Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

It finally happened, YLOD.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

My 60 gig launch system finally died on me. Fucking depressing. I lost everything.

Well with the exception of my GT5 save file. Which is safely stored in the cloud.

I utilized a 40% trade in bonus at gamestop and traded in a majority of my PS3/360/PS2 games to get a new PS3. Though I don't miss most of the PS2 games, there are a couple PS3 games I regret trading in. but oh well. I will buy them again once I have a job. I only kept a few games.

• Disgaea 4
    • GT5
    • My imported PS3 games
    • Earth Defense Force 2017
    • MGS1-4
    • Resident Evil 1-4
    • Ace Combat 1-6
    • Silent Hill 1-(how ever many they made thru PS2)
    • All of the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games

Thats pretty much it. I guess I am glad to be rid of most of the shit in there that I will never play again. But I really have that hoarders urge when it comes to videogames. So I am trying to let go of that thing in me that wants to cling onto every list disc and cartridge.

The worst bit is I have never even had RROD on my 360 and I have had it for like a year longer than my PS3.

Anyway thanks for reading. I think I am going to go curl into a ball in the shower for a while.

EDIT: NOOOOO! My FInal Fantasy 9 Save file.... I was like on the third disc...

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

That sucks, expensive things shouldn't break.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Yup, my 60gb launch PS3 died, too, earlier this year. A bit of a heartbreak the first week, and an even bigger heartbreak now that I have a new HDTV. All these blu-ray movies and games gone to waste. Le sigh.

I'll pick up one soon or a PS4 someday. A 360 and PC can hold me over for quite awhile, especially with the future releases of this year. This Wii though, I can probably sell it and get a new PS3, but I want to stare shame in the face everyday.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

@KarlPilkington said:

That sucks, expensive things shouldn't break.

No shit. My goddamn NES still works. Well I had to replace the 32pin connector but that part was like $8.

We should go back to ROM carts. No moving parts, no heat, no fans, just simple.

heck even my PS1 still works like a champ. though I had to replace one little part but again it was like $2.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By McShank

It had to happen sooner or later. If my ps3 died on me again and i lost all my save's i would probably sell my games for new ones so i dont have to play them a third time through to get where i originally left off. My ps3 never had ylod or rlod.. it just melted inside >.<

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ESREVER

:(

I'm sorry for your loss. And I just saw you online a couple days ago playing D4.

*eyes his launch 60gb Ps3*

I love youuuuu, don't ever leave me! Especially since I just replaced the HDD with a 500gb. D:

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

@rjayb89 said:

Yup, my 60gb launch PS3 died, too, earlier this year. A bit of a heartbreak the first week, and an even bigger heartbreak now that I have a new HDTV. All these blu-ray movies and games gone to waste. Le sigh.

I'll pick up one soon or a PS4 someday. A 360 and PC can hold me over for quite awhile, especially with the future releases of this year. This Wii though, I can probably sell it and get a new PS3, but I want to stare shame in the face everyday.

I basically sat here all last night thinking how much I would rather have my PS3 instead of my PC or 360. But.. My name is blue for a reason.

@ESREVER: Well I am up and running again now. Though I lost just about all of my D4 progress. I was in EP.3 now I am in the middle of EP.1.

Anyway If I can manage to get the extra cash handy I will try taking my old PS3 to a shop and have it fixed. though I doubt it will be permanent even though they claim it to be.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Surkov

Back up your saves folks. That's the lesson I learned when my 80gb PS3 died. 

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By niamahai

but the new PS3 are so cheap now!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

@niamahai said:

but the new PS3 are so cheap now!

Well cheap if you have a job. I am currently among the ranks of the unemployed.

@Surkov said:

Yeah I had just started using the cloud save feature on PS+. But it backs up saves at night. and my PS3 died while I was playing a game. So its save didn't get backed up.

Also did I mention that I had to take apart my old PS3 to get my copy of D4 out of it. Luckily it was pretty simple. Still alot of delicate little ribbon connectors in there for my blood.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Xeiphyer

My 80gb just went like 2 weeks ago, goodbye backwards compatibility :(

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

Send it to gophermods.com
    I did that and they give you your exact system back for around $70. You could do that just to get your saves back and then sell the system for cheap.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devil240Z

@Chaos_Bladez: That's probably what I will end up doing.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rjayb89

Omg, gophermods.com. Perhaps me and my PS3 will love again.

@Devil240Z: Let me know if it works out well if you try it out, please!

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller
    @Devil240Z: Mine YLODed on May 17th and Gophermods fixed mine for $100.   The thermal paste cure takes 2 months, and you can't play your PS3 for more than 2 hours at a time while it cures, but it's been working fine since.   I recommend them.  
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Devil240Z

@rjayb89 said:

Well, I will probably use someone more local.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Devil240Z

@ninjakiller said:

@Devil240Z: Mine YLODed on May 17th and Gophermods fixed mine for $100. The thermal paste cure takes 2 months, and you can't play your PS3 for more than 2 hours at a time while it cures, but it's been working fine since. I recommend them.

Well good thing I have two PS3s now. :P

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wadtomaton

I had mine die on sunday. Had it for like prolly 4 years at this point (got it when it dropped to $500). I've been trying to fix it for pretty much the whole week. After swapping some stuff out on my friends dead unit, just to be on the safe side, I'm now attempting to see if I can get my friends up and working (in which case he will sell it to be for dirt cheap). Eventually going to have to just suck it up and replace it altogether though, as usually even when you get it working again it only lasts for a few months. It's been a fun experience though. I strip a ps3 down to it's mobo in like 40 min without guides now =D (and I got my Catherine disc out). I wrote a blog about it, though it's mostly just me rambling about things more than anything else. Hopefully I can have some more interesting blogs going forward XD

anbumakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By anbumakura

Dude, that sucks. I feel for you, I finally had my 360 die a year ago, and it was just out of warranty. It did give me a good excuse to buy the 360S though. I'm glad you were able to get a new one, even if you had to trade in a lot of your games. May this one live forever!

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kinapuff

Rest in peace, fine trey. I'm currently running my 3rd 60gb myself, so I know thou pain. Nothing like a YLOD to remind you to make those game backups, huh.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By wafflez

Mine is sitting in a box waiting until I have 130$ to send it in to get reballed. I shant give up on it! Everyone is giving me shit for loving persona 4 even though I've never played it.. I'm going to show them! (also, my ps2 is broken, otherwise I would have gone that route)

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chaos_Bladez
    @rjayb89 said:

Well I did it and it worked. However mine did only last 6 months after gophermods fixed it, but I didn't really adhere too strongly to their "2 hours at a time" thing for the first 2 months. I mainly did it for my saves and if it lasted longer, cool.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rjayb89

Hmm, interesting. Someday, I shall.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Devil240Z

@demonknightinuyasha: Yeah it sucks I think I got mine about 4 years ago too. Acutally I got it on September 25th 2007. So I'm short on the 4 years by a couple weeks. I know if I get my 60gig fixed it will only last a little while. I just want to do it to get the save files off of it.

@anbumakura: Haha thanks. I was hoping it was one of the new models but I think its the old version of the PS3 slim.

@Kinapuff: YUP.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Devil240Z

@wafflez said:

Mine is sitting in a box waiting until I have 130$ to send it in to get reballed. I shant give up on it! Everyone is giving me shit for loving persona 4 even though I've never played it.. I'm going to show them! (also, my ps2 is broken, otherwise I would have gone that route)

If you really wanna play persona 4 I am sure you can get a PS2 for alot less than $130.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By wafflez

@Devil240Z said:

@wafflez said:

If you really wanna play persona 4 I am sure you can get a PS2 for alot less than $130.

Of I've considered it. But unless I can get a ps2 for less than like 20-30 bucks, its not worth it. I'll just funnel that money into the cost of fixing it.

Also, anyone interested in repairs, Gophermods is the top for actually business'. You can find guys on ebay/craigslist but they wont be nearly as professional. I've had mine 'reflowed' (which is like 60$ and is only temporary) and I'm going to get it 'reballed' (which is more permanent for the 130$) The duders there are all awesome and understanding.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

That sucks, good luck with repurchasing those games a.s.a.p.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Kyle

@Surkov said:

How?

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Red12b

i've been through 3 now...this slim better not fuck out on me.

Mabufu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mabufu

My launch PS3 died within a year of purchase.. The worst part was getting my copy of Persona 3 out of the drive. I had to dismantle the whole thing, Blu-ray included to get the damn thing out.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Devil240Z

@Lovyth said:

My launch PS3 died within a year of purchase.. The worst part was getting my copy of Persona 3 out of the drive. I had to dismantle the whole thing, Blu-ray included to get the damn thing out.

I had to do that as well. At least it wasn't very difficult. I was in and out in about 30 mn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.