Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why arn't games as good anymore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

Sure there are a few great games I like but they don't hold my interest and I remember before 2005 there were games that actually held my interest for a long time. Now I'm just bored of playing the same old thing and sick of these constant buggy ports that keep coming onto the PC, I swear it's like the 360 ruined gaming or something. I hate all this talk of Casual Gaming that has cropped up ever since the 360 and all of a sudden everyone wants a bit. I don't want games to go backwards and become dumb, thats fine for some people but that doesn't push innovation forward. For example I played on my friends Wii (that sounds so wrong I know) and there wasn't ONE good game on that system because while Super Mario Galaxy is a good game, Nintendo have just been doin that same Mario game for years. The rest of the titles seemed like the PS2 bargin bin games that nooned cared for but now all of a sudden cause it has Motion it is meant to be amazing. The motion is just a gimmick anyways and it isn't intuitive because it doens't pick up on alot of movements like you expect.

Like mmorpgs for example we used to have such innovation every year..

UO
    Everquest
    Dark age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Eve Online
    Planetside
    Everquest 2
    World of Warcraft

Now what do we have? Just a list of poor free mmorpgs that have come out, Korean Grind fests that all look the same and a bunch of WoW clones like WoWHammer that noone likes. It has been this way since 2005 and nothing good has come out for the genre at all. I don't get why developers think we all want to play a WoW clone........ No. WoW was good because it was made by Blizzard and you can't emulate that so you have to make something different again. All the WoW people are becoming bored of the game and why would they want to jump into a game that plays esactly the same when WoW already did ait and did it better?

I have alot of friends who asked me for a harder mmorpg because WoW is too easy, so challenge is a good thing. I'm sick of having my hand held all the time and sick of everyone being able to do everything because this isn't a single player game, people want to feel unique and be better than other people.

Why hasn't there been any mmofps like Planetside since that offered giant battles? Planetside came before mmorpgs were popular and before most people would pay a monthly fee. However now if you told people with a new graphics engine that they could have FPS battles online with 5000 people on the server then they'd jump at the chance.

Whya re we moving away from being able to change the world and have meaning? Why are we moving away from customization and death penaltys? These are things that are fun and SWG proved that everyone loves player cities and player housing where you could have your own space. We don't want it to be instanced because then it has no meaning in the world but when it's in a seamless envrionment then suddenly it is personal.

Most genres are going backwards like this and I'm note sure if it is down to this casual crowd or what. I'm just sick of the way games are going and if anything as developers have left the PC and gone to the console. All we'll see is more bad ports and more dumbed down gameplay because it doesn't attract the console crowd and they don't have a mouse and keyboard to have complex UI's.

The future looks even dimmer for the mmorpg genre where really the only thing on people's Radars is ToR which will be kid friendly and fast paced with nothing complex because thats what Lucas Arts wanted with SWG and the NGE and they took out all the good features.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

Locking this duplicate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.