Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is PS Plus worth it?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I dont use PS3 as my main multiplatform console, so im wondering what ill get with a PS Plus subscription. Anyone recommend it for someone who owns both a 360 and PS3 and plays most games on 360? What do I get?

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd suggest trying the three month subscription to see if you'll use it. The free games tend to be older, but it allows me to play stuff I missed like Vanquish and Infamous 2. You also get a bigger discount during most sales, which is also nice, but I think the free games are the real draw.

jayu26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jayu26

Look at the games that are free and on sale on PS+. Does any of them interest you? If yes, then you will find that PS+ is the best gaming service next to steam. If no, then its $50 that you can keep. If you have PS vita and plan on buying PS4 then it adds further value.

For me, I would have never tried Vanquish had it not been on PS+, but man now I am totally addicted to it.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you really need to ask exactly the same question twice within the space of an hour?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword

@jayu26 said:

Look at the games that are free and on sale on PS+. Does any of them interest you? If yes, then you will find that PS+ is the best gaming service next to steam. If no, then its $50 that you can keep. If you have PS vita and plan on buying PS4 then it adds further value.

For me, I would have never tried Vanquish had it not been on PS+, but man now I am totally addicted to it.

Id o plan on buying a PS4. and actualy I did have PS Plus when it was first around. But I wasnt sure if it became alot more compelling since then.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For me, it has given me lots of cool games I hadn't played (and wouldn't have played otherwise) and has made me get a lot more playtime out of my PS3 than I would have normally. I think it's a great deal especially if you also have a Vita.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a big fan of it so far. Got to play a bunch of games I missed and the discounts are nice. I'm interested to see what they do with it for PS4. Hopefully it will be just as compelling.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I bought a PS3 on Black Friday and so far it's pretty neat. >5 bucks a month for an instant collection of free games is definitely worth it for me.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

I bought a PS3 on Black Friday and so far it's pretty neat. >5 bucks a month for an instant collection of free games is definitely worth it for me.

But arent most the free games multiplatform stuff you probaly already played on your 360?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

There's a shitload of free games, unless you play damn near everything that's released you're not going to have played all of them; additionally sometimes a virtually brand new small dev team game will get put up like Double Dragon Neon, one of the best games overall last year; so why not? Vanquish is worth 20 bucks by itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZmB_TAsBc

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword said:

@ajamafalous said:

But arent most the free games multiplatform stuff you probaly already played on your 360?

(Well, for clarification, I haven't turned on my 360 in about 3 years; some of it is stuff I played on my PC.) But it's a lot of great games, some of which you may have played and some of which you haven't. Within the last few months, LBP2, InFamous 2, and Ratchet All 4 One were all part of the collection, for example. There's also a pretty good split between full retail disc games and PSN downloadable games; things like NBA Jam, Quantum Conundrum, Retro City Rampage, Double Dragon Neon, that Scott Pilgrim game, and that LOTR DotA-clone have all been free within the past few months. You also get pretty steep discounts on games as well. I bought Journey and a few other PSN-exclusives that I had missed for $3-7.

So yeah, there'll be some overlap with multiplatform stuff (Darksiders, Crysis 2, Batman Arkham City were all also free), but they look out for you with exclusives as well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

y u maek 2 threads?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword

Im kinda just worried that the free games ill get perform badly on PS3.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who doesn't really play his PS3, yes it's been worth it for me. If you're a die hard fan who's buying ps3 and vita games day one, than no cause all the instant collection games are games you already beat. It's funny though, the bigger Sony fan you are, the less PS Plus is actually worth it for you. There are some discounts that cushion that blow. Having trophies auto sync and firmware updates download overnight is kinda nice though.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: That's the nice thing about the service, if they underwhelm in performance then you didn't pay anything for them directly. Sony offers enough games to make it worth it. The free selection also heavily draws from first party devs, LBP, Infamous, Ratchet/Clank so you won't find the games on Xbox. These are games you may not have wanted to try in the first place but would like to sample. They also give pretty decent discount, cloud saves, automatic backups.

I primarily play on PC nowadays but I just reupped my subscription. Since I don't buy disc games for the PS3 any longer, its nice to turn on the console and have a few new things to play when I'm in the mood. Many of the free games have a coop/multiplayer focus, so it gives me a reason to connect with my friends list has gone ignored.

I also imagine that many of the new PS4 social services will go behind a pay wall soon, so if you plan to get the next console it may be worth considering. I would try the month or 3 month sub and see if you like the games they offer. Not sure if you are in NA, but Europe seems to get way better games.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meltac

Depends on if you're from EU or US, because EU's service is pretty much superior in any kind of way when it comes to content.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

I'd say it's the best deal in gaming nearly right now. If you have either a Vita OR a PS3, you should strongly consider it. If you have both, it's nearly a must.

Even a couple free games a year ends up paying the cost back pretty quickly, and there are some really good games that end up making it to PS+. Other times, there are good games that come out that I probably would never have played otherwise (Vanquish or Space Marine). The biggest downside I see is that sometimes I won't buy a game I may want right away, cause I have some hope that it will eventually go free. I still haven't played episodes 3-5 of the Walking Dead because of that.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

last year i won a month of free playstation plus in a playstation: all stars battle royal competition at some convention. after a month of playing boring sixty minute trials, and watching the discounts i never capitalized on, slowly pass me by. i realized it was one big jip.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoFooQ

I really love it for $50 I have played

saints row 2, just cause 2, closure, nba jam street fighter, mega man 9,nfl blitz, outland,warhammer, and infamous 2. that's the list of stuff I played

I still plan on playing at sometime

bioshock 2, darksiders, vanquish and rochard

Shiseiten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its worth it if you are US or EU PSN user, but for Asian PSN i can't say the same.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs. End of debate.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have gotten a lot of games through the subscription that I haven't bought myself in spite of the fact I tend to buy a lot. The fact that it also covers Playstation Vita is also welcome. I think it's worth having.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

You're an idiot if you don't use it.

Even if your interest and purchase of games is low, it still makes its self up on value.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b79306cd44df
    deactivated-5b79306cd44df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it is, it gives you the ability to download FREE!!! Triple A videogames, this is a great model, you only get the games if you pay for your membership 3 months (30 dollars) or 1 year (50 dollars <--- get this one) This is like the ULTIMATE renting service you could say because
    I downloaded games like Uncharted and Battlefield 3 and can play the heck out of them and they wont just sit around, it also makes you want to play more since you pay a subscription practically. Anyways I wish I wouldve got PSPlus instead of buying digital titles on my first PSN acount, you wont regret the renting model, it's awesome because either way the digital titles wont mean a thing if they discontinue PSN service later on.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rafaelfc

do you like playing games?

do you like getting a grab bag of random games for free?

do you like getting some pretty deep discounts on purchases?

if you answered yes to 2 or more of those questions then yes, it's worth it.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Corvak

Follow the sales each week and see if you'd make use of them.

The instant game collection is really nice, but only if you plan to subscribe long-term - think of it like Netflix - you have access while you're paying, but you don't really own the games. If a game pops up that you'd really like, but don't feel like it's worth buying - a three month is ~$17 or so. The full disc based games that appear on the service (usually about one a month) are usually $20-$40 on store shelves when they pop up on PS+.

If you're picking up a PS4, you'll probably subscribe for online play anyway.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yup, it seems to be! Thus, I quote from a very sane and reasonable and sexy man:

In less than one calender month PSN+ has given me:

PS3

• MAFIA II
    • When Vikings Attack
    • Spec Ops: The Line
    • Need for Speed Most Wanted
    • Battlefield 3
    • Saints Row: The Third
    • PAYDAY The Heist
    • Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
    • XCOM: Enemy Uknown
    • LittleBigPlanet Karting
    • ICO HD
    • Shadow of the Colossus HD
    • Demon’s Souls
    • Catherine
    • Malicious

PS Vita

• LEGO The Lord of the Rings
    • When Vikings Attack
    • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
    • Unit 13
    • Sine Mora
    • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    • Gravity Rush

For a total cost of:

£0.00

Thank you Sony. You’ll have me as a paying member for the next decade if you keep this up."

Source: http://www.heightofthegame.com/post/57537407935/filled-up-with-flavour

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Nodima

I consider video games far too expensive for my budget at $60, and I've spent most of the PS3 generation playing the NBA 2K series and little else as a result. Since getting a PS+ subscription last fall...well, it's been a while since I did the math but last time I did it which was probably around E3 I found that for my $50 subscription I had "saved" well over $800, money I would've never had to spend in the first place. Getting Street Fighter IV alone justified the price, let alone recent games like XCOM and Fight Night: Champion. It's best for games I'm slightly hesitant about like Just Cause 2 or inFamous 2 (LOVE the first one, inFamous 2's demo didn't click with me and the game barely did) and there have been so many blockbusters I was just wary about buying like the Bioshock series (I don't enjoy FPS at all, and turns out Infinite is the only fun game in the series) that have been available on PS+. It's an amazing service and quite frankly I don't get how Sony's able to consistently hit homeruns with it month after month.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spookytapes
    No Caption Provided

I'll just let Daniel answer you. It made the Vita worth owning and it makes me come back to my PS3 more often than I ever thought I would. PS+ is an exceptional value.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.