Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PixelJunk Shooter

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

The fourth PixelJunk release, PixelJunk Shooter, is an nontraditional dual-joystick shooter that allows the player to interact with various types of elements.

Hands-On With PixelJunk Shooter

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    The fluid dynamics set Shooter apart.
    Q-Games' quirky PixelJunk series is trundling right along with its fourth installment, the specifically titled PixelJunk Shooter. I got to play around with a demo version of the game at E3, and found that while it's certainly got shooting in it, it's not at all the kind of arcade-style side-scroller that comes to my mind when I hear the word "shooter." It's quite a bit more original than that.

You control a ship that can hover, and can fly and shoot in any direction. You're responsible for flying around inside a bunch of catacombs and rescuing little people stranded inside with an extendable grappling hook-like device you can drop down to snag them with. There were some flying enemies here and there in the demo I played, and quite a few turret-like ones mounted on the walls. The shooting uses dual-joystick controls, though luckily the game does a good bit of auto-aiming for you, so the combat wasn't too frustrating what with the omnidirectional movement and all.

Come back boss, I want to fight you!
    The really unique-slash-creative aspect of Shooter is its fluid dynamics, which it uses to simulate both water and lava in a reasonably realistic way. Both liquids slosh around inside pools and basins, and since some parts of each level are destructible, there are a lot of places where you can shoot out some rocks to cause one or the other to flow in a given direction. When water comes in contact with lava, it hardens into rock (which you can blow up), so a lot of the game's basic puzzle-solving revolves around figuring out how to get one liquid or the other where you want it to go so you can make a path to the people you need to rescue. It gets tricky since your ship can't get too close to lava for too long without overheating. You can always dunk yourself into some water to cool down quickly, at least.

Shooter has a two-player cooperative mode (local only; sorry, PSN junkies) that lets two people fly around in the same level. You can damage each other with your missiles, but on the upside, you can also use your grappling hook to save your buddy if his ship has overheated too drastically for him to fly on his own.

Q has a good thing going with the PixelJunk series, and Shooter looks like an entertaining addition to the series. The demo ended with a gigantic crab-like boss jumping out of the ground--though it cut to a "thanks for playing!" sort of screen before you could actually fight it--so there are certainly hints that there's more to the game than what was shown in the demo at E3. Here's a taste of the game that shows off the basic mechanics pretty well.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Brad
    Q-Games' quirky PixelJunk series is trundling right along with its fourth installment, the specifically titled PixelJunk Shooter. I got to play around with a demo version of the game at E3, and found that while it's certainly got shooting in it, it's not at all the kind of arcade-style side-scroller that comes to my mind when I hear the word "shooter." It's quite a bit more original than that.

You control a ship that can hover, and can fly and shoot in any direction. You're responsible for flying around inside a bunch of catacombs and rescuing little people stranded inside with an extendable grappling hook-like device you can drop down to snag them with. There were some flying enemies here and there in the demo I played, and quite a few turret-like ones mounted on the walls. The shooting uses dual-joystick controls, though luckily the game does a good bit of auto-aiming for you, so the combat wasn't too frustrating what with the omnidirectional movement and all.

The really unique-slash-creative aspect of Shooter is its fluid dynamics, which it uses to simulate both water and lava in a reasonably realistic way. Both liquids slosh around inside pools and basins, and since some parts of each level are destructible, there are a lot of places where you can shoot out some rocks to cause one or the other to flow in a given direction. When water comes in contact with lava, it hardens into rock (which you can blow up), so a lot of the game's basic puzzle-solving revolves around figuring out how to get one liquid or the other where you want it to go so you can make a path to the people you need to rescue. It gets tricky since your ship can't get too close to lava for too long without overheating. You can always dunk yourself into some water to cool down quickly, at least.

Shooter has a two-player cooperative mode (local only; sorry, PSN junkies) that lets two people fly around in the same level. You can damage each other with your missiles, but on the upside, you can also use your grappling hook to save your buddy if his ship has overheated too drastically for him to fly on his own.

Q has a good thing going with the PixelJunk series, and Shooter looks like an entertaining addition to the series. The demo ended with a gigantic crab-like boss jumping out of the ground--though it cut to a "thanks for playing!" sort of screen before you could actually fight it--so there are certainly hints that there's more to the game than what was shown in the demo at E3. Here's a taste of the game that shows off the basic mechanics pretty well.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TwoLines

Agghhh.. only on PS3 :(

ANDYx0WNEDxU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ANDYx0WNEDxU

:( ps3 exclusive = fail

Fubar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Fubar

L2PS3 ... lol :)

Anyways, looks really nice. Kinda makes me feel like im drunk, but i can live with that.
    MacDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MacDork

The other Pixel Junk games are good too :)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

glad i own a ps3!

Dirune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dirune

Superbly delightful. Good music too. Day one purchase.

Dpower94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Dpower94

This looks great and innovative, if I had a PS3 I would buy it ASAP.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Serker

movement was a little too floaty.. kinda wish it controlled super responsive like geo wars

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Looks awesome, just wish it had a better name

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

I really want to know what they are hiding? What we have seen is great, but they have also hinted at more.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Boiglenoight

Looks like a way cooler Solar Jetman.

Cactusman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cactusman

Heh, looks identical to an old Genesis game from my childhood. Sub-Terrania

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Another PixelJunk game?
    ReTarDedFisHy is sold. :)

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By asurastrike

I like the music in the trailer.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kilzombie

This looks great, I'd buy this as soon as it's released.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Media_Master

I don't get into super simple games like this anymore

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.