Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Online 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 04, 2012

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a Japanese free-to-play online action-RPG which was released for PC in July 2012, and Vita in Feb 2013. The game was finally announced for a US release during E3 2019, for Xbox One and PC in 2020.

Who has been noled?

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cubical

Who has been noled in pso2?

I miss noling It added an extra sense of dannger to pso knowing that you could be noled at any moment

those hackers need to bring it back seriously.

No Caption Provided
    Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Patman99

That magic card is fake. I do not appreciate fake magic cards.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

I looked into what "Noling" was after seeing a comment on the TNT video. That sounds like the worst thing ever. I was on Game Cube so I am pretty sure it wasn't possible but I was playing entirely offline anyway.

To be Noled is to have a hacker write over your character data with that of a lvl 5 NPC and it removes absolutely everything from your character. They do it just by being in your party as far as I know. Also I heard there is no going back, you just have to start over. It seems as though you could rip out your VMU if you saw a certain black flash or something and you would protect your data though.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cubical

I asked Jeff and ryan if he ever been noled during the TNT in the lobby and in chat room they did not say.

Noling people was easy and so was crashing lobbys and making copies of items did it all the time.

I also found it to be the best thing ever when people kept playing the game as nol after they had been noled and there would be level 50 nols.

Oh man they should bring back noling as soon as possible.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Cubical said:

Oh man they should bring back noling as soon as possible.

No. No no no.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrikeALight

I got Nol'd (back in 2001) on my lvl 140-somethinng Hunny. It was not fun. I remember not being completely put-off by this, (although a little upset..lol) but I sure as hell remembered to password-protected my game from there on out.

This was still back during the Ver.2 Dreamcast days, where hackers and 'script kiddies' ran absolutely rampant.

Here's a list of things that I remember from those early days -

- Unlimited dupe bug (this would totally fuck up PSO2's economy if this found its way back)

- Cheaters could use grants to kill other players (back in the original game, you dropped your equipped weapon and gold, upon death)

- Telepiping in the lobbies to make entire blocks crash

- The obvious stuff like speed hacks, invincibility, map hacks (all because your character data was stored on your console, instead using server side technology)

- And of course, the dreaded NOL (Turning your character into an impotent lvl 5 NPC)

PSU on the pc was also apparently pretty dreadful, but I didn't last long in that game. I enjoyed what I tried of the PSO2 beta, but I'm not fully convinced gameguard is up to the job. Also, BROOMOP is apparently back in town (infamous PSO hacker from way back when).

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@StrikeALight said:

I enjoyed what I tried of the PSO2 beta, but I'm not fully convinced gameguard is up to the job. Also, BROOMOP is apparently back in town (infamous PSO hacker from way back when).

My exact same sentiments. Knowing Sega and the situation it's in, I really doubt it has the infrastructure and/or experience to efficiently stamp-out and prevent hacking. I just don't think they have the online experience of a... say... Blizzard or SOE, and even THAT'S not bulletproof.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By xymox

Nolan North confirmed for US release?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jadeskye

I got Nol'd back on the dreamcast before i knew what it was. Lost hundreds of hours. bastards.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maginnovision

@StrikeALight said:

I got Nol'd (back in 2001) on my lvl 140-somethinng Hunny. It was not fun. I remember not being completely put-off by this, (although a little upset..lol) but I sure as hell remembered to password-protected my game from there on out.

This was still back during the Ver.2 Dreamcast days, where hackers and 'script kiddies' ran absolutely rampant.

Here's a list of things that I remember from those early days -

- Unlimited dupe bug (this would totally fuck up PSO2's economy if this found its way back)

- Cheaters could use grants to kill other players (back in the original game, you dropped your equipped weapon and gold, upon death)

- Telepiping in the lobbies to make entire blocks crash

- The obvious stuff like speed hacks, invincibility, map hacks (all because your character data was stored on your console, instead using server side technology)

- And of course, the dreaded NOL (Turning your character into an impotent lvl 5 NPC)

PSU on the pc was also apparently pretty dreadful, but I didn't last long in that game. I enjoyed what I tried of the PSO2 beta, but I'm not fully convinced gameguard is up to the job. Also, BROOMOP is apparently back in town (infamous PSO hacker from way back when).

Granted it was a few years ago... Me and a friend hacked a game called helbreath when it went pay to play so that you could play for free. It was "protected" by gameguard. Allowing you to play for free wasn't all we enabled either.

VariantX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VariantX

All that malicious hacking and NOL'ing stuff just made everyone paranoid who wanted to play the game legit and the only way to play in peace was to lock all of your games. The ability to just join in on a game in progress was just lost because of a-holes. You'd have ppl who would specifically join games just to see what weapon you had and they wanted it, proceed to PK you, and steal your weapon and mst and then pipe out and leave the lobby and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it. Then if you wander into the wrong lobby, you have guys who spam up the screen with gigantic text boxes which can make it impossible to see where the lobby counter is so you can escape from the room. Then losing a lvl 100+ character to NOL'ing just made me quit playing altogether. Took 100+ hours to get to that level, did not want to do it again since all of my friends either still had super high level characters, or they lost theirs too due to other bs. Why should anyone pay those monthly fees to play a game that is full of people who freely ruin the game for everyone who plays the game without hacking it? Hope that hacking BS stays dead and buried where it belongs, and I can happily piss on its grave.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cubical

I had more fun trying to read strangers intentions when they joined the game. it was like a cop crime drama Find out if they are lying try to read there poker face or looking for any suspicious behaviors.

Its was like a big fucking game of trying to find terrorist like the FBI and I got to fucking play phantasy star online too.

It was sweet as hell.

Oh and you could get into locked games that didnt help anybody.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Ahh hackers. 

Long ago on the Dreamcast I ran into a guy who kept killing me in the over world. He did it non stop. After spamming me with death for a wile I talked to a merchent. Which seemed to cause his "Hacking" To glitch. It backfired and he killed himself. I ran over and picked up ALL his stuff. And quickly logged off. 

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cubical

If you ware talking to a NPC the game code removes you as a player object nothing can attack you you hit boxes are gone.

Thus he was the only player object in the room so it targeted the nearist player object and that was him.

The reason they put that in the code is so when you talk to NPC in a battle zone you cant get killed by the monsters. the city is just a big battle area with out monsters and they turn off all attacking that is it the hack turns it back on and lets you target player characters.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Not a story about being NOL'ed, but a bunch of hackers apparently moved a bunch of the NPCs, includng the two mission girls and Koffee, outside of the lobby map on blocks 20 and 21 on ship 02. They're now inaccessable and you're unable to accept missions there.

It's really dumb and annoying for those of us who just want to play the game, but those are the only two blocks I've seen it happening on.

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ApeGantz

GameGuard is awesome. That's shitty as hell man and I'm glad that hasn't happened on me Ship and Block =; yet.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Someone tell SEGA that PSO2 is broken!

No Caption Provided
    Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cubical

Maybe it is a game bug and not a hacker and all they have to do is reset the server AKA block.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Cubical: Someone explained the hack as some really bad code SEGA implemented from a previous Phantasy Star game (due to laziness I figure) with regards to how the NPCs spawn. Basically, a script kiddie (or many) took advantage of the code and implemented a version via the launcher that placed the NPCs in the middle of lobbies, outside windows or other places in the lobbies that were pretty much inaccessible. Multiple blocks were affected.

Considering how there's a history of hackers/script kiddies as this thread suggests, that explanation is pretty reasonable. I'm sure SEGA did eventually take care of it with a server/block reset but still, these kinds of things shouldn't have to persist for hours. SEGA just launched this game, too, so I find the fact that this happened and continued as long as it did really odd.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cubical

Some people might get annoyed I find these hack to be hilarious though and entertaining/interesting...

I have not seen anybody do this hack yet but I have stopped playing that much since I am waiting for english.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By xymox

A bug that's only affecting the two most english-heavy blocks on practically the most english-heavy server? :/ has it only happened there? Sounds fishy.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Cubical: Yeah it wasn't actually that extreme since players who had free roam quests unlocked could circumvent the whole issue with inaccessible NPCs to accept/start quests by directly going to their camp ship and using a terminal there to select whichever specific quest they wanted to do.

I wonder if SEGA will actually have those kinks worked out by the English release. They probably will, but I dunno what to expect from SEGA anymore.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

75 accounts banned for using cheat tools

Apparently this was done to "make Sega pay" for not having global servers in the US version. Instead, they just made everybody play on different blocks and go on with their lives.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://jin115.com/archives/51884154.html

some dude messed with the NPC location in certain blocks of ship2

I'm not really sure, but some of the comment of this article mentioned it might have something to do with Korean?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? Seriously? The fuck is wrong with you?

Ruining the game for other people is great, huh? People who think that way shouldn't be allowed to play games online.

VariantX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VariantX

Geez, you'd think people would find something better to do with their time than screw around with everyone else's game experience. If anything I hope Sega wakes up from this and use better security measures for this game and all others in the future. Banning people is fine, but can only happen after the fact when the damage is done. Prevention is far more important in this case than punishment.

Broomop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Broomop

just like to say ive hacked the protocol its only time that i will find some cool stuff. theres alot of stuff i have done but unlike this little show off i keep my shit quiet. the only reason the npc's got moved was because he was scared i was going to beat him to it.. he said he was going to do this on the weekend but when he found out i knew alot about what he did. he soon did this the next day. I know alot about this new pso2 to a point where nobody can stop me now. the game is quite secure but there is alot of exploits :( shame really i would love to play this game legitly but if its possible to cheat i will do so. Ive been banned hardware style 5 times so far lol. But nothing stops me getting online its just a waste of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.