Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

This is why I limit my PC gaming. Caution: rant ahead!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    Not.  Fucking.  Legally.   You can't legally resell your console games.
    Of course it's legal, otherwise can you imagine the legal trouble Gamestop would have gotten into years ago?  Amazon?  Best Buy?  Dozens of other retailers?

It was borderline legal years ago when Gamestop allowed you to even trade in used PC games, but you had to sign a document saying you've fully uninstalled the game and never copied it.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Capum15

I've had no problems with PC games.

On top of that, I'm mostly a console gamer.

And you know, Oldschool, you're no better than Hitler and the Nazi's with your ignorance. Ignorance of other cultures (in this case, PC) caused the Holocaust (well, Hate, too...you hate PC, don'cha? I can tell). Is that what you want? I bet it is.

/Godwin'd.
    //had too, sorry.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Look, the licenses are non-transferrable so therefore while the trade and sale of a second hand game media can be a somewhat legal grey area, the end user cannot in any way transfer that license to another end user via a bill of sale.    

People do what they do and Gamestop's trade is as much bolstered by new retail sales as it is secondhand sales, so most vendors turn a blind eye because the new sales fill in their bottom line.  You don't need to sign a document to agree to a EULA.

Of course the first sale doctrine is something that many people will fall back on to justify their point of view on reselling second hand games.  It proved to work for CDs but then CDs are not delivered with EULAs either,

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow said:

Look, the licenses are non-transferrable so therefore while the trade and sale of a second hand game media can be a somewhat legal grey area, the end user cannot in any way transfer that license to another end user via a bill of sale.      People do what they do and Gamestop's trade is as much bolstered by new retail sales as it is secondhand sales, so most vendors turn a blind eye because the new sales fill in their bottom line.  You don't need to sign a document to agree to a EULA.

A EULA can say whatever it wants as far as reselling but no court would back it up.  The law recognizes the property value of owning a 'copy' of a copyrighted work.  The 'license' of EULAs is not legally binding the way they want to make you think.  If I buy a physical disk at a store as far as the law is concerned that is an object that can be 100% legally resold (at least under all current law in the US).

In fact companies that try to enforce software licenses in the past by revoking rights for reselling and such have been successfully sued by individuals in the past.

Now obviously in this age of digital purchases the law won't protect someone who buys a digital copy of a game and has it revoked for trying to resell it.  That's just a quirk of the division between the old law interpretation of the physical world versus the new one.

@SeriouslyNow said:
    Of course the first sale doctrine is something that many people will fall back on to justify their point of view on reselling second hand games.  It proved to work for CDs but then CDs are not delivered with EULAs either
    I thought you were against the corporate world stomping all over our rights?  Either way console games aren't delivered with EULAs like some PC software is either.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I feel awful defending these laws and EULAs no doubt, but by the same token, I feel as if oldschool isn't interested in his rights insomuch as he's just a bargain hunter who wants his cake and wants to eat it too.  Calling PC gaming unfriendly by way of failing to acknowledge how Steam's digital licensing system works just so he can grab a hugely valuable bundle such as the Orange Box for a piddling $10 really annoys me.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By Cube
    @oldschool:  I'm a console gamer too! Woo for lesser beings! Except I understand the concept of CD Keys. Apparently you do not.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#107  Edited By oldschool
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " Repeat:  I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why I don't have to register my movie dvd or music cd and how it is, I own it and can resell it, yet, for some bizarre reason, you don't own a game, even if you pay $100 for it, you are just renting it? "
     The reason why you don't have to register any DVD or movie you is the same reason you don't have to register any console game you own - the licensing costs are offset into the cost of the console and online services provided - hence the certification badges slapped on boxes.  Honestly oldschool, you're sounding more and more like a troll with each post.  People who are only reasonably informed know this basic shit and yet, you somehow are confounded by simplest stuff.   Software is protected by the same copyright law as movies and all you are allowed to do is use the software within the boundaries of that law.   Go back to buying your second hand games while holding on to the pretense that you're supporting an industry you absolutely do not understand or really suppport and choose to remind blind to. "
    You really are a dick.  That first part makes no sense at all, not even a little.  Licensing costs offset by the cost of the console?  So Sony make a loss on every console sold and yet also offset the licensing costs?  Also on the online service?  How does relate to a game you don't play online with?  How does that relate to a movie?  How is that offset when you put it in a machine and press play?  Wow. 

Copyright laws protect a game from being used illegally - copying and selling, public broadcast, just making a profit in general, or causing the owner to make a loss (by making it freely available to others).  It does not stop you from selling it to a friend or store.  It does not stop you from giving it away.  It does not stop you from making a back-up copy and using that so as to keep the original from being damaged.  It does vary from country to country.  That is using within the boundaries of the law.  Sure, a developer can stop me from making reasonable use of the game, such as is the case here, but I then have a choice to not purchase any of their product and as a consumer, that is what I am choosing to do. 

People who equate theft and piracy to selling a game you no longer want just stagger me with the blinkered acquiescent behaviour.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Al3xand3r

Technically, to sell things legally, don't you have to register as a business, give receipts, do tax reports with the related income, and so on and so forth depending on the particular country's laws? So, selling used games is a grey area like people have said.

Anyway, the store was at fault, they got scammed, they tried to scam you. Not all PC games are like that as you found out yourself, not all console games are free of that either as has been mentioned. Both have pros and cons and maybe finding out a bit more you'd see that even for you the positives of services like Steam outweigh the negatives, especially when it comes to making things user friendly for not very knowledgable people, since installation is a breeze, as is the updating, as is finding friends to play with, etc, etc. As long as they aren't scammed that is, then things get complicated, with good reason. And no, PC isn't what puts barriers, there's a vast PC based industry without that issue. 2 out of 3 games in your case didn't have the issue for example. It's certain companies that put barriers, as they put barriers on consoles also.

As for saying things like, what if Steam is bought, or the company shuts down, then what? Well, what if Sony's bought or shuts down, and then your console breaks down with nobody to repair it, or no longer can have firmware updates since you no longer can login, or can no longer give you the patches that solve serious issues with the games you bought, what happens to your ability to play those games then? This kind of argument is pretty ridiculous, nothing lasts forever even if you have your copy in hand with no cd key-like restrictions. I'd faster trust Valve on PC with their no-resale issue yet their great pricing and great product support and great focus on actually providing good games and user content creation, than on 360 where TF2 is half the game it's on PC, nobody plays it anymore, I have to pay to access the online mode in the first place, and the only benefit would be that I would probably (not definitely as I explained above) be able to still play the single player portion in one of the worst case scenarios (not in all of those). The online modes on consoles will shut down pretty fast if the companies go down, you know. It's peer to peer gaming, but they do require at least matchmaking servers from the companies. With those gone, the game's not playable. Nothing lasts forever.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    "

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why I don't have to register my movie dvd or music cd and how it is, I own it and can resell it, yet, for some bizarre reason, you don't own a game, even if you pay $100 for it, you are just renting it?

Er, no. Legally, you own neither the music, nor the movie, nor the game. You NEVER OWN DATA unless you create it yourself, you only buy a licence to use / watch / listen to it. This licence in very few cases encompasses the right to resell or distribute it.   The difference between movies, music and games is that the former two don't usually employ mechanisms that enforce these restrictions, whereas some PC software does, especially these days.   When you "buy a game", you buy a disc and a licence to use the software. For yourself. Some PC games and software employ mechanisms that prevent the reselling of the licence (which they are legally entitled to do!) , even though the disc can be resold. In these cases, retailers should not sell it to you, or inform you about it.  "
    I never said you own the data - you do own the game.  You can sell it if you choose and another person can buy it and play it.  I really don't understand how this point gets so lost.  They can make the rules all they like, but they CAN'T legally enforce them and they know it.  

@Cube said:
    " @oldschool:  I'm a console gamer too! Woo for lesser beings! Except I understand the concept of CD Keys. Apparently you do not. "
    I understand CD keys are to ensure that the game is legitimate, and this game is legitimate.  The key is to activate the game by ensuring its authenticity.  It doesn't need to do anything more than that as the game can only be played by the person who is in possession of the legitimate copy of the disc.  Almost every game I have played has a CD key and almost none of them required me to go online to activate it.  That is how it should be.  Mind, I do have a CD key creator that can make a key for any game, but that is another matter ( I don't use it, but it was necessary when I had some Windows issues). 

So much ridiculous points have been made in this thread and it saddens me that people just obey the man.  One day, when you have to take it online to activate your television and you don't actually own it, despite paying $1,000 for it, you will realise this folly.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "As for saying things like, what is Steam is bought, or the company shuts down, then what? Well, what if Sony's bought or shuts down, and then your console breaks down with nobody to repair it, or no longer can have firmware updates since you no longer can login, or can no longer give you the patches that solve serious issues with the games you bought, what happens to your ability to play those games then? This kind of argument is pretty ridiculous, nothing lasts forever even if you have your copy in hand with no cd key-like restrictions. "
    Not the same.  Regardless of Sony failing, you can still play the games and if it breaks down, you can find someone to repair it.  I still play my Sega consoles and they closed down.  Plus, with the physical copies, I can still sell them if I choose not to seek a functioning console.  You can't make that comparison.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Al3xand3r

Pm me your Steam username plox. I want to add you to the friends list. Your internet connection is fast, right? There are at least some free stuff on it you should try. I'll help you jump through the hoops the first time, then it's all real easy.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#112  Edited By Red12b
    @oldschool:

@Rallier said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Rallier said:
    " @oldschool: Should you not be able to go back to that second hand game store and get a refund? They did sell you a game that does not work after-all.  Oh and Civ4 is a BEAST of a game. "Slightly" modifying the NPC's relations to you is a not cheating ^^ "
    Yeah, I covered that before.  It won't be the slightest problem to get a refund.  Funny how someone preyed on their ignorance to begin with only to have me fall a new level of ignorance. 

Explain this "slightly modifying the NPC's relations with me"?  I am intrigued  ^-^ 

When you press escape during a game click on world editor (i might be a bit off with the name), it will open up the level editor and you can edit everything. I started playing on difficulty level 4 and the AI is absolutely savage there and  will rape you in groups, it hurts...   You might want to get the expansions for the game, they add a lot of structures and gameplay mechanics. "
    I don't know if this was covered but he said he bought Civ 3, and to my knowledge Civ 3 does not have worldbuilder, or am I talking bullshit?  
    Civ 4 Is Brilliant, Oldschool you should get it, And it's expansions, Just One More Turn!!! 
    And yeah, It is cheating :) Who said Cheaters never prosper :) 

@pause422 said:
    " Well if it was only 10$ and you are getting your money back, then really no harm done at all I guess. "
    Well, Yeah there is, Oldschool has missed out on a good Gaming experience, This man does not play FPS's so for him to purchase one is kinda a big deal, and for it not to work makes the step into the world of FPS redundant, BOO!
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Red12b
    @oldschool:  
    Jesus Christ, I just skimmed through this thread, turned to shit real fast eh? 

You guys have your Wii Defence force, these guys are the PC defence force of the underbellies of GB,  

Hahaha, that dude who called you a troll, haha, 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @oldschool said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @oldschool said:

" Repeat:  I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why I don't have to register my movie dvd or music cd and how it is, I own it and can resell it, yet, for some bizarre reason, you don't own a game, even if you pay $100 for it, you are just renting it? "
     The reason why you don't have to register any DVD or movie you is the same reason you don't have to register any console game you own - the licensing costs are offset into the cost of the console and online services provided - hence the certification badges slapped on boxes.  Honestly oldschool, you're sounding more and more like a troll with each post.  People who are only reasonably informed know this basic shit and yet, you somehow are confounded by simplest stuff.   Software is protected by the same copyright law as movies and all you are allowed to do is use the software within the boundaries of that law.   Go back to buying your second hand games while holding on to the pretense that you're supporting an industry you absolutely do not understand or really suppport and choose to remind blind to. "
    You really are a dick.  That first part makes no sense at all, not even a little.  Licensing costs offset by the cost of the console?  So Sony make a loss on every console sold and yet also offset the licensing costs?  Also on the online service?  How does relate to a game you don't play online with?  How does that relate to a movie?  How is that offset when you put it in a machine and press play?  Wow.  Copyright laws protect a game from being used illegally - copying and selling, public broadcast, just making a profit in general, or causing the owner to make a loss (by making it freely available to others).  It does not stop you from selling it to a friend or store.  It does not stop you from giving it away.  It does not stop you from making a back-up copy and using that so as to keep the original from being damaged.  It does vary from country to country.  That is using within the boundaries of the law.  Sure, a developer can stop me from making reasonable use of the game, such as is the case here, but I then have a choice to not purchase any of their product and as a consumer, that is what I am choosing to do.  People who equate theft and piracy to selling a game you no longer want just stagger me with the blinkered acquiescent behaviour. "
    You don't understand licensing.  I can't be bothered explaining how it works or why it's important nor its focal differences when comparing a closed system (like a properly licensed brand name DVD player or console) to an open system (like a PC built from parts) because frankly, I doubt you'll believe me let alone understand me.   If you can be bothered to learn on your own time spend some time researching MPEG (what it stands for and how it applies to licensed product - for example every properly licensed DVD playing technology from the burner in your PC to the brand name DVD player you may have at home to a brand name console that can play DVD all have to pay the MPEG for this capability as do the companies who legally produce the content using MPEG codecs on DVD media for consumption ), The Fraunhofer Institute and their MP3 CODEC, Dolby and AVC/VC-1 implementations in Windows Media.  If not, then fine, believe whatever you want to. 
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By rallier
    @Red12b: Yep you are totally right there, I mixed up 3 and 4.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#116  Edited By Meowayne

I never said you own the data - you do own the game.  You can sell it if you choose and another person can buy it and play it.  I really don't understand how this point gets so lost.  They can make the rules all they like, but they CAN'T legally enforce them and they know it. 

NO, oldschool. You do not own the game

If you buy software, all you buy is licences. ALWAYS. Period. 

Reselling licences (along with the media that contained the software) is perfectly legal. But Publishers preventing you or forbidding you from reselling your licence is ALSO LEGAL. 

You cannot legally claim your right to play The Orange Box when you bought a used copy of the media. You don't have that right, no matter how much you paid for the media and the copy of the software. The shop should have told you that, but they didn't.

The only reason movies have no "this cannot be resold" protection is because A) the playback devices are not equipped for such functionality B) it would cause an uproar. 
    If they could do it, they would. And they would be legally entitled to do it. So when you ask: Why PC games and not movies? The answer does not lie in legal issues, but solely in what the customer is used to and what they can do without getting lynched. 

They can prevent licence reselling in PC software, so some do.
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By oDawg

You guys are all wrong. The license IS transferable. 

I recommend you photocopy your box and cd key, send it to Valve, and say "MAKE IT WORK."

They will fix it.

End of story.

All you other emo idiots should chill out. You can sell a box copy of a game. Yes you can. Live with it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By Jimbo

I just wrote out a lengthy explanation and lost it (rage), so here's the shortened version:

Accept EULA (PC games / software) = Cannot re-sell right to use the software
    Never made to accept EULA (Console games / books / movies / anything) = Can re-sell (see: First-sale Doctrine)

Reason for EULA = PC software extremely easy to carry on using after you sell it.  This would instantly cut the legs out from under the the new-copy PC software market, meaning nobody would bother developing PC software. 

Sad Irony = Internet Piracy has brought about the exact situation EULAs were supposed to avoid, making them largely redundant.

Why it isn't unfair = Because you know going in that it has no second-hand value and so you can account for it in the intitial value judgement.  ie. If you knew you could never re-sell your car, you wouldn't be prepared to pay so much for it in the first place and the original price would be lower to reflect that.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By oldschool
    @Red12b said:
    " @oldschool:

@Rallier said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Rallier said:
    " @oldschool: Should you not be able to go back to that second hand game store and get a refund? They did sell you a game that does not work after-all.  Oh and Civ4 is a BEAST of a game. "Slightly" modifying the NPC's relations to you is a not cheating ^^ "
    Yeah, I covered that before.  It won't be the slightest problem to get a refund.  Funny how someone preyed on their ignorance to begin with only to have me fall a new level of ignorance. 

Explain this "slightly modifying the NPC's relations with me"?  I am intrigued  ^-^ 

When you press escape during a game click on world editor (i might be a bit off with the name), it will open up the level editor and you can edit everything. I started playing on difficulty level 4 and the AI is absolutely savage there and  will rape you in groups, it hurts...   You might want to get the expansions for the game, they add a lot of structures and gameplay mechanics. "
    I don't know if this was covered but he said he bought Civ 3, and to my knowledge Civ 3 does not have worldbuilder, or am I talking bullshit?  
    Civ 4 Is Brilliant, Oldschool you should get it, And it's expansions, Just One More Turn!!! 
    And yeah, It is cheating :) Who said Cheaters never prosper :)  "
     @Rallier said:
    " @Red12b: Yep you are totally right there, I mixed up 3 and 4. "
    I thought you mixed 3 and 4, but meant 3.  That would have been a waste of my time  ^-^ 
    I have Civilisation IV Complete, so I can cheat, or not cheat, depending where you stand - or sit  :/ 
    Civ IV is a time eater.  It isn't so much "one more turn" it is more I more century and before you know it, you are developing the nuclear bomb and you can't leave until you kill all your enemies.  World domination is very addictive.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By MrKlorox

This is entirely your fault for buying used games (which is as bad as piracy) instead of Steam sales.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    "

NO, oldschool. You do not own the game

If you buy software, all you buy is licences. ALWAYS. Period. 

Reselling licences (along with the media that contained the software) is perfectly legal. But Publishers preventing you or forbidding you from reselling your licence is ALSO LEGAL. 

You cannot legally claim your right to play The Orange Box when you bought a used copy of the media. You don't have that right, no matter how much you paid for the media and the copy of the software. The shop should have told you that, but they didn't.  The only reason movies have no "this cannot be resold" protection is because A) the playback devices are not equipped for such functionality B) it would cause an uproar.  If they could do it, they would. And they would be legally entitled to do it. So when you ask: Why PC games and not movies? The answer does not lie in legal issues, but solely in what the customer is used to and what they can do without getting lynched.   They can prevent licence reselling in PC software, so some do. "
    I have pretty much said all this Meo, as in that they can legally try to stop you.  However, my point all along is that they legally can't stop you bypassing it either.  They try to scare people into compliance with big words and threats, but they can't legally enforce it.  If they could, they would have and in fact, to my knowledge, they have tried a couple of times (Japan is one I think) and lost the court case to stop the sale of used games.  Just as they lost a case when they tried to enforce the no copy rule (Sony in particular) in Australia, when the court declared that it was legal to make a copy for personal use as long as you had the game. 

That is why I am talking about consumer friendly practises and PC don't have them.  I am not attacking PC as I enjoy it, but it revolves back to my point, that the way they do business leaves me limiting my use.  When a company tries to control my behaviour, which is exactly what they are doing, then I say no and will either not use their product or I will legally bypass any and all of the restrictions they put on me.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#122  Edited By Turtlemayor333

This thread went to hell with unbelievable swiftness. The PC players here have entirely missed the point.  I can't believe people are still repeating the same lines about it being the store's fault or the OP's fault. The principle goes beyond his anecdote of The Orange Box. It isn't about his ignorance of DRM works either. The point he is making is that PC gaming screws customers, and that it isn't right. Everyone grasping at straws to make him look like a fool, again, is missing the point.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Turtlemayor333 said:

" This thread went to hell with unbelievable swiftness. The PC players here have entirely missed the point.  I can't believe people are still repeating the same lines about it being the store's fault or the OP's fault. The principle goes beyond his anecdote of The Orange Box. It isn't about his ignorance of DRM works either. The point he is making is that PC gaming screws customers, and that it isn't right. Everyone grasping at straws to make him look like a fool, again, is missing the point. "

You're the one grasping at straws, not responding to any particular argument but just sprouting crap. PC gaming as a whole doesn't employ this system, so PC gaming doesn't screw customers, and many console games employ this system, but you don't generalise in the same way to say console gaming screws customers. Get over yourself, get some real arguments, and argue specific points, not your generalisations. 2 out of 3 games he got worked fine, how is PC gaming screwing customers? You think it's hard to find console games that screw you over? Hmm, let's see, did you buy Madden 09? No? Well I hear it's pretty popular anyway. Guess what, you can't play it online anymore, because EA wants to force you to purchase their new games. Good luck reselling it. Plenty of other games work like that. And there are plenty of ways PC gaming adds value that makes up for the inability to resell. Ie, as mentioned tons of times already, you get games cheaper at launch as a rule, and prices drop swiftly, while The Orange Box in particular has a fuckton of new content both created from users and Valve that is not seen in the console versions.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By Turtlemayor333
    @Al3xand3r said:

" @Turtlemayor333 said:

" This thread went to hell with unbelievable swiftness. The PC players here have entirely missed the point.  I can't believe people are still repeating the same lines about it being the store's fault or the OP's fault. The principle goes beyond his anecdote of The Orange Box. It isn't about his ignorance of DRM works either. The point he is making is that PC gaming screws customers, and that it isn't right. Everyone grasping at straws to make him look like a fool, again, is missing the point. "

You're the one grasping at straws, not responding to any particular argument but just sprouting crap. PC gaming as a whole doesn't employ this system, so PC gaming doesn't screw customers, and many console games employ this system, but you don't generalise in the same way to say console gaming screws customers. Get over yourself, get some real arguments, and argue specific points, not your generalisations. 2 out of 3 games he got worked fine, how is PC gaming screwing customers? You think it's hard to find console games that screw you over? Hmm, let's see, did you buy Madden 09? No? Well I hear it's pretty popular anyway. Guess what, you can't play it online anymore, because EA wants to force you to purchase their new games. Good luck reselling it. Plenty of other games work like that. And there are plenty of ways PC gaming adds value that makes up for the inability to resell. Ie, as mentioned tons of times already, you get games cheaper at launch as a rule, and prices drop swiftly, while The Orange Box in particular has a fuckton of new content both created from users and Valve that is not seen in the console versions. "
    First off, take it down a notch. If you read my post I'm not even attempting to argue for either side, but addressing the trollish replies such as...

This is entirely your fault for buying used games (which is as bad as piracy) instead of Steam sales.

I made the post to clarify the point the OP is making, being principle. If the word "principle" makes you show your teeth (get over yourself, get some real arguments, not your generalizations, etc) then I sincerely apologize. And I never said consoles don't get screwed over either.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Al3xand3r

If those were the posts you wanted to address then that is what you should have said as opposed to making generalisations like "pc gaming screws customers" and "pc gamers missed the point" based on an isolated event (which is the store's fault) you now call a principle.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By VWGTI
    @Turtlemayor333: 

Don't bother with that guy. Trust me.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @VWGTI said:
    " @Turtlemayor333:   Don't bother with that guy. Trust me. "
    Sure, you're a trustworthy duder, lol. How many of your posts got deleted by mods already? Nice to see you're subtler now, it must be hard for you.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By VWGTI
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @VWGTI said:
    Sure, you're a trustworthy duder, lol. How many of your posts got deleted by mods already? Nice to see you're subtler now, it must be hard for you. "
    Thanks for proving my point. :)
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @VWGTI said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

" @VWGTI said:
    Sure, you're a trustworthy duder, lol. How many of your posts got deleted by mods already? Nice to see you're subtler now, it must be hard for you. "
    Thanks for proving my point. :) "
    Thanks for not following your own advice. Lol.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @VWGTI said:
    Hey, dudes that live on the internet need some attention too. 
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#131  Edited By sjschmidt93

I hate to say it but, that's not PC gamings fault, it's yours.  

Used PC games = nightmare. 

@Meowayne said:

" Why would you want to buy the Orange Box on PC if you have a perfectly functional Xbox360? "
    Because the controls are better and you can actually find a decent game of TF2?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @VWGTI said:

Hey, dudes that live on the internet need some attention too.  "
    I see why you need to jump in such discussions that don't involve you then, thanks for the clarification.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#133  Edited By Crono
    @oldschool said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @oldschool: Umm That's how Steam products work, licenses are non-transferable and the store who sold it you should've known that.  The store's mishandling of the sale is hardly a fair reason for you shit on PC gaming and Steam with the same breath.  Sorry but the fault purely lies with the store who sold you the game. "
    The store just trades in 2nd hand goods (not just games) and they wouldn't know.  I knew Steam worked that way for download games, but how would I know that for a retail game without some prior experience?  I didn't shit on PC gaming, I just pointed out why some of the practices used in the industry are not consumer friendly.  As for shitting on Steam, well, for me they are dead.  If you enjoy their product (and a lot do) then fine.  I however will never use their service. 

Well which industry are you talking about?  If you were referring to the industry of acquiring and trading 2nd hand goods, then I totally agree.  (Disclaimer: Yes, I know you were talking about PC Gaming) Because that is the problem here, their lack of knowledge on what they're selling coupled with your lack of knowledge of how the product you purchased works has resulted in this problem - not the platform (Steam) itself.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Al3xand3r: 
     >_>

.....This never happened.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Al3xand3r

...Kay, I'll save your rep. You owe me!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By RsistncE
    @oldschool: I'm sorry but this is completely your fault. First of all everyone knows used PC games are a bad idea to buy due to CD keys. I wouldn't touch a used PC game that is any newer than almost 10 years. Second of all Steam offers the best deals for PC games on the planet, BY FAR. The Orange Box can be had for at only $20 at times and, hell, they were even selling TF2 at one point for a dollar or so. Fact is that Steam presents a much better form of digital game distribution that any other one so far, both price wise (where it tends to have prices FAR below retail) and distribution wise. Either you're with Steam or you're against digital game distribution as a whole.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#137  Edited By Rowr
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @oldschool: Umm That's how Steam products work, licenses are non-transferable and the store who sold it you should've known that.  The store's mishandling of the sale is hardly a fair reason for you shit on PC gaming and Steam with the same breath.  Sorry but the fault purely lies with the store who sold you the game. "
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jimbo

So out of curiosty, what is the point exactly?  That the PC industry would be in better shape if they dropped EULAs, removed all of their mechanisms for enforcing the EULAs and freely allowed second-hand sales?  If so, I respectfully disagree.  I think it would have the opposite effect (and evidently, so do the publishers). 

They don't care one bit about making second-hand purchasers happy - why would they?  And if you won't buy new PC games, because of a problem which you know is exclusive to second-hand PC games, that is a pretty irrational -and presumably rare- personality trait which any business is unlikely to worry too much about.

With regards the alleged stagnation of PC gaming, this whole EULA / DRM / Second Hand Sales issue is barely even a footnote compared to both the ease of internet piracy and the fact that you can buy a 360 for a fraction of the price of a good PC.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#139  Edited By sopranosfan

I don't do much PC gaming for this reason.  I am not trying to convert anyone to my belief only supporting the OP that it is a problem that I personally don't want to deal with.  First off I know that ownership of a game on any platform is unfortunately a shady area at best.  However with console games I can trade, borrow, loan, sell, buy used, or whatever I want to with it as long as I don't sell a copy I made.  With PC games unless I memorize every game that I can buy used.  Or see it for sale..then come home and research whether I can play and then go back and buy it I have no way of knowing.  I have never had that problem with console games.  Now first of all I don't buy many used games I have well over a 100 and with the exception of games from older systems I have probably only bought 2 or 3 used games over the last year compared with 6 new ones that I got from Christmas alone not to mention the ones throughout the year.  I also almost never sell my game for any reasons as I consider them a collection like my movies.  But it is nice to let people borrow a game, or rent a game, or god forbid in a bad financial situation I am pretty sure I could put food on the table for a couple of weeks by selling my games on Ebay.  I or my wife paid a lot of money for the games and the idea of owning the game shouldn't be such a foreign idea to people and I am actually shocked to see how many people support such a practice with such passion.  Now don't get me wrong I have some DLC on my 360 and I even have a couple of games from GOG that I got on the cheap but I just can't bring myself to spend $40-$60 on something I don't truly own.  I am scared that this is eventually where console gaming is heading and that scares me because in that case I will more than likely only have 1 console and only buy "must have" games.  Whether people like to admit it or not there are others out there that have the same mentallity as me.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#140  Edited By Getz

Your reaction is hardly as milquetoast as you make it out to be, you very clearly said "  That is it.  No Steam for me, under any circumstances. " because of this one instance of inconvenience. You got your money back, you now know not to buy used Valve games, why the sudden boycott? That's what I was trying to point out; that your reaction is out of proportion to the problem.

Avatar image for ananonymoushobo
    AnAnonymousHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By AnAnonymousHobo

I agree that boxed PC games in general are rather user-unfriendly, at least in contrast to console games. I mean, PC games are at a glance far more intimidating to operate than just throwing a disk in your console. System requirements, which are obviously something that PC gaming is unlikely to to get rid of any time soon, can very easily alienate those who are not very tech-savvy. The metric shit-tonnes of anti-piracy methods that exist can also be a major turn-off for most folks, and understandably so (Fuck the weird video-card names. Seriously, fuck them.), but they're kind of necessary for producing a commercially successful product in today's market. PC games would be ridiculously easy to pirate without the systems that are currently employed, and not being able to resell my PC games is a small price to pay for their continued manufacture.

Steam, on the other hand, is about as user-friendly as services come. You buy a game, you install it and you play it. All this without so much as having to place a foot outside, and some of the offers on there are just silly. If you haven't installed the Steam client by now I really recommend it. It is completely free, non-invasive and even makes for a decent free communication platform if you have a few friends who also use the service.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Dark_Jon

Doesn't steam support have a policy so if a cd key is invalid, you can send them a picture of it and they will fix the problem?

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Adamantium

Wow that really sucks. I haven't bought a PC game second hand for a while now but I might have made the same mistake. On a related note: I was reading my instruction manuals for some of my games and got to the fine print, turns out not only do you not "own" the game (only a license to play said game on your hardware), it's also actually illegal to transfer that license to anybody else for money. In essence, that means it's illegal to sell your used copy of a PS3/360 game to a store. Totally ridiculous. I hope they never choose to crack down on that like Steam has....

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Dark_Jon said:
    " Doesn't steam support have a policy so if a cd key is invalid, you can send them a picture of it and they will fix the problem? "
    That only works with the proof of the first sale.  He would need to prove that he purchased The Orange Box from a tier 1 retailer who had the purchased the original from VALVe.  As it's a second hand good it has no value as the game's license is tied with the Steam Account Owner who registered it online and due to the fact that all VALVe games need to be registered online to be unlocked there's no way it couldn't have been registered.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@RsistncE said:
    " @oldschool: I'm sorry but this is completely your fault. First of all everyone knows used PC games are a bad idea to buy due to CD keys. I wouldn't touch a used PC game that is any newer than almost 10 years. Second of all Steam offers the best deals for PC games on the planet, BY FAR. The Orange Box can be had for at only $20 at times and, hell, they were even selling TF2 at one point for a dollar or so. Fact is that Steam presents a much better form of digital game distribution that any other one so far, both price wise (where it tends to have prices FAR below retail) and distribution wise. Either you're with Steam or you're against digital game distribution as a whole. "

IMO? Bullshit. Steam supports achievements and has friends lists. People are willing to pass on their rights to their games for these services, apparently. GamersGate and Good old Games are both superior when it comes to the actual distribution, and both can offer some pretty good deals (though for GamersGate, not on the scale of Steam).
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#146  Edited By Coombs

I had the exact same thing with a copy of Spore I bought recently

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By RsistncE
    @Bellum: That's fine if you don't like it but the vast majority of people do and have never had a problem with it. This isn't Xbox Live after all :D
    IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By IcySandman
    @oldschool: Just saying to help with Steam, they do have pretty nice sales every once in a while to get games at cheap prices..
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By oldschool

Just so we are all clear, I got my refund today and I gave the owner a little education that I have received myself.  I am glad this happened as I took a look closely at a couple of games I have been thinking about and one is now definitely off my purchase list, Total War Empires, as that is tied to Steam.  I am sure it is a good game and I would enjoy it, but their are plenty of good RTS that I can enjoy. 

@IcySandman said:

" @oldschool: Just saying to help with Steam, they do have pretty nice sales every once in a while to get games at cheap prices.. "
    Well, I do have an account now and I will say this, I am not absolute about no download games, but I am against large (file size - they should be retail discs) and "expensive" games for download - by "expensive", I mean more than $10.  So in effect, if I see a game that is under $10, is an RTS and does appeal, I am not against the possibility. 

@Adamantium said:
    " Wow that really sucks. I haven't bought a PC game second hand for a while now but I might have made the same mistake. On a related note: I was reading my instruction manuals for some of my games and got to the fine print, turns out not only do you not "own" the game (only a license to play said game on your hardware), it's also actually illegal to transfer that license to anybody else for money. In essence, that means it's illegal to sell your used copy of a PS3/360 game to a store. Totally ridiculous. I hope they never choose to crack down on that like Steam has.... "
    The important to remember is that the agreement IS NOT legally enforceable.  If you across your games, some will not have any information that tells you you can't sell the game to those that have a whole list of things you can and can't do, not including selling the game.  Sins of a Solar Empire in fact has a whole big list of stuff and it says you can make a copy for archival purposes.  So it does vary with how much an arsehole the game developer/distributor is.   

Back to the enforceability though.  People do sell used PC games and a little research (which I should have done) will let you know what is useable and what is not.  Essentially, any online activation is a problem and I won't be buying any games that require it.  But, as for the legal aspects, they are not going to take anyone to court over this as they know that in most countries (and they will have to do it country by country) they will lose a court case.  They don't want to test their powers as once they lose, they open pandora's box and create massive problems for themselves.  They would rather just live with bluff as most people like to obey the rules. 

@Getz said:
    " Your reaction is hardly as milquetoast as you make it out to be, you very clearly said "  That is it.  No Steam for me, under any circumstances. " because of this one instance of inconvenience. You got your money back, you now know not to buy used Valve games, why the sudden boycott? That's what I was trying to point out; that your reaction is out of proportion to the problem. "
    No it isn't.  As a matter of principle and as a consumer with choice, I don't like Steams practises and I won't support them, or anyone else who does the same thing (except as I pointed out above about the very cheap games).  If you have no standards then that is your issue. 

I am likely to end my participation in my own thread here, by saying that PC users are the worst forum members I have ever encountered.  I trust that not every PC user is not as up themselves as those I have encountered.  I would like to think so.  The ones I know in real life are a lot better and far more open minded and reasonable.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @oldschool said:
    I don't like Steams practises and I won't support them, or anyone else who does the same thing (except as I pointed out above about the very cheap games).  If you have no standards then that is your issue.  I am likely to end my participation in my own thread here, by saying that PC users are the worst forum members I have ever encountered.  I trust that not every PC user is not as up themselves as those I have encountered.  I would like to think so.  The ones I know in real life are a lot better and far more open minded and reasonable. "
    Your reactionary thread title, the comments which followed and attacks on other people's 'standards' are just so open minded and reasonable.  Yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.