Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Radeon 4850 worth it to buy?

Avatar image for risingsunset7890
    risingsunset7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By risingsunset7890

Hi guys, new to the forums here. Recently I've built my own PC, but chucked in my old 8600 GTS video card to save money. Now its time to buy a video card. My requirements are that it be under $100, and from ATI since i intend to use it for crossfire later on. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102824  

whaddya guys think? and thanks a lot for the help!  

EDIT: probably should mention my current set up 

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz
    4 GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066   
    700W OCZ Modstream PSU 
    512MB PNY 8600 GTS 

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By eldiax

I have it for almost a year now and I'm liking it very much, never had any problems with it. It has an excellent performance for it's price.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner

Looks like a pretty good deal. I say go for it. 

though i dont really recommend crossfire later on. Much more cost efficient to just buy single, more powerful cards.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By timay

The ati  HD4800 series are all great cards. I have a 4870 which works great.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oDawg

obviously try for a 4870 :)

LK_Samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LK_Samurai

had mine for almost a year now - great card, definately recommend it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Ive had it for a few months, runs COD4 at about 70-100 FPS and fallout 3 well with only occasional, minor lag (i also have it at 1920 by 1080, which is why this happens) 
    I would shoot for a 4870 if you can though. This card might get outdated fast.
    Haggard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Haggard

Check the price of it against the GTX 260 216-core. That card outstrips even the 4870 in most games, and hovers around the same price range.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

Crossfire and SLI are both dumb, you should buy the best card you can for the current amount of money you have. If you can get a second card free or insanely cheap, sure run crossfire or SLI however the 30% performance gain can easily be overcome in a year or so with a single new graphics card to replace the original. I'd say go with the 4870 or save up a little more and go 4890. I generally upgrade my graphics card every other  generation. For me I was at an 8800GTS G92 and went to a GTX280 over a month ago; skipping the 9 series.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Skip SLi and crossfire. 100% price to pay for 30% performance gain. 

And yeah the 48xx cards are good but run a little too hot imo.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Heh I made almost this exact topic about a month ago.  Ripped out my old 8400GS and put in a 4850.  It's served me well since, I can run most games comfortably on the highest settings, TF2 and L4D look great with it.  The only games I've installed and really had trouble with are Crysis and ArmA2, they seem to give quite inconsistant frame rate with occasional drops.  2bh though I'm pretty sure that's got a lot to do with the temperature that the card is running at, granted this PC has pretty bad cooling but according to GPU-Z the card idles at about 60C and while I'm playing games it can creep upto 85 which is roughly when I notice my frame rate dropping. 

I think I'm going to open this PC up this week now to see if cables are restricting airflow or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.