Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Re-Building a 6 year old pre-built pc,need help!

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By teh_destroyer

A month ago my comp blew up on me,both my ram,video card,and motherboard are toast.So i decided that with my upcoming tax return I was going to just rebuild it.I need to know what type of ram I should get,I know I want 4 gigs worth of it for Windows Vista,but I don't know which brand I should be looking for.I would like to get a 512mb video card,and I have had fun with a 128mb ATI Radeon 9800pro card during those years,so I would not mind going for another Radeon card again.Not so sure of where to begin of what type of Motherboard to get.So hardware gaming folks,help me re-build my pc!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Im never had a problem with kingston or crucial.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

You can always look around on newegg.com. The reviews of products on that site are generally from people who know what they are talking about. And it's pretty clear on what the most popular items are so it's a good place to see all your best options.

keviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By keviar

i think you should support the economy and purchase another computer instead of using that old bucket of bolts.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    keviar said:
    "i think you should support the economy and purchase another computer instead of using that old bucket of bolts.
    "
    That's good too...
    keviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By keviar

lol always JJWeatherman said:

"keviar said:
    "i think you should support the economy and purchase another computer instead of using that old bucket of bolts.
    "
    That's good too...
    "
    lol, gotta always think about what's best in the long run. Besides new is shiny
    BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Yeah, go to NewEgg and get your parts. It'd actually be less expensive to just start from scratch.  Go find a good mobo with SLI capability, as good a Geforce card as you can afford, and 4gb of RAM from a good company  (Kingston & Crucial, as mentioned above are good). Go put yourself a decen HD and DVD drive in and you're good to go.  Most onboard sound cards today will get the job done just fine. Those SoundBlaster cards, while neat, aren't all that necessary IMO.  All told, you could probably get a good gaming PC for under $800.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_destroyer
    keviar said:
    "
    I did think about doing that,but I have a trip coming up that half of my tax return is going too.So if I can rebuild it for $800 then that would make me happy.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny

I paid $750 or so in October for an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800, Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz), and 2 ATI Radeon HD4850s (set up in CrossFire).

4850 is a solid card and if you're really looking for a single-card only setup, then maybe the 4870. There's also a 4830 which I hear is decent if you're feeling cheap.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I got them all on Newegg, check combo deals for motherboards and RAM too.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Dude it's almost never worth rebuilding a computer. You can get a rig that'll run every game (other than Crysis) balls-out for $800 with a case. It won't be top of the line or cutting edge, but that's not needed unless you want to brag about benchmarks. That is this misconception about PC gaming and users having to spend thousands of dollars on a new gaming grade system. This is just simply untrue and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're just blowing smoke up your ass. If you can't quite afford it right now, hold onto the money you can spend and pile a little bit on top of it. It'll be worth it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK

get a wii

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By teh_destroyer

While browsing around bestbuy.com for laptops and desktops and the such,I stumbled across this.
    They are asking $900 for it,which is a bit more than I am looking for,but it looks and sounds really kick ass.What do you all think?

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maru
    teh_destroyer said:
    "While browsing around bestbuy.com for laptops and desktops and the such,I stumbled across this.They are asking $900 for it,which is a bit more than I am looking for,but it looks and sounds really kick ass.What do you all think?"
    I would not get a laptop unless you really need one for specific purpose.  They are fragile and will underperform when compared to desktops.
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By teh_destroyer
    Maru said:
    "teh_destroyer said:
    "While browsing around bestbuy.com for laptops and desktops and the such,I stumbled across this.They are asking $900 for it,which is a bit more than I am looking for,but it looks and sounds really kick ass.What do you all think?"
    I would not get a laptop unless you really need one for specific purpose.  They are fragile and will underperform when compared to desktops."
    indeed,although it is an HP product and I trust them,they have fantastic hardware.Hell,I am borrowing an HP desktop from my older sister,the beast is over 7 years old and still running.So if I decide to get this I expect it to at least least me several years.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I would never buy a computer from Best Buy. Nor would I ever buy a pre-packaged PC other than a Mac. If you cannot build it yourself, get a small shop to do it for you. That way you can customize it, know who built it and what is inside.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alex_Murphy

When you say 'rebuild' I am assuming you're going to take everything out o the case and start from scratch since your motherboard and video card are gone. The last time I put a computer I got the parts from here; www.pricewatch.com Great site to compare prices on specific computer parts.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MC_Izawa

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/03/03/what-hardware-should-i-buy-march-2009/2

If you don't have $600 just wait and save.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StressedOutCat

Well you say rebuild, however you haven't mentioned which parts of the old computer you would like to reuse, and exactly how much you were thinking on spending.
    This should help us here to give you better advise about this subject.

Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Peach
    crunchUK said:
    "get a wii"
    Oh god.... no. NOOOOOO!
    *camera does extra close zoom of face*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.