Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Playdate

Platform »

Playdate is a handheld designed by Panic. It has unique controls, a 'season' of games and is an open development platform.

the playdate is very cool

Blergh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

https://play.date/

they just put out a direct-style video that is pretty neat

i think that its pretty freaking sweet

dizzie_lizzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of love everything about this thing? It's unique, indie, comes with a little dock that holds a pen and acts as a speaker. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, even tough $179 is a tiny bit hefty for my budget.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

@dizzie_lizzie: I don't think the dock comes with it. They called it the first accessory. In the pre-order ad, it says coming soon under the dock. When they say "All for just $179," they mean the device with the 24 games.

dizzie_lizzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: fair enough. I still like the concept and uniqueness of it as a whole!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@dizzie_lizzie: Yeah, it seems cool but I can't justify it. If it takes off and becomes clear it'll have some staying power, I'll def be happy to consider it but it'd make more sense for me personally to find a used Vita for that much and mess with that or put $180 towards the next Switch or something. Neat looking thing tho.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the idea of this in theory, but I very rarely enjoy portable gaming. These kinds of simple games are appealing and the fact that there are some really cool developers involved makes me almost want it...but then I remember how I barely touched my Vita or 3DS even when those platforms were relevant, and every time I undock my Switch I just want to put it back, and...

I hope this thing does well. It looks really neat and it perfectly blends nostalgia and experimental game design in a way I super dig, but I don't have $200 to throw at something that I likely wouldn't actually play.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

like most teenage engineering products- i think it's a brilliant bit of design, but too expensive and niche for me to seriously consider purchasing.

though if someone were to give me an OP-1 i wouldn't kick it out of sack.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Oof that's a disappointment. I was somehow hoping deep down that this console was
    something super cheap and easy to assemble, like using 3D printers and stuff,
    and could be shipped around the globe for everyone to enjoy.
    If in an area without power, use the crank to reload the battery or provide backlight..
    That kinda thing.

As it is here, it seems like a quirky vaporwave gimmick without much to stand on
    beyond "look how quirky we are, we're making a thing that if it fails, at least it can
    be a paper weight that also holds pencils. So cute!"

It is kinda cute though..

singing_pigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*chanting* Lucas Pope! Lucas Pope! Lucas Pope!

Prometheum5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portable gaming is my whole childhood and still my favorite and the Playdate has been my most anticipated thing in gaming since its announcement. Today's concrete news amped that to 11!

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By whitegreyblack

I've been watching this device closely since it was first announced and it is exactly the quirky kind of device I can get behind. This is the sort of thing I spend too much money on procuring but then have some really memorable times tinkering with... it actually reminds me of most of the synths I've bought... kinda pricey but incredible to mess with.

Blergh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blergh said:

@singing_pigs: Bennett Foddy! Bennett Foddy! Bennett Foddy!

*chanting* Lucas Pope! Lucas Pope! Lucas Pope!

Kei-ta Ta-ka-hashi! *clapclapclap* Kei-ta Ta-ka-hashi! *clapclapclap* Kei-ta Ta-ka-hashi!

Blergh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blergh

@retris: Zach Gage! Zach Gage! Zach Gage!

i think that's as far as that bit can go now

sbarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like this thing but I threw money at the Analogue Pocket last year so I think one "coming soon" handheld device is enough for me. :-)

But as others in the thread have said, I'll keep an eye on this and if it takes off, maybe I'll pick one up later, since they said it's not designed to be a limited-run device (like the Pocket).

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'm pretty jazzed about this thing. It looks great! Been waiting for pre-order details for a while.

I do wish they'd just open up the development tools already instead of just keeping them among existing game developers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.