Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sony's Good Will Gesture is 30 Days Free Playstation Plus

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Sarkhan
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "

"So have they told us what the free download is? 

"

They said on the blog that it is region spesific.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By N7
    @Andorski said:
    " @chrissedoff said:
    " what do you think guys, should i trust sony with my personal info and credit card number to take advantage of the wonderful benefits of playstation®plus such as "
    Even if Sony has created the perfectly secure network for PSN, I'd say that taking extra precaution wouldn't hurt.  Make a new email address to use to sign up for PSN, and use a unique password for it.  Don't put your CC information on PSN; instead, buy PSN pre-paid cards from Amazon.com (when you buy a card, they just send you the code to redeem in your PSN wallet). "
    I should also point out that Amazon has its own Playstation Network that you can purchase things from the PSN THROUGH Amazon. Just in case you want to excessively purchase things through the PSN as much as you've done now, just through the safety of Amazon.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Punk1984
    @Hailinel: Good news is your also going to get some form of "Free Content"
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @CL60: In which past life did I kick you in the nuts? MY point was you're believing something here is not evidence to support. You say it might be stolen. There isn't evidence to suggest that. There is evidence to suggest that it wasn't stolen. You choose not to believe that it is safe and okay. There is no evidence that it was stolen, there is evidence that it was not stolen. You believe it may have been stolen in the face of evidence to the contrary. "
    Now you're making things up? They never said there is evidence that it was not stolen. They said "There is no evidence currently that it was stolen, but we can't rule it out."

If they said There is evidence that it was not stolen that would mean they have evidence that it wasn't. Which they don't have. They just don't currently have evidence that it was stolen. But as they said themselves, THEY DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN. 

Which very clearly means they haven't found anything at all suggesting anything yet. The only thing supporting your claim of they have evidence that it wasn't stolen is the fact that they were encrypted. Otherwise they haven't found anything, but they don't know for certain.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#105  Edited By TepidShark

Think this will hurt any relationships with third-parties? (Look at how long it took them to get Valve & a few days after their game comes out the service goes down)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vortexus1981 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "

"
    They said on the blog that it is region spesific. "
    What is it for U.S? 
    Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Natedogg2
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    So have they told us what the free download is?  "
    I'm pretty sure they haven't said anything yet, but they did say each territory will select their own content. I'm assuming that when they announce when it will be back up, that's when they'll announce the free content.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By N7
    @The_Laughing_Man:  They will announce that on each respective regions' website soon, I do believe(I could be wrong though), which I'm assuming is the Playstation Blog for Europe, North America, and wherever the stuff for Japan gets announced.

I think it says in the press release on the PSBlog.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By KaosAngel
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Vortexus1981 said:
    "

"
    They said on the blog that it is region spesific. "
    What is it for U.S?  "
    Something specific to the U.S. I'm guessing..
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Sarkhan
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "

@Vortexus1981 said:
    "

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    "

"

"
    What is it for U.S? 

"

Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By RsistncE
    @Punk1984: I'm not freaking out, all I'm saying is that everyone here has the right to expect some form of compensation or restitution and that your conclusions (namely that credit card info has not been stolen) is not valid. That's all.

@N7: Well yeah, that's completely true. All we knew was that the entire database was stolen, but the details (in terms of how many of those accounts had legitimate personal data tied to them, CC info etc.) was up in the clouds for a while. Either way it's I just find it disconcerting that some people are thinking Sony is doing us a favour by giving us free shit; this isn't a favour, it's owed as far as I'm concerned and they should be so lucky that they haven't been targeted by a large organized class action suit.

Haha, maybe she's having to adjust statements such as, "All your credit card information was stolen and has now been redistributed to various criminal organizations around the world," to, "there is no evidence that credit card information was stolen," on the fly haha.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Even after Sony is humiliated before the entire world, they still cling to their smug culture. You would think some measure of humility would set in.  "We shall bless you little people of the world with 30 days of Playstation Plus for free." As if somehow this makes up for their gross negligence. Sure Sony, I'll trust you with my personal data.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#113  Edited By Hailinel
    @Vortexus1981 said:
    "

@Vortexus1981 said:
    "

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    "

"

"
    What is it for U.S? 

"
    Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon. "
    Who wants to bet it's going to be PAIN for at least one territory?
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TepidShark

They are talking about firewalls being like tunnels. Are they saying the hackers went through a series of tubes?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By RE_Player1
    @TepidShark: I think third parties will understand. Some like to talk a big game, remember when Bobby Kotick said he wasn't going to make PS3 games if they didn't drop the console price..., but Sony is a vital outlet. Even if games sell less that their 360 counterpart they can still sell millions on PS3, look at the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor franchises. Also in the case with Valve it is in their best interest to sell games on PS3 and 360. I'm sure Portal 2 was just a PS3 exclusive in that I can see all Valve games, PS3 and 360 versions, come with a free Steam copy. More people try Steam the more they buy stuff off the store. The more they buy stuff off the store the more money Valve gets... they are geniuses as they have one of the best money making schemes but pull it off looking good to consumers. 
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: @RsistncE:  They said the file was not accessed. You guys want more? Because that is enough for me.

I'm not saying Sony didn't F-up; I'm saying they were attacked and the attacker succeeded. Sony needed to come out and say; we're sorry, we'll do better next time (here's how) and here's a little something for your guys' trouble. Done! Do you want anymore? I mean it is ongoing criminal investigation involving one of the largest multi-national companies in the world there is going to be stuff they can't tell us.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#117  Edited By KaosAngel
    @QuistisTrepe: Look bro, I like you because you have the name of Nomura's best designed character ever...however, what else would you expect them to do?  Would you rather they not give back anything?
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By McShank

Free stuff for not being able to use a free service for a little while? Sure, why not. Gave me time to play other things like on my laptop and build a picnic table for mothers day to replace the rotting one.. Untill my account suddenly has *Unknown transactions* i will not be angry in the slightest at my *Info* being taken as it only takes 5minutes to go to my bank and tell them my info might have been compromised and i want a new card, done deal.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @QuistisTrepe said:
    " Even after Sony is humiliated before the entire world, they still cling to their smug culture. You would think some measure of humility would set in.  "We shall bless you little people of the world with 30 days of Playstation Plus for free." As if somehow this makes up for their gross negligence. Sure Sony, I'll trust you with my personal data. "
    Do you not know what a good-will gesture is? Do you really expect Sony to come to your doorstep and grovel at your feet?
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Punk1984
    @BigBoss1911: nope, Sony confirmed it during the press conference. Keep calm and carry on.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TepidShark
    @RE_Player92: I just bring it up because it is things like this are possibly the reason why third-parties don't support the PSP as much as they could be. Not the only reason but a big one.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By RE_Player1
    @QuistisTrepe: What do you want them to do, not give anything? If I was a company like Sony I would try to give people something that appears it has value but in reality is going to make me money. When they give all PSN users free PS+ I'm sure a percentage of them will resubscribe. If this happened to Microsoft they would give out free Xbox Live Gold time. If this happened to WOW they would give out free game time etc. 
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By Akeldama
    @CL60 said:
    " @Punk1984 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Sony just said there is no evidence of credit card numbers being accessed or of an customer damages related to the breach.

"

They also just said they want you to throughly check their credit card statement, and check their purchase history, and change all of your passwords. It doesn't matter if they said theres no evidence, they still acknowledge that's it's a possibility.  "
    Me coming to your house and cock slapping you is also a possibility. Likelihood of it happening? Pretty slim.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By RE_Player1
    @TepidShark: PSP was an extreme case as day 1 it was cracked and pirates would download games. I can see this leaving a bad taste in third parties mouths but in their case it will blow over. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By CL60
    @Akeldama said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Punk1984 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Sony just said there is no evidence of credit card numbers being accessed or of an customer damages related to the breach.

"

They also just said they want you to throughly check their credit card statement, and check their purchase history, and change all of your passwords. It doesn't matter if they said theres no evidence, they still acknowledge that's it's a possibility.  "
    Me coming to your house and cock slapping you is also a possibility. Likelihood of it happening? Pretty slim. "
    Unless your cock hacked my house, and It's being reported that it possibly got access to my face. Your comparison is stupid.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By N7
    @TepidShark:  They stopped really working with the PSP because once piracy hit, it blew the system wide open and it wasn't really a strong system to make a game for anymore.

The PS3 is a major console today and the PSN got hit for the first time since it came out. I don't think this is going to do anything to deter third-party support. Especially with how open and available the PSN is to indie developers as opposed to Microsoft or EA for publishing them. I do believe Hello Games(Developers of Joe Danger) said that they took their idea for JD to EA and they blew them off because he wasn't a monkey or some reason, whereas Sony took it in like "Brooooo this is soo cool! Hit us up dog!". A bunch of other developers had similar stories as well.

There's going to be trust issues for a while, with good reason, but realistically, I don't think this will impact the PS3 or the PSN in such a huge way over the years. Maybe somewhat big short term damage, but no long-term damage. Once they rebuild and relaunch, once people decide what they're going to do and if they're going to stay with the PS3 or go 360, it'll blow over and everyone'll forget.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By TepidShark
    @N7:  @RE_Player92:  I believe that too. Just thought I would bring it up.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Andorski

This whole "rebuilding trust" discussion makes me wonder what Sony is doing to rebuild developer's trust/faith in their platform.  Where's that jewish afro news guy when you need him?!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#129  Edited By Hailinel
    @Akeldama said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Punk1984 said:

"

Me coming to your house and cock slapping you is also a possibility. Likelihood of it happening? Pretty slim. "
    Slim, yes, but still a possibility.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By TepidShark
    @N7:  That is cool that Sony picked up Joe Danger after EA blew them off. I didn't know that.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By QuistisTrepe
    @RE_Player92 said:

" @QuistisTrepe: What do you want them to do, not give anything? If I was a company like Sony I would try to give people something that appears it has value but in reality is going to make me money. When they give all PSN users free PS+ I'm sure a percentage of them will resubscribe. If this happened to Microsoft they would give out free Xbox Live Gold time. If this happened to WOW they would give out free game time etc.  "

It's really just the whole way Sony has gone about this whole scenario. Rather than patch up security holes they knew of for months, they chose to pursue meaningless legal theater against GeoHot. Then you follow that up with a disturbing lack of transparency with the security breach and all, and you have millions of Sony customers who aren't going to be so forgiving over this matter. I just get the impression that Sony execs in their own minds think that they're really bending over backwards with this offer. I see it as a PR blunder under the circumstances.
         If Sony really wanted to do something productive and useful, they would come to a quick settlement on the points that have been raised in these class-action suits and to keep PSN offline until their security has been completely revamped. To offer free premium network access (the same network that just got thoroughly raped) just seems completely tactless and tone-deaf IMO.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By N7
    @TepidShark:  I thought that I read on Joystiq that EA was one of the developers that turned down Joe Danger, but I can't find that. Instead, I found this. Which is the exact same thing, sans the EA remark.

Apologies.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By TepidShark
    @N7:  Well it is still funny the things publishers say.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#134  Edited By bacongames

As a scare and inconvenience, this mess certainly deserves anger.  But it seems like being moralistic about business and misunderstanding of how this industry works is mixed with legitimate feelings yet again.  Realistically people should use safer means to purchase PSN content (i.e. buying codes from another location, buying PSN points) etc. and maybe think twice about commercial trust over the internet.  Otherwise this is the same old story of damage control.  I still can't believe people take everything Sony's doing right now as face value.  Next you're gonna tell me you thought "Mission Accomplished" was real in 2003.

This debacle demonstrates that our information put into in companies like Microsoft, Sony, and any other online distributor of content is ultimately out of our hands.  The fact that it happened with Sony is almost completely irrelevant.  It could easily have been Microsoft, Bank of America, Amazon, or Netflix.  Hence this should really be a discussion about trusting anyone with your credit card information and people's ignorance of what could happen.  I would hazard to say that if no damage was done (by the hackers) then this was a positive experience for everyone.  A good scare is all that's needed to wake up people to better security...at least for the time being.  If everyone's just gonna forget anyway then they get what's comin' to them, especially after the lesson was learned.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By N7
    @Tuffgong:  I should also provide a link to what I was talking about earlier.

Amazon has it's own Playstation Network that you can choose to buy things through, which everyone trusts Amazon(Although, it could be next. You literally never know in this day and age). And what, billions of people use it every month or something? Chances are, if we search and purchase things off of the internet, we've purchased something through Amazon. Which would be great news for people who want to continue using the Playstation 3, but unsure how they are going to go about buying things without a credit card.

For instance, you can buy Playstation Network cards and get a code to redeem immediately which can be used to also purchase things from the Store.

Amazon's own Playstation Network.

And no, I haven't been paid to say any of this stuff. I just want to help out as best as I can for people who aren't really sure what do.
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Sayishere

Oh im silly, theres a thread about this already

anyway my thoughts

im pretty suprised in what they are offering, since i had low expectations coming in
    MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#137  Edited By MudMan

So it's actually 30 days of plus, some free stuff out of the store (which is not going to be back up next week, but later this month, I guess?) and discounts on consultation about ID theft protection.

Sounds about right. I'd say it's even overkill if the public outroar hadn't been... well, actually way disproportionate to the actual events.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Ah just chuck some free shit at them that will ultimately probably make us money.. they'll forget all about it in a month"

And that you will.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I really don't care what they offer me but it's nice they have offered something.

To all the people bitching about PS+ don't forget that any DLC you download and other selected items are free forever (so you'll be getting all the KZ3 map packs for free). 
    harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By harinosho

30 day playstation plus membership really doesn't seem like much, im already paying the 50 a year, how about  portal 2 and the forthcoming battlefield 3 as compensation 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By Skald

The funny part is that Plus only means as much as the content Sony actually adds to it.

Fortunately, that means free stuff and more free stuff.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Punk1984 said:

"
    The bigger issue has always been the risk of identity theft.  Even if credit card information is stolen, it's very easy to cancel transactions and replace cards..  Someone getting a hold of all your personal details, name, address, date of birth - things that most certainly were stolen and completely wrecking your credit history for next 10 years, is something far more difficult to put right.

I'm not hugely impressed by this peace offering..  A free month of Plus is fine, but they owe that to those who are subscribing anyway and for people like me who don't care about the service, any free content will disappear when the subscription runs out.  The free content may be enticing but they've said it will vary with region, which undoubtedly mean Europe once again gets the short end of the stick.

But I hope to see the Sony defence force continue to try to defend them over this, your unshaken devotion to a faceless corporation is hilarious.  I hope their testicles taste good.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#143  Edited By Yanngc33

Free After Burner Climax for everybody YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Giacomito
    @WinterSnowblind: I'm just curious, and this is not just directed to you.

If you don't think it's enough to get free content (supposedly around 20$ worth of stuff) + 30 days of free PLUS (discounted games will be yours even after it ends).
    what would they had have to do to satisfy you? 
    I want to know because I cant think of anything else that they could realisticaly do.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Giacomito: Frankly, I'd like the ability to wipe all of my data from their severs, not just being able to change my password.  The free content we get might be enough make me happy, but like I said, I expect Europeans to get completely screwed.  We'll get a Playstation mini or at best, some lame PSN game nobody was buying anyway.  Discounts and whatever else are dependant on Sony putting them up..  How many great deals do you think they'll offer when they're having to provide the service to everyone for free?

I could be wrong, just excuse me if I'm not excited by the prospect.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Giacomito
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Giacomito: Frankly, I'd like the ability to wipe all of my data from their severs, not just being able to change my password.  The free content we get might be enough make me happy, but like I said, I expect Europeans to get completely screwed.  We'll get a Playstation mini or at best, some lame PSN game nobody was buying anyway.  Discounts and whatever else are dependant on Sony putting them up..  How many great deals do you think they'll offer when they're having to provide the service to everyone for free?

I could be wrong, just excuse me if I'm not excited by the prospect.
    "
    That makes sense, are you not able to delete your information though?
    They said that they will help anyone who wants to terminate their services. So I guess  you could terminate your service and wipe all your info, then just sign up fresh for PSN?

Yeah the free content is probably not going to be the best thing ever, but I dont think it's going to be a mini, they said that it was going to be wourth a couple of thousand yen, and that would be around 20 dollars, you get a whole lot more than just a mini for 20 dollars. 
    Well, there are already discounts in there aren't there? I have no idea what discounts are currently active but there should be SOMETHING worth while.

but yeah, I just don't see how much more they could do really. Either people accept it or they don't, I get the feeling that don't accept it wouldn't have been happy no matter what sony does, considering their info got leaked and everything.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Vexxan
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " Way to be vague yet again, Sony. Can you please just tell us what the free content is, for Christ's sake? "
    Sorry, you'll have to wait a week to find out.
    jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#148  Edited By jkuc316

Free content differs per Region. Says in the PS blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/30/press-release-some-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By penguindust

Isn't 30 days of Playstation Plus and  Qriocity like a giant advertisement for the service?  Way to turn a negative into a positive!  I wonder if I have to enter my credit card to gain access to those free features.

At this point I don't care.  I'm sick of the story.  I'm surprised at how many people seem to believe that because it's not a subscription service, they don't owe you squat for their negligence and time lost, but it seems that's how things are these days.  I guess if you got a free burger at a restaurant , they wouldn't Iiable it you got food poisoning either. 
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#150  Edited By JJGIANT

Nice Sony, I didn't feel entitled to anything but this is a nice surprise. Hopefully some dumb fuckers will shut the fuck up now!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.