Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Next PS3 Firmware To Disable Linux Installs

• 192 results
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By ch13696

For anyone that wants linux on a console get the original Xbox. But I don't care much for the feature. Now if they start patching out backwards compatibility and stop selling PS2's then I'm going to be pissed.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By LiquidPrince

Meh, no loss.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#53  Edited By Brackynews
    "It Only Does -1"  
    Best I got, sorry.

@Nettacki said:

" It's probably a really bad April Fools joke. Don't believe me? Check the release date for this update.  Also, check the blog. You'll see that firmware updates are always posted by Eric Lempel. It just so happened that this one was posted by Patrick Seybold. The change in posters, at least to me, tells me of a massive prank being pulled by Sony at large here. "

Nah, you're imagining it. There's no whiff of a prank here. Seybold is higher up the ladder (Senior Director) than Lempel (Director), and in charge of Communications. That makes it MORE authentic, not less.  Seybold is the guy that APPROVES corporate message.

And the April 1 date?  That's the last work day this week.  No way they'll patch the firmware on Good Friday when all their technicians are at home or working overtime. It's horribly bad timing, all around.

I feel bad for Geoffrey Levand, "PS3-Linux maintainer", who a month ago said SCE management would continue to support it.  
    Clearly, management had another meeting. His mailbox must be full of hate by now.

It sucks to say this, but if you don't want to lose Linux, don't download the update, and say goodbye to PSN. I've owned a PSP-1000 for five years, I'm an old hand at denying firmware updates, but I got a PSP-3000 last year too.  Having to buy a second PS3 to live in both worlds would piss me off royally. 
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By cspiffo

Not that I care about the feature, but this is just another example of the lack of understanding Sony has with it's customers.  They are no longer the same company they were when Krazy Kutaragi was in charge of the the Playstation.  What a shame.  This is what happens when you cater too much to the early adopter.  You have no where to go but down.  Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo who are adding features, Sony continues to take them away (except for when it comes to bluray movie playback).  Whether this feature is useful or not is irrelevant.  It is still seen as a slight to the consumer. 

Sony needs to learn from Apple.  They are the kings of hardware/software updates. 

Also, does Sony honestly think for one second that this will prevent hacking when the feature is already available in some models?  Good grief.
    Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Nettacki
    @Brackynews said:
    " "It Only Does -1"  
    Best I got, sorry.

@Nettacki said:

" It's probably a really bad April Fools joke. Don't believe me? Check the release date for this update.  Also, check the blog. You'll see that firmware updates are always posted by Eric Lempel. It just so happened that this one was posted by Patrick Seybold. The change in posters, at least to me, tells me of a massive prank being pulled by Sony at large here. "

Nah, you're imagining it. There's no whiff of a prank here. Seybold is higher up the ladder (Senior Director) than Lempel (Director), and in charge of Communications. That makes it MORE authentic, not less.  Seybold is the guy that APPROVES corporate message.

And the April 1 date?  That's the last work day this week.  No way they'll patch the firmware on Good Friday when all their technicians are at home or working overtime. It's horribly bad timing, all around.

I feel bad for Geoffrey Levand, "PS3-Linux maintainer", who a month ago said SCE management would continue to support it.   Clearly, management had another meeting. His mailbox must be full of hate by now.  It sucks to say this, but if you don't want to lose Linux, don't download the update, and say goodbye to PSN. I've owned a PSP-1000 for five years, I'm an old hand at denying firmware updates.  Having to buy a second PS3 to live in both worlds would piss me off royally.  "
    Hmm, I see. Ok, I'll accept the loss of Linux on PS3 so long as they don't patch out PS2 BC on older consoles.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By korwin

I gave an early version of the PS3 Linux client a bash but it was pretty non functional at the time (I could get a GUI but that was about it), that and I don't know jack about Linux.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#57  Edited By Brackynews
    @cspiffo said:

Sony needs to learn from Apple.  They are the kings of hardware/software updates.

LOL, thanks that's the best laugh I've had all day!
    Clearly you've forgotten the things that Apple has removed from their systems without caring about user backlash:
    • Floppy drives
    • Firewire ports (they backpedaled)
    • PowerPC chips
    • Software support for PowerPC applications on Intel chips
    • Software support for Intel applications not compiled in the current OSX version 
      (I have 10.5 and 10.6 systems, and many 10.4 and 10.5 apps will not work in Snow Leopard)
    • The external iSight camera
    • All of the open and proprietary video-out ports, before the current proprietary one
    • Lots I don't remember because it didn't affect me personally

Apple is the king of not letting backwards compatibility slow them down. They are in LOCKSTEP with Sony.  As my bio says, my first computer was an Apple ][+. I've watched it happen for 25 years.
    piderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By piderman
    @cspiffo said:
    Also, does Sony honestly think for one second that this will prevent hacking when the feature is already available in some models?  Good grief. "
    The hackers used one extremely specific bug to 'hack' the PS3. That bug cannot be exploited anymore when you can't run any other OS. It will be a long time before pirated games can be run using this exploit, and Sony hopes that by then regular users will have lost their patience and upgraded to the new firmware. Thus hackers will have to find a new exploit and since it has taken them this long to find even one, I don't think they'll find another soon. See this move by Sony as damage control.
    shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By shadowblazer19
    @bitcloud said:
    " The final nail in the PS3s coffin, sales will drop across the board now. "
    I doubt many people really care to be honest.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    @cspiffo said:
    "Whether this feature is useful or not is irrelevant.  It is still seen as a slight to the consumer.  Sony needs to learn from Apple.  They are the kings of hardware/software updates."
    They essentially are by removing a feature that will make PS3 a more closed and regulated platform. Apple has removed many features from its products over the years, least of which was the ability to transfer music from an iPod to iTunes.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By napalm
    @Brackynews said:

" @cspiffo said:

LOL, thanks that's the best laugh I've had all day!
    Clearly you've forgotten the things that Apple has removed from their systems without caring about user backlash:
    • Floppy drives
    • Firewire ports (they backpedaled)
    • PowerPC chips
    • Software support for PowerPC applications
    • Software support for Intel applications not compiled in the current OSX version 
      (I have 10.5 and 10.6 systems, and many 10.4 and 10.5 apps will not work in Snow Leopard)
    • Support for the external iSight camera
    • Lots I don't remember because it didn't affect me personally
     Apple is the king of not letting backwards compatibility slow them down.  As my bio says, my first computer was an Apple ][+. I've watched it happen for 25 years. "
    Holy shit. Bitch more, please. You're not making enough noise.

Anyway, I'm bound to think this is a prank, but I'm not too sure, so I'll just wait and rub my chin in suspicion.
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By bravetoaster  Online

OMG I'm going to kill myself. This was the only reason why I bought a PS3, now it's just a waste of space. I can't believe this.
    But seriously, the PS3 is still good with or without this feature.

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By lhaymehr

Yeah right....you can stop a linux user installing linux to things. Get real.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I really feel people are exaggerating. There can't possibly any genuine agro over a feature no one uses.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in the town. Tonight there's gonna be trouble, so don't you be around. Don't you be around!

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By Jedted

Maybe next they'll remove the web browser cause they finally realized it was a pointless addon from the beginning.
    ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ezdude

I did use it, but it wasn't functional for me because I didn't have a flat television and my regular SD television just didn't work as a monitor for the yellow dog Linux interface. Also wireless didn't work when I installed it, I don't know if that is true later on.

greeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By greeble
    @nintendoeats:  Actually nintendo did remove something with an update...  the ability to play mp3s while viewing photos. (You can now only use .AAC)
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FesteringNeon

I personally didn't care for Linux on the PS3. Was just too clunky and slow from the start for me.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By Gregomasta
    @Landon said:
    " Whats linux... "
    btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By btman

why's everyone freaking out even if they don't use Linux?  Whats the harm it taking this away?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By TheHT

no idea why you'd want to install another os either. wierd.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By btman
    @Jedted said:
    " Maybe next they'll remove the web browser cause they finally realized it was a pointless addon from the beginning. "
    someones jealous they pay for internet and can't even browse the web.
    warpedzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By warpedzappa

Well that's a total bummer.. 

I mean, they couldn't just disable it for newly purchased ps3's?  

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By btman
    @warpedzappa:   it's not even in newly purchased ps3's
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By Addfwyn

While I hate to see features taken away, I also found the Linux ability kinda useless to begin with, so I can't say I am that upset with this.  Granted, I find Linux kinda silly as a whole to begin with anyway.

Jackal888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By Jackal888

The fake outrage, is funny. The majority of people who have a PS3 do not use Linux install. Its good that Sony may focus on games again.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know the PS3 could do this, and I cant imagine what you would ever even need it for. If they're taking it out to curb piracy, I don't really care.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By m1k3

lol, if the hate for this is real then you really need to use your brain. It was stated in the article already the it is for "security purposes." Remember that the guy who jailbroke the iphone already was able to access system files and information on the PS3. they're just trying to close all the possible gates.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By rjayb89

Huge whatevs from me.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By captain_clayman

if i wanted linux, i would install it on a computer. 
    i use my ps3 to play console games.  

cant sony find something better to do with updates then take away stuff?

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jambones

As a Linux user, this is kind of sad. On the other hand, it's understandable.  Any enthusiasts not looking to upgrade the firmware will find a way to keep tinkering, so all is not lost. At least they gave the option in the first place, I suppose.

Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

And the three people that used it are highly upset.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Andorski

What?!?  I can't use that one feature that I don't know how or would want to use?

It only does everything*.

* Only concerning things I care about.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#85  Edited By dezvous

Damn, people sure do like to make a big deal out of every little thing. 

As a person who works in the retail market and has sold many a PS3 to the unsuspecting buyer I have never once cited the ability to be able to install Linux on it as if it were somehow a worthwhile feature.  

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

People are poo-pooing the backlash to this.  Keep in mind there is a small percentage of the user-base who does super nerdy shit like installing linux on their PS3's.  I was honestly disappointed when my fatty PS3 busted and I found out I couldn't put linux on my new slim.  

I understand people getting annoyed with some fan boys making a bigger deal out of this than it is, but don't write off the fact that there are actually people out here that are genuinely disappointed that they can't use that feature anymore.

Its kind of like the Giant Bomb community.  Despite how large our group is, we are still in a niche of people.  The majority of the people in the world wouldn't understand the first thing about a lot of the stuff that we make a big deal out of here.

This is a big loss for the community of people who enjoy the use of open source operating systems.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TwoOneFive

it was a cool fucking thing for them to allow it in the first place though.  

this was bound to happen though, as soon as a hack was discovered its like sony had to say okay thats enough.  

The PS3 is incredible when it comes to hackers. I mean, look at the fucking 360, or any other console for that matter, nothing compares to the ps3 when it comes to security from hackers. and its crazy to think sony made the psp, nobody even buys games for that anymore lol 

@Jedted said:

" Maybe next they'll remove the web browser cause they finally realized it was a pointless addon from the beginning. "
    and i absolutely can not disagree with you more. 
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By guiseppe

I tried installing Linux on a PS2 a couple of years back, but to no success. I have thought about doing it on the PS3, but I just don't see the point. I mean I have a PC.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89  Edited By meptron

it was a silly feature to begin with

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I never use it but this is still a pain to be losing features from my console. Also, fuck you George Hotz!

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Johnny5

I don't have a PS3, but I thought it was one of the cooler features. The removal is justified I think, considering how well they've been going in terms of security.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By lockwoodx

Way to go sony. Sucker then in early, then shit on them down the road.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

useless brick!

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By max3000

So is that all this update does? No new features/fixes? Just removal of features?
    IMO, this could lead to a class action lawsuit since the other os was an advertised feature a few years ago before the slim. People who bought the original PS3s partly because of that feature (because they wanted to install XMBC and emulators on it and all around toying) will be pissed. Verily. I know I would.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's impossible for Sony to update every frigging Linux distro to get rid of the exploits, so I understand that they're pulling the plug on it.

Volkodlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By Volkodlak

Meh, who has a PS3 but no PC... install Linux on that if you care so much.

Jabberwocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jabberwocked

April fools anyone? 

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Crash_Happy

I was going to look at installing later this year, I'll have to do something else though if this goes ahead.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#100  Edited By wwfundertaker

Thats good to hear, the ps3 is a game console not a computer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.