Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Where to learn about current PC technology?

FluxCapacitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FluxCapacitor

I'm currently looking to build a new system, but have no idea about any graphics cards, system specs or whatnot. Seriously, the last time I knew anything about building a PC the new big thing was the Radeon 9800. Yeahhhhhh.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good sites (or give me some tips) that would help me get back into the PC building scene. The only new knowledge I've learned about building a PC in the past 6 years came from that one Endurance Run, where Jeff was talking about getting a new graphics card. And that's not much. So if anyone could guide me in the direction of where I can get hip to what's new in the world of PC building (dawg), you would be awesome.

Also, in case anyone wonders, here's specifically what I'm wondering about (everything else seems fine):
    ----------
    Graphics Card - Currently have an Nvidia Gefore 7900 GS. Looking to upgrade to something more current but for less than $200
    Power Supply- I have no idea, no idea at all.
    Memory- I currently have 4 gigs. Is that enough?
    ------------
    But still, what's most important is learning about what good new technology is. I'm looking to expand my knowledge beyond just what my computer needs.

Thanks.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

4 Gigs? You should bee fine unless it is incredibly slow. As for Graphics card, I recommend a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT and you power supply should be 500+ Watts.

I also recommend shopping at http://www.newegg.com/ for your computer needs.

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mattzz10

Look at some PC forums, these questions are asked a ton, and the people should be very kind to point you in the right direction, also, browse newegg.com, there may be other sites, but that one has everything you should need, and they may even have a forum for exactly your question.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny

I recommend Tom's Hardware charts for quick reference, then maybe find some more in-depth reviews on reputable PC sites for final decisions.

Newegg's user reviews are nice to gauge quality of a product.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By warxsnake

[H]forum
    guru3d forum
    overclockers forum

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By subject2change

Asking for suggestions on boards is a good start as well. Tom's Hardware is my general source though.

Video Cards;
    GTX260 Core216, GTX275, GTX280 would be your NVIDIA based cards in that range. I'd go with the GTX80 personally it runs about 220 or so.
    4850, 4870, 4890 are the ATI cards. Obviously the higher number the better the card, figure which you can afford and go with that if you are an ATI fan pretty much they are on the same level as each other (GTX260 Core216 and 4850, etc).

PSU; Corsair is the brand I recommend, never go cheap and wattage isn't everything however a name brand PSU like Corsair you will get sufficent power on the 12v; minimum i'd say is 600w, I like to with extra power so i'd say the 750w model.

RAM; 4gigs is the minimum I recommend for a gaming machine, I run 8 gigs personally but its cause I stream to my PS3 while I game and junk so I need it.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jack_daniels

Just go to newegg... as a general rule more expensive things are better.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

i learned a lot of stuff from actually reading on newegg.com and forums like these where people are asking about what hardware to get. i took a computer class but didn't learn a lot because my teacher didn't know anything about computers.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pazy

Its great to look on all these websites but the best referance I find is someone who already knows about it. Do you have any friends who know stuff about it? Going it alone is hard since most of this information is of 2 types. The first is marketing and is almost worthless and the other side is for those who already know. Its possible but if you had a friend to help then its much easier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.