Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Transferring steam game data from old computer to new.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sumbog

So I just bought a new computer and I was wondering if there was any way I could transfer my game files from my old computer to my new one, because I really don't want to have to download all my games off steam again (which would take hours upon hours), and then have to re-download all my mods for those games again- the save files don't really matter to me, just the games themselves. So far I've downloaded all my steam data onto an external hard drive, and I was wondering if this is all in vain, do I just have to redownload all my games from steam.

admachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By admachina

back up steamapps folder

when you reinstall steam if you copy in the steamapps folder it will know what to do with it when you launch steam for the first time with it

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sumbog

Thanks for anyone giving assistance, but I totally figured it out (mostly by accident, less skill).

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

I had to do this this past week(built new pc), although i had to redownload some data for some games because it wouldn't validate some files after i tossed them back into the steamapps/common folder but otherwise most of them worked with no problems.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GJSmitty

Earlier this summer I built a new PC and had to do this.  I recall backing them up, but only expecting the save data to come over.  I was happily surprised to see most games didn't need to be re downloaded.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.