Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Trophies to be mandatory from January 2009

litlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By litlike

Ok this is slightly old but i went through a few pages and didnt find anything on it so here ya go,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    from
    videogamer.com
    "VideoGamer.com can exclusively reveal that from January 2009 all newly released PS3 games will be required by Sony to support the console's Trophy system.

Earlier this week VideoGamer.com received a tip from an anonymous source within the UK video game industry that, from January 2009 onwards, all newly released PS3 titles will be required to support the PS3 Trophy system.

Today a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesperson confirmed that this information is accurate, stating: "Yes from Jan 09 all games must have trophies."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/20-11-2008-9989.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So there you go,next month all game new games will have trophys,seems like there will have to be a grace period though for games that where just finishing developement [i.e. trophie patches for a few more],but well just have to wait and see.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tekmojo
    mmhmm..
    SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SumoX

Good- while I understand why they sort of phased it in and didn't require it for a while, it's getting to the point where they've been around long enough that there's not much excuse to not include them. It was kind of infuriating to see multiplat games have acheivements in the 360 version and no trophies, since they're basically the same thing with a bit of a different weighting system.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

I think it's too little too late for trophies...

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Gameboi
    SumoX said:
    "Good- while I understand why they sort of phased it in and didn't require it for a while, it's getting to the point where they've been around long enough that there's not much excuse to not include them. It was kind of infuriating to see multiplatform games have achievements in the 360 version and no trophies, since they're basically the same thing with a bit of a different weighting system."
    Agreed. No reason not to include them from this point on.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

Does this also extend to mandatory patch to all past games? (probably not I just hoping)

Well, with trophies mandatory that just means Home is around the corner.

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By RodneythePom

I never thought they needed trophies in the first place to compete. This is good though.

litlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By litlike

I never thought of trophies as a make or break feature,but there cool,plus there is speculation that trophies could one form of currency in home,as for patching old games,there probably do some of the bigger titles but i doubt well see trophies for older launch era titles,you never know.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ket87

I wish Sony would encourage more retroactive Trophy support. They can't require per se' but maybe try to get more developers to patch their games. They should require every multiplat title to be patched for Trophies, they already have everything set up for the achievements and it would not take much work to transfer achievements over to Trophies, all they gotta do change the point values associated with achivements into bronze/silver/gold. Throw in a platinum for good measure and voila Trophies. A single person with half a brain can sit down and do that in like an hour.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Kush said:
    "I think it's too little too late for trophies..."
    Why would it be late...? I already have like at least 10 games that have Trophies...

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By yellownumber5
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Kush said:
    Why would it be late...? I already have like at least 10 games that have Trophies...

"
    Its too late to feel trophies being as competent as how achievements have been for the last few years.  Still now that Sony has "caught up" and that the trophy system offers a different approach to status other than a static numeration I think it is a good step.  Most of the argument of being "to late" is that since games have been multi-platform for a while now, the 360 has been required to have achievements since forever, and finally the PS3 is requiring it, after a couple years now.  I think Dead Space was really the first multi-platform PS3 game to offer the same achievements as the 360 without feeling shoehorned or compromised, even though there are a good number of specific PS3 downloadable games now that also offer these trophies.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

Trophies are to Achievements as NXE Avatars are to Miis.  It's just that simple.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yellownumber5
    MB said:
    "Trophies are to Achievements as NXE Avatars are to Miis.  It's just that simple."
    Yup... don't know what else to add to that, but Miis have friken bigass heads... so why does NXE have to have super huge heads?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Kush said:
    Why would it be late...? I already have like at least 10 games that have Trophies..."
    I think it's too late because they weren't mandatory from the start. When a game gets them patched in, they aren't retroactive...I'm sure people will care about trophies and those are probably the same people who like Home...I just don't think either are that great.
    yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yellownumber5
    Kush said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Kush said:
    Why would it be late...? I already have like at least 10 games that have Trophies..."
    I think it's too late because they weren't mandatory from the start. When a game gets them patched in, they aren't retroactive...I'm sure people will care about trophies and those are probably the same people who like Home...I just don't think either are that great."
    Wait.. who likes Home?... Does that actually exist?!?!

Joking aside you are right.  Even when trophies are introduced into a game that has been around for a while, it is part of the nature of the programming of those trophies that they cannot be retroactive.  I just kind of said exactly what you stated.., but if you don't see trophies as anything spectacular then I guess you don't care much for achievements either.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kush

I actually do like achievements (not in an obsessive way like many), but the reason I like them is because they have always been there. They were planned from the start and I know that every game will have them. I think they are implemented in a better way and I think their setup is better. Trophies obviously weren't planned...Sony simply looked at achievements said, "Hey...people like those things, let's copy them!" in the same way MS created Avatars to copy Miis.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kush said:
    I disagree and I understand your sentiment for that opinion but I think there are a lot of people who only have a Playstation or have just gotten a Playstation who will get hooked on trophies in the same way as achievements.

For those already invested in Gamerscore - well I think it'll be a harder sway.

A trophy cabinet in your Home house, while pointless, would be relatively rewarding though, no?
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mourne

They should have been mandatory long before this--or just not been included at all. It's such a blatant lifting of the achievements system that Sony should really do better by their fanbase (who have long trashed Achievements as "useless") and come up with something... you know, different. I have a PS3 and have not aimed to get a single trophy in a game to date. It just seems so meaningless if I can't do it in every single game, and not to mention that its 360 counterpart is actually implemented into the framework of the system. After spending time in Home and realizing how utterly useless it's becoming (moreso with the amount of time I spend with it), I have to question just why I even bother turning the power on anymore.

Here's to... an exclusive sometime late next year that may have some sort of proper set up for trophies.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By chililili
    Mourne said:
    "They should have been mandatory long before this--or just not been included at all. It's such a blatant lifting of the achievements system that Sony should really do better by their fanbase (who have long trashed Achievements as "useless") and come up with something... you know, different. I have a PS3 and have not aimed to get a single trophy in a game to date. It just seems so meaningless if I can't do it in every single game, and not to mention that its 360 counterpart is actually implemented into the framework of the system. After spending time in Home and realizing how utterly useless it's becoming (moreso with the amount of time I spend with it), I have to question just why I even bother turning the power on anymore.

Here's to... an exclusive sometime late next year that may have some sort of proper set up for trophies."
    Its impossible to not get trophies if you have a trophy game, there are very easy trophies, that you must get simply by playing normally. Also Home is currently incredibly useless, unless you like meeting random people and playing bowling and pool and stuff, its currently a crappy second life because they have not yet added the game launching options which is supposed to be the point of it. However I've met nice people there and made friends so its cool by me.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Kush said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Kush said:
    I think it's too late because they weren't mandatory from the start. When a game gets them patched in, they aren't retroactive...I'm sure people will care about trophies and those are probably the same people who like Home...I just don't think either are that great."

It's impossible to be mandatory from the start because games were already finishing development, and it was too late to implement them. Once all current games that are planned for release do get released, Sony is making sure the next bacth of games all of have Trophies.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mourne
    chililili said:
    "Its impossible to not get trophies if you have a trophy game, there are very easy trophies, that you must get simply by playing normally. Also Home is currently incredibly useless, unless you like meeting random people and playing bowling and pool and stuff, its currently a crappy second life because they have not yet added the game launching options which is supposed to be the point of it. However I've met nice people there and made friends so its cool by me."
    Yeah, I said "aimed" for a reason. I've got a few, but unlike with the 360, I've never sat down and said, "I want that trophy!". On occasion, an achievement on 360 will catch my eye, and I'll actually set some time aside to get it. Trophies are just too deliberate a knockoff for me to care for just yet (if I ever will).

Home is completely useless, no argument here.
    Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tomzombie

well there not much to do in home right now, 
    i don't see why not the 360 has them on all games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.