Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Will Giant Bomb declare PUBG eligible to receive awards?

• 128 results
    DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Poll Will Giant Bomb declare PUBG eligible to receive awards? (1179 votes)

Yes 54%
    No 31%
    Just show me the results ya goof 15%
     • 
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They will, and it will win. And I'll be supremely disappointed. But it's been their GOTY since, what? June? All other games never stood a chance. The way they talk about Mario, Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Persona 5, etc. makes them seem like well-liked games, but there're always tons of caveats whenever any of them come up. That doesn't happen with PUBG, for some weird reason. It's as if the game was faultless, or any fault could be simply disregarded with a reminder that it's in Early Access (which somehow, at the same time, doesn't mean anything anymore, it seems).

Yeah. Really not looking forward to GOTY discussions this year :/

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

I go back and forth on this. On one hand, judging a game that may change fundamentally before release doesn't seem like the right thing to do, especially when it may be a much stronger game and played more by the staff upon final release? Do you _have_ to judge the game when it first enters early access, or can you wait until the final release? If so, how do you make that call.

On the other, it is playable AND (more importantly) being sold. If it is able to be sold, it should be eligible to be judged (and if it ranks lower as a result of it being unfinished so be it), especially in an era when ostensibly finished games can undergo similar changes through patches/DLC. It gets especially weird when you consider things like Street Fighter V - that game essentially launched in early access in all but name, but there was no question of it being eligible.

There's no right answer IMO. It almost comes down to a judgement call to some extent, though that has the downside of being somewhat arbitrary - e.g. is this game essentially content complete and just being polished -> it should be included vs. is this game rapidly iterating and/or adding substantial new content -> it should wait until the final release. I half wonder if you have to go by the dev. date to avoid a whole bunch of inconsistencies - does e.g. something like Rainbow Six: Seige which (AFAIK) has been reworked into a much stronger game come back into consideration, or does the early access banner imply some sort of different treatment?

@kishinfoulux said:

Also I await the fiery rage when Persona 5 doesn't even sniff the top ten.

Everything else throughout the year is up for discussion (top 10 wise) besides Persona 5 for me. That's the only one I'll be slightly bitter about not even making the top 10 list. I feel like alex and ben will make a pitch for it to at least be on there, but the fervor for other stuff will bury it; which is a damn shame. I hope it can maybe make it onto the best style top 3...

It takes Best Music and Best Styyyyle for me, but I can see it falling outside of the overall Best 10. I'm almost stupidly strong on Persona 3/4, but I don't think the narrative of P5 hits anywhere near the same high notes of those. It's far too focused on the central narrative thread, rather than providing a vehicle for the characters to experience that[1], and there's almost no breathing room around that. As a result, I'm far less invested in the characters, and that main story thread just feels exhausting (it just isn't interesting enough to demand that close of attention IMO). That's compounded by the fact that some of the later dungeons just become tedious due to their puzzle designs. In a year this strong, I can see that being enough to push it out of the Best Game list, and I don't think that I would even by that bothered by it.

[1] In Persona 4, and to a lesser extent P3, I felt the narrative was a means to explore the characters. In P5, I feel like the characters are a means to drive the story, and I don't think that's a change for the better.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It will be top 3 if it doesn't win - and i guess it deserves to be since the whole crew had fun playing it, so it is the ultimate consensus choice. One of the few games that has got them to come together and play Mondays for weeks at a time. Usually when they start a feature like that they are bored within a month.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@efesell said:
    @captain_insano said:
    @drdarkstryfe said:

@mike: Zelda probably not going to be top three is going to send this place into a fiery hellstorm.

I don't think Zelda is a top 3 game this year....

I would have thought it was for like the week I was playing it and then the week after I stopped it's like the game had never existed. Nothing about Breath of the Wild stuck with me.

I feel the complete opposite, besides Mario it is easily the most fun I have had with a game this year. I was showing someone the beginning of the game a couple months ago and it gave me a huge itch to play it all over again; if I already didn't have time to play loads of other good/notable games from this year I probably would (and the fact that I am only on 666 Moons in Mario and want to get 100% in that game too.)

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It definitely will be. They pretty much said so on the GB podcast.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Cav829

If the current version they're floating as the 1.0 release were to be considered," then it shouldn't be in their top 10.

There's my hot take.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do they have a best of "Early Access" category? I can't remember. If they don't, they probably should, considering the abundance of early access titles these days.

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

PUBG 1.0 is releasing on PC later this month, making it eligible either way.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@df said:

If they can't find 10 games better than PUBG this year, they have a f*cking problem.

GOTY tends to be less about what is the best crafted and complete experience and more about what effected the most people on staff. Super Mario Maker and Hitman being pretty good examples, both good games that were lacking in a lot of key areas but GB got a lot of mileage out of them. Theres nothing wrong with that, it's the sites top ten not an objective analysis of what's good decided by science. (like the ranking of fighters series)

Personally I dont think it should qualify if it doesnt come out this year and think it's kind of funny that Bluehole seem to be scrambling to get it out just so it'll win a few accolades.

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should even if it doesn't leave Early access. Having said that if they do, they should also consider Deadcells as well.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The vast majority of games are evolving post release anyway, so why not consider it? You can buy it, you can play it, surely you can give it awards.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

yes and it won't win.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By MezZa

They should not give it any official ranking on the list aside from an honorary mention if it doesn't officially release. Here's why: What happens the year it actually releases? Does it get a spot that year as well? Does it get a new ranking? What about other games going forward that get significant updates or multiple releases. Are they then qualified to be on the top ten list for multiple years depending on if the crew really happens to enjoy it in a year that wasn't it's official release?

Keep it simple. If it released it counts. If it doesn't then it has to wait. Waiting til next year doesn't change their enjoyment they had with it. And if they cool on it by then, then I suppose that brings up the question of if the game is really that good or just a fad. They waited forever for Kerbal Space Program. They can wait for PUBG.

Note this is also why the best game of last year award exists. If they fail to properly recognize it in the appropriate year they .ca always give it some credit later.

If they feel it deserves an award then give it a ranking in a best early access title award. Given how some games never come out of early access or change drastically for better or worse it feels a bit precarious to start letting early access titles into a ranking restricted by year of release.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By fledeye

I’m in the “Early Access” doesn’t mean anything camp. If a publisher/developer/manufacturer allows you to exchange currency for a product, it is available for sale and therefore released.

Whether it’s in its final form or not shouldn’t really be a consideration anymore as games are constantly being updated. Hell, Steam downloaded an update for Portal the other day. Portal! A game that was released ten years ago.

I think it would be crazy if they didn’t discuss PUBG. There was a whole series of streams devoted to it and it was one of the biggest selling games this year. I think almost everyone who will own it on PC already does, so next year’s sales are going to be predominantly Xbox related and therefore, nowhere near as high as this year.

2017 was the year it was successful and should be the year it’s discussed at GOTY.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really hope they do, it would be super dumb not to.

I still think Mario will win though.

sochexum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By sochexum

Disqualified or not, I don't think it was one of the top 10 games of the year. Not even close for me. In fact I would go so far as to say that PUBG is a BAD GAME.

Knowing that it will be included and will definitely make top 3 if not win, makes me look forward less to the GOTY deliberations this year :(

It's a soulless husk of a game if I've ever seen one.

MasaakiO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sochexum said:

Disqualified or not, I don't think it was one of the top 10 games of the year. Not even close for me. In fact I would go so far as to say that PUBG is a BAD GAME.

Knowing that it will be included and will definitely make top 3 if not win, makes me look forward less to the GOTY deliberations this year :(

It's a soulless husk of a game if I've ever seen one.

I'm with you on this one. It might be fun and popular and has blown-up in an unexpected way for the developers but it's a buggy, un-optimised, laggy, de-synching mess of a competitive FPS game.

Most fun team-game of the year? Maybe. I've put in a lot of hours and had some hilarious and fun moments (and some crushing 2nd places). Most streamed game on Twitch 2017? Yes. GOTY? Nope. There are so many better games out there this year across all platforms, that are leagues ahead in all aspects of game production, that it's a really tough year to name something that clearly stands out from the rest.

If it gets anywhere near the top 5...well...that would boggle the mind. I hope the GB crew ignore the hype and popularity and think about what it really means for a game to be named game of the year. I don't want to listen to someone force their opinion on others until they back-down but it might be, 'one of those years'.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I say this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and forces the rules to be restated to reflect the new reality where some games are just perpetually in development. What is the real meaningful distinction between an Early Access game and anything else on Steam?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sochexum: I spent a decent amount of time watching (and listening in the background while I played other stuff) to the streams of this game. I never watched a full stream and would skip ahead sometimes, but it was enjoyable to listen to the staff's reactions as shit went down in the game.

I decided to buy it and try it. It was an absolute piece of shit. I played four matches and returned it, the only game I've ever returned on Steam.

BonafideGinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether they include it or not really shouldn't matter as I don't think it should win any category other than maybe best multiplayer game. I don't think it has any right winning any other category or honestly even being nominated.

VoodooTatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why people don't like PUBG but it's by far the most fun I've had with a game this year and the last 5 years really. My brother and I play it together and we have a great time. I believe most people who don't like the game don't have friends to play with because playing solo all the time can be rough. I don't think people realize that GOTY isn't about the most technically sound game. It's about what game the staff had the most fun with and what game had the biggest impact. Last year we got Hitman, which was a beautiful mess of a game. It resonated with the staff and they created content with it throughout the entire year. Just don't dismiss a game because you don't care for it.

jazzcatte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By jazzcatte

I don't think they will, but they should. The idea of a release date is clearly outmoded but from how Jeff has talked about it earlier this year it seems like he at least feels like the only way to make the change would've been to declare it a year in advance, and so I'd expect to see a rules adjustment starting next year and then "pubg presents: giant bomb's game of the year" or somesuch this year.

the_narrator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By the_narrator

I think it will be counted, and will be on the list, though that may be with an asterisk on the understanding that if the game hasn't hit 1.0 upon the release of the list it may or may not be counted. It may mark a reversal of policy from previous years, but PUBG is the perfect example of the problems with that policy and will cause some shift as a result (though that shift might be "we'll make a ruling before GOTY next year"). As others have said upthread, 2016 was *the* year for the game despite it being early access, and has (at the moment) a clearly-defined release date that falls within the year. It's definitely a challenge to established precedent, but the question of when a game is "done" is increasingly blurry.

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it wins best multiplayer experience and not best game, its hot trash when considered as a finished game. Jeff was hot on complete packages last year and PUBG is not a complete package its a multiplayer beta with a single game mode that the developers already stuck loot boxes on. It could also win best early access category.

sandrawilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this game does not get GOTY. Its a FUN game but the execution does not warrant a GOTY award.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think they said it would qualify last podcast since it's coming out in december for xbone.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#130  Edited By MocBucket62

So I read on some Resetera post that PUBG's 1.0 release for PC is suppose to now come out in 2018 (Not an OP, just an additional post in the IGN GOTY nominee thread). The poster said it was a fact but didn't provide a source in his post to back it up. I was looking up for sources and everything says its still coming out late this year. Anyone have any information about the 1.0 PC release coming out in 2018?

brewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this game does not get GOTY. Its a FUN game but the execution does not warrant a GOTY award.

I hope it does get GOTY, even though I don't like the game. It's the game they've played the most, enjoyed the most and put the most content up about this year.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I think it's delusional to think this game won't make the list.

- It could very well be their overall GoTY

- It is univerasally liked on the staff

- It is the game that they have played the most on the site (which is consistent with their trend in picking and Mariomaker the L2 years)

- There is no distinction between EA and 1.0 for games on steam generally and for this type of game especially.

- Adhering to an old policy just because it's "the official policy" rather than changing it to react to changes in the industry would be really silly.

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure they said they were going to move forward assuming that it would make it's date, which means it's eligible for GOTY. If it doesn't, they'd asterisk it and fuck the consequences.

They've been moving in the direction of talking about a game the year it's released since 2015ish. I think that makes sense. A game could maybe unfuck itself if launches busted OR it could go the other direction (ala MGSV). Games, even ones that have an "official" release, are already so fluid that it seems silly to disqualify great games like Dead Cells, which feel complete already, when games like Battlefront II are eligible even though they're changing daily AND still busted.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.