Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What kind of Computer?

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrexABull

I was thinking of buying a new computer and was also thinking of getting these two what do you guys think?

also if you know of a better computer then feel free to comment it here

CyberpowerPC AMD FX-Series 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD Capacity Desktop PC Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Gamer Ultra 2161

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229406

Avatar AMD FX-Series 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Desktop PC Windows 8 64-Bit Gaming FX6164

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258020

EDIT: I am also looking for a lower priced computer. the only reason I picked the Cyber was because it looked alot better then the others and it has windows 7

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

Do not buy your computer pre-built. That is the worst thing you can do. I have not heard anything about Avatar brand computers, but I have definately heard horrible things about CyberpowerPC's. Almost all pre-built computers (including Alienware), bulk buy the parts for as little money as possible. Because of this practice you usually end up with sub-par components, because they are cheap. Why settle for sub-par parts, when you can get a computer with great parts for the same price. The only downside to building a computer is that you have to spend an hour to assemble it yourself. This used to be somewhat complicated, but nowadays it is as simple as inserting the blue plug into the blue socket (and the plug can only fit in one way).

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By chiablo

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229480

Don't buy either of the ones you posted they are both terrible for different reasons.

You should really build your own thought, you'll save around 300 if you built this one yourself.

I second this. We're no longer in an age where you have to worry about master/slave configuration on IDE drives and the mind boggling complexities of ram timings. Go onto the Build A PC section of Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc) and find someone's http://pcpartpicker.com/ build that fits your budget.

Get the parts, assemble it yourself (or with a PC savvy buddy if you're intimidated). You'll have money in your pocket and a huge amount of pride in what you've made.

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TrexABull

Thank you people of the forums I first thou about building one but I do not have the knowledge to do so :( also if I look up how i pretty sure i would be able to do it

if any one knows a good set up PLEASE tell

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TrexABull

ok so for a hard drive I am stumped I want a good 1TB Hard drive?

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Troispoint

Thank you people of the forums I first thou about building one but I do not have the knowledge to do so :( also if I look up how i pretty sure i would be able to do it

if any one knows a good set up PLEASE tell

I built my first PC in July this year, and had no idea how to do it prior purchasing the parts. It's intimidating at first, but I say it's worth it. But if you really don't want to do it yourself, there might be a local place around willing to put the parts together you've bought for a small fee. Either way, avoid buying those ready made PCs which are really bad values most of the time.

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TrexABull

@troispoint: @chiablo: @monetarydread: I just finished my PCPartPicker and this is what i got (Like i said before i have no clue what i am doing XD)

PLEASE tell me if i missed any thing

EDIT: I just remeberd i want some USB ports and Audio and Mic 3.5mm jack if you guys could help me with this then that would be great

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1sQZj

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1sQZj/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1sQZj/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.29 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Intel BOXDZ87KLT75K ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($284.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.37 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($263.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Wired Network Adapter: Asus NX1101 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($12.99 @ NCIX US)

Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N600UBE 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.24 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($2.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Rosewill 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GEN DVD/CD Drive ($23.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1176.67

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-16 23:14 EDT-0400)

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@trexabull: your first link, for 1200 is much the better machine.....

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrexABull
    Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Troispoint

@trexabull said:

@troispoint: @chiablo: @monetarydread: I just finished my PCPartPicker and this is what i got (Like i said before i have no clue what i am doing XD)

EDIT: I just remeberd i want some USB ports and Audio and Mic 3.5mm jack if you guys could help me with this then that would be great

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.37 @ Amazon)

Wired Network Adapter: Asus NX1101 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($12.99 @ NCIX US)

Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N600UBE 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.24 @ Amazon)

I would definitely go for a cheaper motherboard. Since you're not going to overclock your CPU (judging from your non-K version of the 4670). You can buy a good one for about 150$ that would still let you go SLI with the 760 later down road. And I would use those savings for a SSD. I'd buy a better power supply too.

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a build I made for you:

PCPartPicker part list:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1t8sP

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.48 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1157.35

From this point you have a few options. You can lower the price ~$150 if you go with a GTX 760 instead. The 760 is a good performing card, but the 770 is guaranteed to run everything at max, 1080p at above 30fps (with most games running +50fps). The GTX 760 on the other hand might struggle with the more graphic intensive games at the same settings (but would perform well by dropping down some of the graphical effects). If you plan on lowering the GPU, I recommend that you stay with either EVGA, MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte.

You can also spend more money and get an SSD. If you drop the GPU down to a GTX 760 you can get a 128GB SSD and still save some money or get a 250GB and keep the budget as is. Samsung and Crucial make good quality SSDs.

Tell me if you need any more advice.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, here is Tested's video on building a PC. Ignore the specific components he's using (they're old hardware at this point), but the way he builds his PC is still relevant. I had this video playing besides me when I did my first build and it went off without a hitch:

Loading Video...

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski: Thank YOU :D I just have to sell my current PC now XD

Rayderzet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is really cheap and it's a good pc..

TrexABull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayderzet: You don't have to lie I know that it is really bad

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By VACkillers

@trexabull said:

@vackillers: yes but I heard that Cyberpower is Sh**

I been have been using cyberpower machines for 10 years either for me, or my friends, dont know who told you they were sh!t, but their not, one of the best pre-builder companies out there by far. I ran into just one issue in 10 years, and that was almost right when they started anyway where I had a bad CPU, but they sent a tech guy round and replaced it within a week n' that was 10 yrs ago on my first machine with them. Their cases are pretty much the best on the market just go to the sit and look at them! Think perhaps there is only 3 other websites out there that out-do their cases Falcon Northwest / Alienware cant think of many others. You choose the parts you want, so if you get crappy parts, then thats the builders fault to be honest, same with any PC. As usual, its always a lot cheaper to build it yourself but for pre-built machines, they are good for what you pay, not over-the-top pricing like Alienware or Falcon-NW machines where you get the same parts and pay over a grand more for it.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I got an Avatar from Newegg a few months back. Its the i7 with the 2TB drive+SSD. So far I really like it, boot time is about 10 seconds, maybe,haven't timed it, and its running everything at max settings with no issue( so far I've tried BF3, WoW, GW2, Batman AC). I got it on sale and to build one myself would've saved me about $70 at the time. It was worth it for me since I didn't want to deal with building it myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.