who regularly lacks sanity when actually buying my hardware.

Sadly, I haven't paid less than $500 for a card in about ten years and I haven't paid less than $700 for a card in about five years. While it seems crazy, I just figure that the system is going to serve me for one or two full years and if I can get something significantly better for only another $300.... well... why not? I obviously wouldn't spend $1,000 on it, but . . .

I"m just worried about what price the 690 and the 7990 will come out at. I want one very bad, but if we're talking $800 or $900, I can't rationalize that (but, strangely, I'm fine with $720!). Also, since there seems to be less overhead in the newest range of cards on both sides of the aisle when it comes to SLI/CrossFire, I might even go with dual dual-GPUs.

It's fucking dumb, I know. God damn it, I can't stop myself. Worse, this new build is going to be watercooled, so on top of a pair of $700+ cards, I'll be spending a few hundred more on just the blocks and tubes for the loop the GPUs are on.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder
    wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wadtomaton

I'll end up with whatever the $250 - $300 model is (GTX 660 from the looks of it). Then again the way things seems to be going by the time I get around to building my pc the mid season replacements will be in for the GTX 6 series and I'll end up with one of those XD

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

@Branthog said:

@Shivoa said:

Sadly, I haven't paid less than $500 for a card in about ten years and I haven't paid less than $700 for a card in about five years. While it seems crazy, I just figure that the system is going to serve me for one or two full years and if I can get something significantly better for only another $300.... well... why not? I obviously wouldn't spend $1,000 on it, but . . .

I"m just worried about what price the 690 and the 7990 will come out at. I want one very bad, but if we're talking $800 or $900, I can't rationalize that (but, strangely, I'm fine with $720!). Also, since there seems to be less overhead in the newest range of cards on both sides of the aisle when it comes to SLI/CrossFire, I might even go with dual dual-GPUs.

It's fucking dumb, I know. God damn it, I can't stop myself. Worse, this new build is going to be watercooled, so on top of a pair of $700+ cards, I'll be spending a few hundred more on just the blocks and tubes for the loop the GPUs are on.

You should be running, I dunno, Skynet or something on that rig by now. Gee, I'd be happy to have something that can run things at ~40 frames, medium settings. Just out of curiosity, what do you actually use all of that power on?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Until a few minutes ago I was proud of my GTX 580 :(

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By korwin

Probably buying 2 of these.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By benspyda

Second gen of Keplers probably gonna be worth waiting for. That or whatever the one after that is called I forget.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StrikeALight

PC enthusiasts are fucking insane. I'm genuinely glad they exist, but man.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm still pretty happy with my GTX460.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Vorbis

I think I'm done with the hassle of crossfire SLI, time to go back to one GPU and this one seems like the best candidate, especially with Planetside 2 on the horizon.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 71Ranchero
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Samaritan

Will I be able to simulate every individual hair in that man-playing-Skyrim's beard?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By korwin

@StrikeALight said:

PC enthusiasts are fucking insane. I'm genuinely glad they exist, but man.

We're like the digital off shoot of the rev head subspecies, we tune CPU's instead of Mustangs.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Jams

I want to get a new graphics card, but my 285 GTX can max out just about everything still. Though seeing that video makes me think it's time to upgrade anyways.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#34  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Days like today I really wish I had a job. I'd buy that shit up in a minute.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By VACkillers

LoL @ Sparky, yeah i would too haha!

The GTX 580s are still amazing, and at newegg their priced at $380, for THAT price, and THAT much horsepower, its dumb not to get one of those cards right now. the GTX 570 has gone down to what the gtx 560s price range was, which was around $270 so yeah, NOWS the time to buy up a nice monster card, i dont have 500-600 bucks to flash out on the 680s or i'd get that myself, but damn, for 380 bucks for a 580, hell yeah!

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By planetary

One day, Brad Shoemaker will end up with a beard like that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus

A graphics card that costs more than two xbox's... When I build my PC (probably in May sometime) I'll still probably go with a 570 or something.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Andorski

Gah, I wished I waited two months to build my rig - with the release of the GTX 6XX series, I could have gotten my current 570 at a better price. Although with the price drop of the older GTX 5XX series, the cash-wasting side of me is thinking about picking up another card for SLI. To those who have been using dual SLI cards for a while - what is the experience like? Do most games work perfectly with two cards right out of the box, or is it common to wait for developers to patch proper support for such a set-up?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By VACkillers

the experience i've found with dual gtx 560s is double the frame rates in every game to when i was only using one. I think the general consensus is that when you double up GFX cards, you essentially are doubling the performance so long as you aren't bottlenecking the machine with a crap CPU.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shivoa

@TooWalrus said:

A graphics card that costs more than two xbox's... When I build my PC (probably in May sometime) I'll still probably go with a 570 or something.

Yes, shocking. High end GPUs, when new, cost (typically $500-550) almost as much as a PS3, when new ($600). Still an apples to oranges but at least it isn't comparing the price of new apples to old oranges.

On SLI or CF: until the driver supports it then games may not have any performance increase over a single card. So if you buy and play a lot of PC games on the first day of release then SLI isn't the best of plans. Sometimes big name titles take a month to get good or non-broken SLI drivers, sometimes the updates comes a few days before the game's release and everyone can be happy. But you're definitely getting a machine that has more potential performance and less cost than buying a single fast card (especially to people who already own a single quite fast card). The price-performance curve goes way up so a $250 GPU is much quicker than half the speed of a $500 GPU (and the added cost of getting a good 750W+ PSU isn't bad) but the number of techy people who don't do it should indicate it isn't an obvious right choice. Personally I float on regular $350 GPU upgrades (every 2.5-4 years) rather than going SLI, but I can see the attraction. I don't think there's a 'right' answer, but go through the last releases you played at launch and the driver notes and see if owning SLI in the last year would have put a damper on your experience.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Looks like some cool stuff. I'm really glad I didn't drop the money on a 560Ti 448-core now and held on to my 5770 as long as possible.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By randiolo

i now kind of want to build a super high end PC.. this can only end well.. anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shivoa

@randiolo: Super-high end is currently i7-3xxx (4 core 'budget' CPU for $320 or spend north of $500 on a 6 core full-fat beast) with 4 RAM slots (to get the quad channel bandwidth) on an LGA2011 motherboard (budget $300, hope you find a model you like for less).

Gaming extreme performance is (until Intel release their mild update in April-Summer area, which gives you lower heat, a mild speed boost per dollar, and a better iGPU which you won't use for gaming and so only really matters for making their video encoding/transcoding hardware potentially faster) a $220 i5-2500K, two sticks of RAM (2x4GB for $40 with DDR3-1600MHz/CL9 stuff), and a $100+ Z68 motherboard (just like CPUs, refresh incoming this Summer but it's not an incredible upgrade, you might as well buy a Z68 that is certified PCI-E 3.0 ready).

And dump the biggest GPU you can onto either of them. This 680 is probably going to be the king for a while, the AMD 7970 is definitely fast but they've spend the extra transistors they got in the die shrink making the GPGPU performance catch up with nVidia rather than making it really compelling for gaming. That means the new AMD cards are no longer weaker than nVidia for BF3 or other games that use GPGPU code but maybe nVidia will use their extra transistors to make something with real performance increase for gaming and a decent price (AMD's 7xxx cards have all been released with basically the price/performance only ever so slightly better than the 12 months old stuff they replaced - new is better but in a cynically targeted way that ignores the die shrink makes all of these GPUs cheaper to make than the things they replace at the same performance level).

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By randiolo

@Shivoa: that isa tonne of info thanks man, since i dont have the know how to put all this together il have to look around for a pc workshop. Not easy to find here in Australia. Im hoping to have something that will keep up with next gen at least for a while.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By unchained

I'll be taking the plunge for a 680. Probably around July. Coincidentally, my birthday is around then.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AndrewB

@Unchained said:

I'll be taking the plunge for a 680. Probably around July. Coincidentally, my birthday is around then.

If another article is to be believed, then the next generation of Nvidia GPUS will be releasing shortly after in August... I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that, though. It's still irritating deciding when to buy when you're seeing news of the next gen before this gen has even released.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Branthog said:

Just not interested in the current cards on either side. It's the 690 and the 7990 that I'm waiting for (the dual GPU cards). I thought they were supposed to be out this month, but who knows. I'm getting anxious, here, because Ivy Bridge 3770K is here in a couple days and I'm just waiting around for the god damn video cards to get out and be benched so I can start stuffing it into my pending MountainMods case (the current build is going to be with the Ascension - Extended chassis -- a 24"Hx24D"x18W" system).

Unfortunately, if the 680 is coming out at around $600 or more, that doesn't bode well for the 690. I'm used to paying around $700 or so for a card, but that's really about the limit.

Dual GPU cards are never what they promise to be. 
    Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shivoa

The truth is out there (there are a lot of rumour articles that just got debunked), NDA is lifted, reviews are up.

[expletive deleted] nVidia have decided that they're not going to let AMD talk about the GPU price war as something that had to end. GTX680 for $499, small agile rebuild of the old GPU design from nVidia means that price will go down in the future (it takes less silicon to make a 680 compared to a 580 so once 28nm is mature that should mean prices drop down) but performance is up today (while being relatively cool and quiet).

I wonder what the 670 and 660Ti will be like when they launch. I also wonder if we'll see a 685 or what the 780 will be like next year if they start to build up from this new streamlined design and bulk up the processing units or extend the memory bus back to the level they were at before.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AndrewB
    Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shivoa

@AndrewB: Most expensive for now, there is a full fat GPU design somewhere in nVidia waiting to come out (that could slot into that $700 price point normally reserved for dual-GPU cards) because this (while being the fastest consumer card for games) isn't the compute monster successor to the Fermi GPU that powered the 580/570/480/470 cards. It's what you get when you rebuild the 560Ti style GPU with the new 28nm die shrink to pump it up into a beast.

Normally nVidia lead with their big behemoth GPU to take the performance crown and then release the FP64 unlocked version to their pro side as Tesla. This time their small (and gaming only, not GPGPU/compute heavy) GPU was fast enough to be the best out there so it gets the x80 name and $500 release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.