Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What do you think about the Dx11 announcement?

• 53 results
    staxontoplyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By staxontoplyon

Dude your definition of hardcore gamer sounds more like hardcore disposable income, for me its about the games, don't get me wrong I love hardware too, built my own PC 1 1/2  years ago with some very well thought out cheap parts, only cost me about 500 bucks and it still plays the latest releases.  (19" CRT for 25 bucks, sony guts!)  I choose parts you would probably scoff at but they were the best bang for the buck, I think its foolish to run out and buy the latest and greatest when the company will release something better and 1/2 the price 9 months later, compare buying a 8800gtx for 600 bucks instead of being patient and waiting for a 8800GT for 250 thats nearly as good.  If you bought the GTX right off the bat you waited a long ass time anyway for a game to come out that used it (Crysis), and then you find out that us lowly DX9 owners can turn on all of the same effects with a simple cfg file, hell I ran it on Win2k!  Then you find out a couple months later that you could have basically the same performance from a card costing less than half what you paid.  If it were me I'd feel ripped off and a bit foolish.
         As for this DX11 thing, what really has DX10 done yet thats so mind blowing?  They had to artificially lock out the 'very high' settings in Crysis for DX9 so it looked like a big difference, believe me Win2k can do god rays too, and in other games theres little or no difference except a big performance hit.  Wheres the big performance increase from DX10 that was promised?  Crysis had a better framerate in XP while doing these fancy DX10 effects it was supposedly not good enough for, because it doesnt hog your CPU and RAM as much, but that should have been offset by the amazing efficincy of the DX10 code according to Microsoft's hyperbolic documents.  Maybe DX10 will be far superior when devs really build games from the ground up for it, by that time I can pick up a DX12 part for cheap at the rate things are going.  This thread is a good overview of DX10's failures if you are so inclined...

http://schestowitz.com/UseNet/2007/December_2007_3/msg00669.html

some choice quotes...
    "We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the games look or perform."  -CNET

"Having tested the DX10 rendering path against the DX9 version, the chaps at the fantastically named Elite Bastards say that they can't 
    "Help but feel a little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10 functionality has done nothing for the
    title either graphically or from a performance standpoint". -the inquirer

I laugh at you people worrying about DX11 outdating your stuff, wait till DX10 does it first would ya? 

Edit: Oh and Rage, a game with sh*t your pants graphics from a little company called Id software, is going to be DX9, you aren't calling John Carmack a ludite are ya?

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By OGCartman
    albaker said:
    "TOO EARLY!

I mean DX10.1 has just been released and is it one game that uses it? Why not just keep improving DX10 like they did on DX9? Or why not make DX10 a little more reliable and not too dependent on high end hardware.

As long as it runs SMOOTHLY on our DX10 cards I'm fine with it.
    "
    True
    sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By sculsoldi3r

i for one can wait til directx 69 ;)

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By SpecTackle

I think it's hilarious. It's clear that DX10 has been fully tapped into.. I can count numerous games in my library that utilize it to it's full potential.

Ok I can't, because they don't exist. DX10 should hardly even be considered a separate API from DX9, but I spose Microsoft needs something to drive software sales. DX14 launching with Windows 7 is my bet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.