Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Repair Fee (YLOD)

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blaster

My 60gb PS3 just died this week. Sony is asking me to pay CA $169 (US$150) to get it fix by them. I know many of you might say to get a new PS3 slim however I have Batman Arkham asylum stuck in the PS3. The only way to get it would be sending it to Sony or doing it myself. However, the real issue here is why the repair fee is so expensive. If Sony wants happy customers they should charge a reasonable repair fee and more in this economy. Someone from giantbomb should ask this to a sony rep in an interview.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

It pisses me off too, especially that they didn't drop the price of the repair after the price cut, I think that's a little unreasonable.  I guess they want people to buy Slims.  Personally if my PS3 dies with a disk stuck in it, I think I'll just get a Slim and take the old PS3 apart to get the disk out if I can.  I don't like how they only give you a 90-day warranty after getting it repaired, imagine how much it would suck if it died again after 91 days...

edit - if you decide to take your PS3 apart be very careful, they're nowhere as dangerous as a CRT, but you could still get shocked.  Optimally leave the thing unplugged for a week if you decide to try to take out the disk, and don't mess with the capacitors (look up the images on google).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm glad Sony builds quality products, but I agree there fee is a little steep.

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blaster
    @Diamond: yes 90day warranty is peatty bad too for what they charge. I tried asking to get a year warranty on the repair but they didn't accept. I don't want to try repair it myseft because if the problem is the same as the xbox360. The fix would only be temporal and the only benefit would be to take out the game and spend $300 to get a slim.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By calidan777

Will your PS3 power up? What exactly is it doing?

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blaster
    @Dasacant: yep, Also i asked if i could at least get them to get the disk out and not repair the console. But, they said the only way is to get it repair by them. That's really a bad design that I don't have the fault of. Why design a console without a way to physically take the game out. Even, Nintendo thought of that with the Wii
    Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dasacant2
    @calidan777 said:
    " Will your PS3 power up? What exactly is it doing? "
    If it is the yellow light of death it will not power on.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By calidan777

depending on the problem you might could fix it your self, I too have an original 60gb and when it died I was able to fix it myself for about $50.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Dasacant2
    @Blaster said:
    " @Dasacant: yep, Also i asked if i could at least get them to get the disk out and not repair the console. But, they said the only way is to get it repair by them. That's really a bad design that I don't have the fault of. Why design a console without a way to physically take the game out. Even, Nintendo thought of that with the Wii "
    Yes it certainly is questionable, considering that if your ps3 brakes it most likely was while you where playing a game.
    Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blaster

@calidan777 said:

It won't turn on.  It blinks green yellow green and then blinking red lights. It won't start and there is no way to get the disk out.  If i was Sony I would at least allow to eject the disk but it doesn' t

@calidan777:@calidan777 said:

" depending on the problem you might could fix it your self, I too have an original 60gb and when it died I was able to fix it myself for about $50. "

How long has it been since you repaired your PS3?  I am considering repairing it myself but with my experience with the xbox360, I know it's only a temporal fix
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By calidan777
    @Blaster said:

"  @calidan777 said:

It won't turn on.  It blinks green yellow green and then blinking red lights. It won't start and there is no way to get the disk out.  If i was Sony I would at least allow to eject the disk but it doesn' t

" depending on the problem you might could fix it your self, I too have an original 60gb and when it died I was able to fix it myself for about $50. "

How long has it been since you repaired your PS3?  I am considering repairing it myself but with my experience with the xbox360, I know it's only a temporal fix "
    About 3 or 4 months now, the power supply went out on mine so I went on e-bay and bought one for like $40-$50 and put it in myself. It's worked like a champ ever since.

Edit: I just read something online thats says that if you turn the power switch on the back of your PS3 "off" and then hold your finger on the "eject" button and then turn the power switch on the back of your PS3 "on" (while still holding the eject button), your game should come out.
    Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blaster
    @calidan777: How did you know it was the power supply?  I think mine could be a Power supply problem but most of the repair guides point out to the GPU and CPU. Did it show you the Yellow light? 

@calidan777 said:
    "About 3 or 4 months now, the power supply went out on mine so I went on e-bay and bought one for like $40-$50 and put it in myself. It's worked like a champ ever since.  Edit: I just read something online thats says that if you turn the power switch on the back of your PS3 "off" and then hold your finger on the "eject" button and then turn the power switch on the back of your PS3 "on" (while still holding the eject button), your game should come out. "
    I tried it, the ps3  won't eject the disk
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By calidan777

Nah, I knew it was the power supply because it wouldn't do anything. No lights, no nothin'. Did you try that manual eject trick I mentioned in my previous post?

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blaster

" Nah, I knew it was the power supply because it wouldn't do anything. No lights, no nothin'. Did you try that manual eject trick I mentioned in my previous post? "

I see. Then, I guess it should  be the CPU and GPU. I did try the manual eject trick and it didn't work. Thanks anyways
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By calidan777

There seems to be plenty of vids on youtube about this particular problem if you haven't already checked them out.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah that happened to me too, except I bought a three year best buy waranty thinking I wasted money. They had to give me a new ps3 with no backwards compatibility even if they didn't want to. Most of the time the console ylod, it's always the 60 gig sku. I think sony should extend their waranty to a two year waranty instead, it always breaks right after the waranty.

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blaster
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" Yeah that happened to me too, except I bought a three year best buy waranty thinking I wasted money. They had to give me a new ps3 with no backwards compatibility even if they didn't want to. Most of the time the console ylod, it's always the 60 gig sku. I think sony should extend their waranty to a two year waranty instead, it always breaks right after the waranty. "

It would be good but the launch consoles already have more than  2 years so They  may need a longer warranty.  I would have bought an extended warranty but at the time it was too expensive since it was from EB games. And it was only 2 years
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By NinjaHunter

About the stuck disc: 
    How long ago did it break? Because if you let it sit for awhile sometimes you can turn it on long enough to take the disc out.

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blaster
    @NinjaHunter:@NinjaHunter said:
    " About the stuck disc: How long ago did it break? Because if you let it sit for awhile sometimes you can turn it on long enough to take the disc out. "
    It broke this Thursday and I have try that but nothing. The thing is dead
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By sjschmidt93

What about a warranty? 

The only reason they get away with it is because PS3's failure rate is really low. 

Imagine if Microsoft charged for repairs...

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blaster
    @SJSchmidt93:@SJSchmidt93 said:
    " What about a warranty?  The only reason they get away with it is because PS3's failure rate is really low.  Imagine if Microsoft charged for repairs... "
    Microsoft does charge for out of warranty repairs (US$100). They do offer 3 year warranty on RRoD. I don't really have high hopes Sony will extend their warranty what I argue is that they should lower the repair cost.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny

The fee is way to much, I agree. But I do not recommend trying to take the game out yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.