Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 and DualShock 4 redesigns leaked

• 101 results
    flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By flakmunkey

A lot of assumptions that if real, this is a PS4 slim. How do we know it isn't the Neo? My assumption has been that sony wouldn't create a "slim" PS4 and the "Neo" would just be the PS4 moving forward with a sell through of gen 1s to reduce stock. I would not be surprised if it turned out this is just what the "Neo" looks like and it's branded/sold as just PS4. Definitely appears to have some kind of "vr port" or something built in on the back, and 3 USB ports on the front now. Also, what is that other thing above the console in pic 2? Is that a ps camera?

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Material looks like something 3d printed. Package also looks poorly designed. 99.5% chance of FAKE.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah more and more it's leaning towards Sony showing off the slim redesign as shown in the OP at the Sept 7th event and also the PS4k

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By paulmako

So the confirmation is getting a boxfrom the guy who said they got it from Gumtree?

I now think someone has gutted a PS4 and put it in a new homemade box. Somehow. I will keep denying to myself that this is real.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As someone who waited to get a PS3 until the slim, changed my PS2 and 360 to the slim versions I am happy if they put out a slim PS4. There is something about the slim versions that makes them sexy. I almost wanted an XBOX One just because they released the slim version. I've been using Mini-ITX PCs for the last 5 years.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really get the hate. It just looks like a PS4 with rounded corners?

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I totally think it's real. But personally I don't think it's 'slim' enough to get excited about.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks really cheap, aggressive price cut coming.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, i'll still believe it when it's announced. People do some crazy/cool things, could be a hardware mod for all i know. Seems odd somebody would be able to not only see one, but buy it before it's even announced.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The only thing I am not a fan in the redesign is the position of the power and eject buttons. What kind of thin little fingers do they expect people to have to use them?

Other than that, it seems legit.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ripelivejam

i prefer my parallelograms SHARP EDGED!!!!

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks fine, few things about it that don't seem amazing(as mentioned the power/eject buttons and lack of the light) I do like the matte finish look, but to me less is generally more in this regard. However if I were to rank all of the designs of the PS4 and Xbox1 it would go - OG PS4 - Xbox1S - PS4 Slim - OG Xbox 1

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@quipido: Ah the good ol ' people who don't agree with me are just doing it to be contrarian'

You are correct, I went too far in the oposite direction and that was a mistake.

I was just expecting to find proper opinions and was excited to talk about the design, but the several posted coments were "ugly" and "looks like shit" and stuff and that bummed me out.

Of course it is a design that will appeal to some people and not to others and that's ok, my first reaction was definitely a positive one.

The internet sometimes just gets to me and GB is on of the few places where that is less common, is all.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By hassun

Looks like Eurogamer was forced to take down the video, going to dig up a mirror somewhere.

Edit: found one.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@quipido: It's all good. We all have our moments. Personally i think it's a sleek little black box, which is fine. But it's not a design that i would call 'sexy'.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flakmunkey: Sony have said that the Neo/PS4.5 is not replacing the current PS4, they will be sold alongside each other. And that funky port in the back (don't have the best of view) is most likely the port for the PlayStation camera that exists on the current PS4. I believe VR is just pumped through the HDMI port unless im mistaken.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well, that looks like ass. It's especially bad when you compare it to the Xbox One S, which is maybe the best slim redesign in history.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's cheaper, then fuck it. Beautiful in my eyes.

Does it have real buttons?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#70  Edited By isomeri

Here I was hoping that Sony would revise the DS4 to take out the touchpad and light. What seems to have happened instead is that whey've added even more lights to the thing.

Loading Video...

EDIT: More pictures and videos coming in.

Stop with the blinking lights, please!
    Stop with the blinking lights, please!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kasaioni

I dunno, could be real. I'm reminded of when the PS3 Slim was leaked and everyone was calling "fake" on that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the look of it and I hope the Neo (or whatever it ends up being called) is that small. My tv stand is running out of space lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looks cheap

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

It's real.

Loading Video...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64: That link got taken down, but here's a new one.

Loading Video...

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this design aesthetic doesn't carry over to the NEO :(

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: @jjor64: Updated the OP and title. If you have another mirror of that video let me know.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

Here I was hoping that Sony would revise the DS4 to take out the touchpad and light. What seems to have happened instead is that whey've added even more lights to the thing.

I can see why people might not like the light, but what's wrong with the touchpad? Not that it's really used much, but I find it convenient to have a giant button in the otherwise dead space in the middle.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: From what I understand, the touchpad is quite a substantial battery drain because it's constantly on standby waiting for feedback. I just think that because pretty much no game uses the touchpad, they could just replace it with a button and save on cost and the aforementioned battery life.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Slim" nowadays seems to be missing the point with negligible decreases in size. Back in my day we had the PS2 slim, now that is how you do a slim redesigned console!

That aside I'm not crazy on the aesthetic, vastly prefer the hard angles of the original compared to the rounded edges of this. Not that it really matters you just stick it under the TV and forget about it.

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony is sure working hard to keep that DS4 video down. I kinda like my white PS4 better, the new one's fine, but definitely not something I'd seek out at any point.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah clear fake. The video doesn't show any interaction with the actual console, also the packaging for the console doesn't have any clear tape stuck to it's glossy surfaces around where the disc goes which is a sure sign that's not legit. Good try though... Ugly design never the less.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Very elaborate fake if it is fake. I'm willing to bet this is the new PS4 and PS4 neo will retain the original PS4s look.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By nicolasvh

I find it very weird that GiantBomb hasn't reported on this. I'm sure it's just a resources thing, but it comes across a bit biased that you make a big deal out of your big discoveries/reveals or those of friends (Austin, Patrick) and don't even make a mini news post about something as big as this

But hey, I'm probably seeing things that aren't there, sorry everyone!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ehhh, not into the light showing at the top of the touchpad.

Wish more games would use the actual touchpad though.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely the real deal. I know because it's only 500GB and freaking ugly.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@isomeri: this may be incorrect but I believe the 'ol light is mandatory for VR compatibility.

I quite like the look of this PS4 slim. The price will be a big deciding factor for me but I would love to get one and give my old PS4 to a friend. That said, would like to hear about how loud this unit runs!

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they add ANOTHER light to the controller or replace the one on the top of the controller?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: The front light is definitely needed for the camera to pick it up, similar to how the Move worked.

I personally like the new light on the touch pad. Anytime you have a few controllers in play it got a little confusing, having to flipping it over to see which color/controller you have. Never really had that problem with the number lights on the DS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Could the box itself look cheaper because they're trying to cram more hardware in it at a decent price point? Could that be a thing? I don't know much about how these things get priced out.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By isomeri

This guy on Twitter who seems to have one is saying that the battery in the new DS4 is the same as the old one (1000 mAh). For comparison a single Eneloop AA is 1900 mAh. So it's really no wonder that the charge in an Xbox One controller with two Eneloops lasts ages longer than in a DualShock 4.

Also, there appears to be no 4K BluRay drive in the PS4 Slim, which is odd considering how Sony should have a vested interest in pushing everything and anything 4K.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 kinda looks like a sandwich maker or something, doesn't look ugly though. Hope they fix the 'pelling off' problem with the analog sticks, 'cause even though I'm not an agressive player, mine are long gone by now - or did they already fix that ?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#93  Edited By rorie

Man, if they already have packaging for it, I assume this'll have to hit soon.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@batmanbatman: I want to say they've fixed it although my original sticks have long since been replaced by cheap third party ones which, as well as being incredibly cheap, are a lot grippier. It's a 5 minute job.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the new DS4 has more resilient sticks/triggers I'd be interested. Cover on sticks wears out too fast, and springs in triggers can jam up.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never thought the PS4 would need a slim version. It's already a very reasonable size for what you get. The Xbox One, however, did need something a little more, let's just say, manageable. I don't mind the look of the Xbox One, but it did always seem a little too big. The slim version is definitely welcome.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like any other console revision, this isn't about being slimmer. Its about being cheaper. Smaller form, cheaper materials, removal of lesser used features (optical out). This is a price cut console aimed at people who play infrequently or those who want a bedroom PS4. I don't think any current PS4 owners should see this as an upgrade path, nor do Playstation themselves. That's what Neo is for. This looks exactly as it should look, cheap.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By all accounts, it looks like Sony was attempting to pull a Sega Saturn and do a "PS4 Slim is available today!" type of announcement.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MrPlatitude

@drdarkstryfe said:

By all accounts, it looks like Sony was attempting to pull a Sega Saturn and do a "PS4 Slim is available today!" type of announcement.

Guess they're probably regretting that decision now...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.