Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Buy Diablo 3 now or wait for PS4?

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been on the fence about Diablo 3 since it hit consoles. I REALLY want to play it, but I know it's eventually coming to PS4 with the added expansion. There's been no date set but I figure April-May is a fair guess since the PC expansion hits late March.

Starting tomorrow (Dec. 24), it's on sale on PSN for $35.19.
    I'm still playing Ni No Kuni, likely to not see the end for a while. Still need to get through all three Infamous games (including maybe Festival of Blood) before Second Son comes out. I don't have the time for Diablo.

My main concern, though, is if there is enough replayability here to warrant repurchasing 5-6ish months from now. I know there's the expansion, but I tend to finish games and never return. I really want it on PS4.

So, do you think it's worth waiting for the next gen version and experiencing it first that way or should I just dive in now and buy it again later, if I'm not done with it by then. Regarding replayability, how's the main campaign? Do the different classes change the gameplay or story much?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My understanding is that the 360 and PS3 ports are actually really good, but I'd still wait for a next-gen version of any game. They don't cost anymore than a current gen game and are typically a bit better.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wait for PS4. It will come with the expansion.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd advise waiting. The expansion and loot 2.0 are gonna make the game much better imo. I'm playing through D3 again on the PTR and there are so many cool little changes and additions. Playing my regular DH very differently because of new skills and runes...really sweet. It should be around mid March for the AH closing and the 2.0 loot update, the expansion dropping, and the next gen console versions, so not so long to wait for the better version and game.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nutter

I loved the 360 demo, but Diablo games have legs. I'd LOVE an Xbox One port to download and just have whenever I want it on my system of choice. If that doesn't materialize, I'll just get it for PS4. I'd play on PC, but I just prefer playing games on a console.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you should wait.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I haven't even touched it yet. So yeah, I'm going to wait.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3 on the console is amazing. I got it for the Xbox360. But you should probably wait for the PS4 version. That would be the superior version I would think.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting the PS4 version. I'm not even %100 sold on it either way with my ongoing Activision boycott but this one will test my resolve.

Haven't purchased an Activision product since 08 (Geometry Wars 2) and proud of it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would wait if you're interested in the expansion. If not, it's a great port. The ability to roll is a real game changer.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I echo your sentiment. After playing the PS3 demo, it's killing me to wait for the PS4 version, but I'm going to do it. It will be worth it in the long run.

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm tempted by this as well, especially since I'm still sitting on my $10 PSN credit from buying the PS4. I think I need to try to hold out for the PS4 version, though. Man I love that controller.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jimmyfenix

Waiting as well.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Torchlight 2 just satisfied that itch better, listening to people rant about Diablo 3 sounds silly. I'll wait for a big collection of all those expansion packs.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

I bought Diablo 3 for ps3 and I wish I had waited. I kind of doubt they'll bring the expansion to old consoles, and I don't think the game ran particularly well on this old stuff. If I'm commenting on how bad a game runs, then it's really noticeable.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By r3beld0gg

Bleh. I was hoping everyone would just tell me to get it now lol. It'd make me feel better. I went ahead and got it while it was on sale so I could play it with my nephew tomorrow when I go to my Mom's for Christmas. Kinda tired of watching him play GTA5 (I keep him away from the strip club, lol) I'm going to start a game tonight and play a bit in the morning so I can get the hang of it, then start a new game with him tomorrow. Hopefully I'll still be interested when the PS4 version hits with that expansion. I've been putting off buying it since it came out on PC...

It wasn't about the money, but the time (since I have backlog to get through already, including the long assed Ni No Kuni) and also I don't want to blow my wad on the PS3 version then not want to cuddle with the PS4. Oh, well.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wait, it will come with a game of the year pack.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im waiting, if they were to announce a $10 PS3->PS4 upgrade, I would have purchased it. Since they haven't said anything about that, I am holding off.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm waiting for the PS4 version. I have the PC version and little interest to play it. I am looking forward to the expansion though. The PS4 version of Diablo 3 will include the expansion, so it's a no-brainer for me.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3 is a bad Diablo game and a waste of money.

Try Diablo 2 or Path of Exile instead.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marcsman

Get it. You can transfer your character's data into the next gen when it comes out.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Addfwyn

That wasn't really his question, but having played all three of those games...I vastly prefer Diablo 3, and the console version is really solid.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding replayability, how's the main campaign? Do the different classes change the gameplay or story much?

The classes change the gameplay a lot, but they barely matter for the story. Story progression is the same for all classes, they just have different commentary.
    And imho Diablo 3 (or any Diablo/Hack'n'Slash game) are not really suited for "finishing and never returning". These games are purely loot-driven, most of anything else is an mere afterthought to the loot-hunt, including the story.

If i would just finish the game once on normal, i'd feel cheated out of my money. But not everybody can stand running the same content again and again with little to no variation, except in difficulty. Sure they added a lot of randomization and random events to freshen it up, but in the end it's still just an endless loot-grind similar to an MMO.

You probably already knew most of this, i just wanted to point it out once again because of your "i finish games" statement as it seems kinda contradictory to your choice of game. One does not "finish" a Diablo game, you play them until a new one comes out or until you get tired of the loot-grind, but there is nothing to "finish" in Diablo, it's "unfinishable" by design.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By r3beld0gg

I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I'm not super far, I just beat the first major boss, but it's good. I don't know of Path of Exile, I'll look it up. I played both of the original Diablo games and remember loving them, but that was forever ago.

@nethlem said:

If i would just finish the game once on normal, i'd feel cheated out of my money. But not everybody can stand running the same content again and again with little to no variation, except in difficulty. Sure they added a lot of randomization and random events to freshen it up, but in the end it's still just an endless loot-grind similar to an MMO.

but there is nothing to "finish" in Diablo, it's "unfinishable" by design.

When I say "finish," of course I mean the main campaign. The same argument could be made for many games as there are people who feel the need to get all of the achievements/trophies, etc. to "finish" a game, then play multiplayer for hundreds of hours. I have a need to always be moving on to something new and rarely go back to games even if I really love them. There's always something else to play and time is limited. I put well over 100 hours into Dragon's Crown... so if this can hold me like that I'll be good. Few games do that to me. Ni No Kuni, Morrowind, Dragon's Crown, few others. I don't know yet if this is one of those games but I hope it is. I really like it so far, I just don't know if I'll run all of the difficulties over and over or not with different classes. Hopefully I can find some people to play online with as I think the multiplayer component is really interesting. Even if I stop playing it in a few weeks or a month, I'll probably run it again when it hits PS4 if for no other reason than to compare the graphics or do the expansion.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Dammit, despite my desire and advice to wait (especially given the dearth of PS4 releases) $35 on the psn is hard to ignore!

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yodasdarkside Yeah, I've been enjoying it. The multiplayer is pretty good if you can find people to play with. I've been hit and miss so far. Unfortunately there are a lot of lame asses out there modding their gear, some may even try to give you stuff. Lots of high level people try to give me their old gear or craft stuff for me, but I've started refusing their kindness. I find it kinda ruins the game for me... they are of the mindset that the game doesn't start until level 60, so they're just trying to boost you along. I disagree with that as when I hit 60 I'll probably start a new character.

Hit me up if you have a mic: R3belD0gg_ (Lv42 DH, Nightmare Master 5)

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play path of exile. Its free, and its better than Diablo 3.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not on consoles.

NoobKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on your pc,whether or not it is powerful

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's not better than D3 ^_~. It's fun though. I am super excited about Reaper of souls so you should probably pick up the next gen versions and see how beautiful it is :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.