Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Games that have aged badly

• 71 results
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Just bought Resistance 2 as I thought I'd give it a go due to low price and high critical praise when it was released but my God do I regret that now - it looks hideous, feels clunky, has boneheaded AI, cheap deaths by the dozen, linear, dull corridor crawl gameplay (with poor scripting and no sense of scale - a clearly painted, static background vista does not impress any more) and a totally unimaginative world with cardboard characters. And all this from Insomniac. Did not see that coming at all. 

Anyone else go back to some good games of yesteryear and find themselves shocked?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

How old are we talking about exactly?

Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Zicdab

I played Psi-Ops this summer and though of it as a poor man's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  The ending didn't help either since it actually didn't "end."

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toast_burner

Is this a joke? how could Resistance 2 have aged badly if its not even old yet? 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By hatking
    @toast_burner:
    Plenty of games age poorly very quickly.  Go play Prototype and you'll know what I mean.  When somebody makes an innovation, something that becomes standard in that genre, the games before it feel dated and clunky.  I've never played any of the Resistance games, but I've seen it else where.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Griddler

GTAIV

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By EthanML

I played the original Spyro the Dragon yesterday. And it's still f'in awesome.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toast_burner
    @HatKing said:
    "@toast_burner: Plenty of games age poorly very quickly.  Go play Prototype and you'll know what I mean.  When somebody makes an innovation, something that becomes standard in that genre, the games before it feel dated and clunky.  I've never played any of the Resistance games, but I've seen it else where. "

prototype did age badly it was never good
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Willy105

Sonic Adventure.

Legend of Zelda (NES).

Command and Conquer.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Hashbrowns
    @zicdab said:
    "I played Psi-Ops this summer and though of it as a poor man's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  The ending didn't help either since it actually didn't "end." "

That's weird, because The Force Unleashed struck me as a poor man's Psi-Ops.  Seriously though, manipulating objects with telekinesis was far more elegant and effective in Psi-Ops. 

As for the topic, Grand Theft Auto IV qualifies.  I felt alone in my criticisms of the game's combat, considering just how acclaimed GTA IV was, but recently I've seen more people realizing how clunky the on-foot action in that game can be.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By fr0br0
    @girdz said:
    " GTAIV "
    When GTAIV was first released it was outdated. The combat had the quality of a first generation 360 game.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Halo

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Goly

I'm wondering, not really repying to the topic but whatever. How's the first Uncharted compared to the second one? Did it age well because I plan on playing it before getting U2.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By EVO
    @Goly: It's still amazing.
    baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By baconbits33
    @HitmanAgent47: I disagree, I think that Halo still to this very day is an awesome game to play, seriously the campaign to that game was soooo long and it was such a blast.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By evanbrau

For me the first generation 3D games for the likes of the PS1 and N64. I have no problem playing 16 bit games but early 3d games are just almost too much. I adore Syphon Filter 2 and tried going back and playing some multiplayer games with my friend but just couldn't.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

As a rule 3D games age wore than most titles. But Resistance 2's poor performance for you is surprising considering it's only a year old.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @Vitor said:
    "

Just bought Resistance 2 as I thought I'd give it a go due to low price and high critical praise when it was released but my God do I regret that now - it looks hideous, feels clunky, has boneheaded AI, cheap deaths by the dozen, linear, dull corridor crawl gameplay (with poor scripting and no sense of scale - a clearly painted, static background vista does not impress any more) and a totally unimaginative world with cardboard characters. And all this from Insomniac. Did not see that coming at all. 

Anyone else go back to some good games of yesteryear and find themselves shocked?

"

nah that game was just broke to begin with...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb

I really liked Resistance 2, and I think I'd still like it if I jumped into it today. I certainly don't think it looks hideous either. There are some great setpieces. I guess some of the bits inbetween are dull though. And the story's dumb.

I'd definitely pick GTAIV. I went back into that the other day and it was almost unplayable.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Besides halo which I only started to play last year where I can't figure out exactly why it's so good if your a pc gamer. Also half life and also tomb raider anniversary. Also hitman silent assassins. 

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ChickenPants

Plenty of people(myself included) felt that GTAIV was badly dated when it came out...

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blackbeard
    @Goly said:
    " I'm wondering, not really repying to the topic but whatever. How's the first Uncharted compared to the second one? Did it age well because I plan on playing it before getting U2. "  
     Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is still great. I have them both. Get it and play it before you play the second one. It's better to follow  the story and characters.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Resistance 2 isn't that bad, I agree with the cheap deaths but I still think it's a great game. 
    I would say Uncharted 1 has aged quite a bit, but it's still an awesome game like flickr said.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25  Edited By Symphony

Rival Schools. Looooved that game back in the PSX's heyday, but going back to the clunky polygonal graphics is rough. This picture actually makes it look better than it really is >.> Thankfully Project Justice (it's sequel) has aged better, but my copy is in storage somewhere and I have yet to find it again, arg!

Then again, a lot of great PSX games haven't aged so well, graphically. Such is the curse of 3D graphics -- 2D graphics are timeless and will always look good, if not realistic, while 3D had to evolve from clunky boxes into the fancy-looking polygonal objects we see in games today (which themselves will eventually look clunky and dated)
    Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Blackout62
    @Vitor said:
    "

"
    Whats weird is that the original Resistance aged great.
    Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Philedius

How does one know a game has aged badly when one has not played it before?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By beargirl1

GTA IV, probably. all the texture issues and pop in is just annoying now, and the combat isn't that great either. 

I can't say the same about Saint's Row 2, though (even though that game had meh graphics, but great lighting) as that game is still fun as hell. 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Djeffers03

yo man that call of duty mw2 ages like shit...

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vitor
    @Blackout62 said:
    " @Vitor said:
    "

"
    Whats weird is that the original Resistance aged great. "

I actually remember playing it at a friend's house when he had a PS3 before I did and thinking that it was generic and merely OK, not great. That being said, I still think I enjoyed it more then than I'm enjoying playing R2 right now....

It doesn't look truly terrible but there's a HUGE discrepancy between the cutscenes and gameplay despite both being in engines that really throws me - the fact that they marketed R2 using screens from the cutscenes doesn't help either as I went into the game expecting it to have all the crazy post-processing effects that the cinemas did and so was disappointed when I actually got to the real thing.

And I really meant recent games - mainly as I was so surprised at how old R2 feels despite being relatively new. 

And Uncharted 1 still looks incredible - a little clunkier than 2 but the story more than makes up for it as its really charming and fun.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

I played through Resistance 2 very early in the year and have to say that It was pretty boring. and I can fully understand why someone would say it looks bad... It doesn't look bad but when putting it side by side with a game like Killzone 2 it  doesn't have anything going for it... The enemy designs arent great either and there is a strange stiffness to the way people move. 

It has some awesome guns... it's just a shame theyre in a pretty mediocre game.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vitor
    @marioncobretti said:
    " I played through Resistance 2 very early in the year and have to say that It was pretty boring. and I can fully understand why someone would say it looks bad... It doesn't look bad but when putting it side by side with a game like Killzone 2 it  doesn't have anything going for it... The enemy designs arent great either and there is a strange stiffness to the way people move.  It has some awesome guns... it's just a shame theyre in a pretty mediocre game. "
    True - loved the auger and bullseye - only real creative element that Insomniac seemed to have infused the game with. Shame they don't do anywhere near enough damage though and feel far too weak despite some pretty cool atl fire modes
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vitor
    @marioncobretti said:
    " I played through Resistance 2 very early in the year and have to say that It was pretty boring. and I can fully understand why someone would say it looks bad... It doesn't look bad but when putting it side by side with a game like Killzone 2 it  doesn't have anything going for it... The enemy designs arent great either and there is a strange stiffness to the way people move.  It has some awesome guns... it's just a shame theyre in a pretty mediocre game. "
    True - loved the auger and bullseye - only real creative element that Insomniac seemed to have infused the game with. Shame they don't do anywhere near enough damage though and feel far too weak despite some pretty cool atl fire modes
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Godwind

Game that have aged poorly

Everything because I my imagination has come up with it includes dragon.  Real creative, huh?

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kagekage

GTAIV. The only thing that kept me with that game was the story and the fact that I could terrorize people in a helicopter.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

Resistance 2 is the Halo killer, you don't know what you're talking about. Also, I couldn't get into Dead Rising in December 09.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By sjschmidt93

GTA IV.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cstrang

Yeah, GTA IV kinda stands out in my mind, just in terms of kinda clunky controls and cover mechanics.  
    And Prototype, even though it didn't look that great when it came out 6 months ago, it just doesn't feel as good as it used to.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By thatfrood

System Shock 2
    Great at the time, but when I replayed it recently I realized just how bad the shooting was. Still very eerie but the gameplay was so poor compared to more recent games that I just stopped.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#40  Edited By Vinchenzo

World of Warcraft. They've been destroying it ever since the first expansion.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brunchies

I have to go with the majority and say GTA IV, the game just feels really clunky and not a lot of fun. 

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wh1terav3n

NES Legend of Zelda for sure

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Spike94
    @EthanML said:
    "I played the original Spyro the Dragon yesterday. And it's still f'in awesome. "

Always will be, bro. 
    Ya know, that gives me a fantastic idea...gonna play the trilogy again sometime... 
    THANKS MAN!
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JCGamer
    @evanbrau said:
    " For me the first generation 3D games for the likes of the PS1 and N64. I have no problem playing 16 bit games but early 3d games are just almost too much. I adore Syphon Filter 2 and tried going back and playing some multiplayer games with my friend but just couldn't. "
    Yea--almost all the PS1 and N64  games  (the 3-D games at least) are really hard to play today.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By Deusoma
    @Philedius said:
    " How does one know a game has aged badly when one has not played it before? "
    This pretty much sums it up. The topic starter's experience with Resistance 2 wasn't about a game aging badly, it was about playing a game he missed previously and discovering that it didn't meet his standards. Pretty much the opposite of what happened when I played the original Assassin's Creed for the first time last month.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By rjayb89
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " World of Warcraft. They've been destroying it ever since the first expansion. "
    Funny you mention that.  I just claimed my 7 days of WoW and man, I just can't play it anymore.  It's like they made it cater entirely to noobs.  The interface, oh man.  I mean if they had done this years ago, maybe I'd be playing it, but just knowing there was a time where I had to find out about things on my own, it's gone now.  Might as well be World of Noobcraft.  Wow.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@rjayb89 said:
    " @Vinchenzo said:
    " World of Warcraft. They've been destroying it ever since the first expansion. "
    Funny you mention that.  I just claimed my 7 days of WoW and man, I just can't play it anymore.  It's like they made it cater entirely to noobs.  The interface, oh man.  I mean if they had done this years ago, maybe I'd be playing it, but just knowing there was a time where I had to find out about things on my own, it's gone now.  Might as well be World of Noobcraft.  Wow. "
    I agree, it's basically holding your hand through the entire game now, pre-bc was the best era in my opinion.
    Lolerskates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lolerskates

This thread just made me /facepalm to the extreme. Complaining about new games that have "aged badly". Hilarious.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gruff182

Umm Resistance2 is hardly old. I said that game looked and played like crap when it cam out!

Tomb Raider and most PSone games haven't aged well, at all. That games was the shit when it came out!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive

fuck outta here. resistance 2 isnt a game about minute details, its unbelievably large scale epic. it looks kick ass. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.