Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So my PS3 just died and...

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bibledoctor

I need some help with my PSN ID. My trusty 60gig Launch model just died out on me, with my MLB 10 The Show Disc inside. I got the blinking red light and after three tries, was unable to get it going again. My question is, if I buy one of the newer 160gigs will I be able to recover my PSN ID on the new console or is it stuck on my old one? I ask because this is the first time this has happened to me on this platform. I am familiar with the RRoD procedure on my 360 (happened once before), but I don't really know where to go from here with my PS3. My trophies were all synched and I understand I will likely lose my saves, which isn't a huge issue. I just want to know if i'll be able to successfully recover my PSN ID on a new console, and recover all my DLC and PSN games on my new console.

Thanks for the responses and the time in advance.

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By iGaboru

Yes you will be able to sign in with your old PSN ID in you new console, my PS3 died on me last year and when the new one came I resumed playing normally. You're just gonna have to re-download anything you purchased on PSN.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

yes, you have to recover it when you get a new ps3. i do think there is a way to get your disc out without using power.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bibledoctor
    @iGaboru said:
    " Yes you will be able to sign in with your old PSN ID in you new console, my PS3 died on me last year and when the new one came I resumed playing normally. You're just gonna have to re-download anything you purchased on PSN. "
    @iam3green said:
    " yes, you have to recover it when you get a new ps3. i do think there is a way to get your disc out without using power. "
    Appreciate the help.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I went this through this same issue a while ago and the only bummer is that unless you deactivated your account on the old PS3, any movies or TV shows you purchased on their will not work on the new PS3. Games and such work fine though. You can even re-download the videos, they just won't play.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bibledoctor
    @wewantsthering said:
    " I went this through this same issue a while ago and the only bummer is that unless you deactivated your account on the old PS3, any movies or TV shows you purchased on their will not work on the new PS3. Games and such work fine though. You can even re-download the videos, they just won't play. "
    I emailed sony's customer support, trying to get my PSN account deactivated on my old PS3. Haven't heard back yet, not surprising.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

Call them It's what I had to do when I got my 3rd YLOD. They deactivated all my accounts. Which also BTW reset my download count back to zero. 
    Still not worth the price of my 3rd YLOD
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deeveeus
    @BibleDoctor said:
    " @wewantsthering said:
    " I went this through this same issue a while ago and the only bummer is that unless you deactivated your account on the old PS3, any movies or TV shows you purchased on their will not work on the new PS3. Games and such work fine though. You can even re-download the videos, they just won't play. "
    I emailed sony's customer support, trying to get my PSN account deactivated on my old PS3. Haven't heard back yet, not surprising. "  
    You could clone your HD for the old one by switching out the HD and placing it in the newbie. Do a backup to an external drive, then copy to the new HD. I did it with my system (i upgraded my HDD for my laptop, so I put the older, much bigger drive in my PS3). It takes a little while, but everything was good to go sir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marcsman said:
    " Call them It's what I had to do when I got my 3rd YLOD. They deactivated all my accounts. Which also BTW reset my download count back to zero. Still not worth the price of my 3rd YLOD "
     Really? I called them and they said they could not deactivated. It was one of the reasons I returned my PS3 and they could have done it? Wow. Sony fail.
    @BibleDoctor said:
    " @wewantsthering said:
    I emailed sony's customer support, trying to get my PSN account deactivated on my old PS3. Haven't heard back yet, not surprising. "
    You are probably better off calling them.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bibledoctor
    @wewantsthering said:
    " @Marcsman said:
    " Call them It's what I had to do when I got my 3rd YLOD. They deactivated all my accounts. Which also BTW reset my download count back to zero. Still not worth the price of my 3rd YLOD "
     Really? I called them and they said they could not deactivated. It was one of the reasons I returned my PS3 and they could have done it? Wow. Sony fail.
    @BibleDoctor said:
    " @wewantsthering said:
    You are probably better off calling them. "
    I'll likely have to end up doing that. I already emailed them though so I might as well wait until I get a response (only been 24 hours). I'm assuming it is the regular customer support line, can't wait to be on hold.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Marcsman

Yeah they can do it over the phone. They need the serial number of the dead PS3. 
    Sorry to hear about that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deeveeus said:
    " @BibleDoctor said:
    " @wewantsthering said:
    You could clone your HD for the old one by switching out the HD and placing it in the newbie. Do a backup to an external drive, then copy to the new HD. I did it with my system (i upgraded my HDD for my laptop, so I put the older, much bigger drive in my PS3). It takes a little while, but everything was good to go sir "
    But would the videos that you downloaded from the store still work? I think it's tied to the serial of the PS3 unit.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By copycatzen
    @BibleDoctor:
    you have to call them. It took me 2 minutes
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deeveeus
    @wewantsthering said:
    " @Deeveeus said:
    " @BibleDoctor said:
    " @wewantsthering said:
    You could clone your HD for the old one by switching out the HD and placing it in the newbie. Do a backup to an external drive, then copy to the new HD. I did it with my system (i upgraded my HDD for my laptop, so I put the older, much bigger drive in my PS3). It takes a little while, but everything was good to go sir "
    But would the videos that you downloaded from the store still work? I think it's tied to the serial of the PS3 unit. "
    I wouldn't be able to say for sure, my games still worked...but it was the same PS3 unit as well....hrrrmmmmm, I dunno...perhaps the deactivation and re download is the easiest
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bibledoctor
    @copycatzen said:
    " @BibleDoctor: you have to call them. It took me 2 minutes "
    Just got an email reply, they asked me for all my PSN information that I signed up with, which I luckily have. The ending of the email said that once this is done, and all the information checks out, they will resolve this issue within 72 hours of my reply. I was shocked that I got a response so soon, and a response like that at all. Hopefully there is a happy ending to this mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.