Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Credit Card Problems on PSN?

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

Anyone else having a hard time getting past entering their credit card information when trying to redeem the free PSN month? It keeps telling me that my card is invalid, both on the PS4 itself and on the website.

I just used the card to buy the console, so I know it works fine.

Jdawg2825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jdawg2825

Same problem here

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

Are you on a PSN account that has never been touched by PS+ before, free trial or paid period? Because those accounts are the only ones eligible.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Where are you from? Where is your credit card from? Where is you account from?

I don't know about PS4, but PS3's store always had trouble if those three didn't coincide.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had trouble just logging into my account in the first place. I'm sure it's all just day one jitters.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By egg

I had the same problem years ago when I tried to enter my card on my PSP.

Then PSN got hacked.

No Caption Provided

..which is pretty fukken weird when I think about it. I shouldn't be glad that my card never worked... I should be pissed that my card ultimately would have been hacked. OP, are you so eager to put your credit card on the line?

Anyway, posting this in case the OP's situation was the same as mine. When I looked online, turns out other people had the same problem. Supposedly, some credit card companies (such as Mastercard) are more likely to be invalid.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Is the card a debit card you are inputting like a credit card? For some reason Sony and Apple hate debit cards and won't let them work in their systems. This is just from personal experience so I could just be unlucky.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to have this problem on my PS3, for some reason it would never accept my credit card and constantly told me it was invalid.

I did some research online and found out it wasn't an isolated thing, it had something to do with the CVV number on the back I think. All I know is there was no way to fix it.

jakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same exact problem. Have tried one of those Visa debit cards, vanilla visa cc and a mastercard. None work and they all give the same error. Haven't had PSN, or a ps+ account ever. Really bummed at this.

jakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also hate that the phone interface on Sony Support says "hit us up on chat." Really? Even if I did want to "hit them up" on their chat support it's down.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnal said:

Is the card a debit card you are inputting like a credit card? For some reason Sony and Apple hate debit cards and won't let them work in their systems. This is just from personal experience so I could just be unlucky.

Nope, its a regular credit card.

What might have happened is my bank was blocking it (had fraudulent charges in the past from Sony when someone stole my card) so it failed a bunch of times. I cleared it on the banks end but now I think it tripped the security lockout on Sonys end so I am waiting till sunday to try again.

Not a huge deal, I am starting off with Gods Among Us anyway so I don't need the online. Still annoying though, but at least getting through to Sony was super easy.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@jnal said:

I was hoping this was just launch day issues, but maybe not. They just NEED to be able to continuously screw you out of that 50 dollars a year, until your pry your credit card information from their cold dead hands, don't they? Sorry for the venom, but I've had some bad experinces in this area with Microsoft, and I had hoped that this nonsense was behind me.

Has ANYONE been able to get a pre-paid card to work for PlayStation Plus?

They said nothing about forcing you to give your actual credit card info for the FREE trial. This is bullshit. Even if I just buy an online code for a year of plus from Amazon, I'm still going to be screwed out of my free month.

Before I go ahead and do that, though, there's no chance that they'll require credit card info if I buy an online code for a year subscription, right?

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had the exact same issue when I bought my Vita on launch day. Talked to Sony customer care and they had to clue why it was happening and then about a week later it started working no problem. I remember from searching the Internet that it wasn't just me as it seemed to be a common occurrence.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mike17032

Well I am past their 24 hour lockout period and it still doesn't work. Tried all kinds of different games with changing the abbreviation and capitalization of my address, and still no luck.

I am about ready to give up, and simply never have a gold account. XBL already has my payment info, so I can just play my multiplayer games there. Why a rep can't just take my card over the phone is beyond me.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mike17032

Still won't take my card, talk about a stupid problem to have. Guess that means I will be buying most of my games on the Xbone for this generation, since I won't have +.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still won't take my card, talk about a stupid problem to have. Guess that means I will be buying most of my games on the Xbone for this generation, since I won't have +.

I'm confused you keep talking about your CC but you also say you're trying to redeem the free month of Plus. You don't need your CC for that and that free month is a trial for new members. It shouldn't work for previous or existing members, it saying invalid is what its supposed to be doing in that instance. Its the same way Xbox Live trial codes work they won't stack on an existing membership.

And if for whatever reason your CC is being rejected just a heads up Sony is very very picky with formatting. If you're not formatting your address correctly it will not work. I couldn't use my card for six months when I got a PS3 because I didn't know it wanted post office boxes written a certain way.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have stuck with buying $20 bucks PSN cards from a local 7 Eleven, and this was well before the whole Hack. I'm really paranoid with sites getting access to credit card info.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jnal said:

I was hoping this was just launch day issues, but maybe not. They just NEED to be able to continuously screw you out of that 50 dollars a year, until your pry your credit card information from their cold dead hands, don't they? Sorry for the venom, but I've had some bad experinces in this area with Microsoft, and I had hoped that this nonsense was behind me.

They said nothing about forcing you to give your actual credit card info for the FREE trial. This is bullshit. Even if I just buy an online code for a year of plus from Amazon, I'm still going to be screwed out of my free month.

Before I go ahead and do that, though, there's no chance that they'll require credit card info if I buy an online code for a year subscription, right?

Unless they changed it i'm pretty sure that PS+ doesn't automatically resub when it ends, it just ends. I know this cause they kept emailing me when mine was about to run out telling me that i'd no longer have access to my Instant Game Collection. Or maybe it does and i just had the option to do so off. I can't remember.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnal said:

I use a Walmart Moneycard which is a reloadable pre-paid card and it always works with PS+. It's been a pretty good solution for me and works with every internet service I have.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mike17032
    @mike17032 said:

I'm confused you keep talking about your CC but you also say you're trying to redeem the free month of Plus. You don't need your CC for that and that free month is a trial for new members. It shouldn't work for previous or existing members, it saying invalid is what its supposed to be doing in that instance. Its the same way Xbox Live trial codes work they won't stack on an existing membership.

And if for whatever reason your CC is being rejected just a heads up Sony is very very picky with formatting. If you're not formatting your address correctly it will not work. I couldn't use my card for six months when I got a PS3 because I didn't know it wanted post office boxes written a certain way.

At least on the PS4 itself it makes me enter a CC to redeem the code. I will try the website too but I suspect the same thing. It's what most companies do with "free trials", they start billing you after the free time is up if you don't turn it off. It takes the "free" code fine, but the next screen asks for a payment method and that's where things go bad.

I was OK with that, because I wanted to give + a try. I have had my account for a while but it was never a + account, and never had a payment method associated with it.

Maybe it is an address formatting problem, and that is one of the answers Sony gave me too. But I tried entering it several different ways, including exactly how it shows up on my credit card companies end. My address is fairly simple, no apartment number or PO Box or anything like that. Just a street number and street name (have tried it abbreviated and spelled out).

Thanks for the info, if I ever do get it to work I will post again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.