Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 memory crisis incoming?

• 83 results
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

So, I ain't readin' 2000 posts, especially if this thread went the way I think it did...

Is this an apt summary of this thread?

- Nebulous tweet from some duder who thinks there might be "bad news" on the horizon for Sony.

- Thread gets posted.

- Anti-Sony fanboys come flocking in full of glee and smiles.

- News turns out to not be a reduction of RAM.

- Anti-Sony fanboys scamper back off into the woods, editing posts left and right

- PS4 is architecturally the same as we thought it was last week

This guy from neogaf got it right.

So twitter guy wanted attention and got the wrong kind.

Pretty much.

Im pretty sure he did say "Drama" Then back peddled when Neogaf blew up. Has Sony said anything yet?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

So, I ain't readin' 2000 posts, especially if this thread went the way I think it did...

- Nebulous tweet from some duder who thinks there might be "bad news" on the horizon for Sony.

- Thread gets posted.

- Anti-Sony fanboys scamper back off into the woods, editing posts left and right

Pretty much.

Im pretty sure he did say "Drama" Then back peddled when Neogaf blew up. Has Sony said anything yet?

Yeah now he is trying to switch around the argument like "hey folks nothings wrong!" while the rest of neogaf is exploding. Nothing yet although both sony and eurogamer put up a video of comparing the ps4 size to the ps3.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

- Thread gets posted.

Pretty much.

Yeah now he is trying to switch around the argument like "hey folks nothings wrong!" while the rest of neogaf is exploding. Nothing yet although both sony and eurogamer put up a video of comparing the ps4 size to the ps3.

So one of two things is happening. Eurogamer really did find something and said something then Sony told them to shut the hell up. OR This dude wanted attention and got to much and now has to try and recover.

Reminds me of that bombcast about Ryan going to the hotel and the pot smokers. Repercussions for your internet bullshit.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By EXTomar

Wait, so is Phil Fish trapped at the Earth's core as a power source for the PS4?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

- Thread gets posted.

Pretty much.

FOUND IT!

http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory_1

The PlayStation 4 gives up 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

- Thread gets posted.

Pretty much.

FOUND IT!

You beat me to the punch :p I cant believe this was so over blown .

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

- Thread gets posted.

Pretty much.

FOUND IT!

Well so now X1 and PS4 more or less have the same ram for games....Would you like to make the topic? I got the last one..

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@jimmyfenix said:

- Thread gets posted.

Pretty much.

FOUND IT!

Well so now X1 and PS4 more or less have the same ram for games....Would you like to make the topic? I got the last one..

I made a new topic! let the chaos begin!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So does this matter?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SomeJerk

For the first releases of PS4 games, this matters not. 99% of them started development on 4gig devkits.

After they've refined and improved the OS so that they can cut down the amount of RAM allocated to the OS, games developed for that version of the machine will be able to use more RAM.

Then time goes on, the OS uses less and less, games get to use more, everybody wins. The major thing here is that it starts out using 3.5 gigs for OS and will end up using far far less rather than having a constant chunk.

I can't say boo or yay to this as long as we get our 1080p60 games but what in the world, 3.5 gigs, makes me think the 15 minute recording stuff is heading straight to RAM.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: Yup nothing major except for everyone on neogaf going "WHAT I WANTED A GAME CONSOLE ARGHHH :@"

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: Yup nothing major except for everyone on neogaf going "WHAT I WANTED A GAME CONSOLE ARGHHH :@"

In a most wonderful manner, aaaah..

Seriously, The Last of Us. 256 megs of RAM for the system and a BSD based OS in the background, 256 megs of graphical memory, looks and moves and plays like a dream. PS4 development currently goes up to 5.5 gigs for system and graphical memory shared.

Just like with the crap the Xbox One has gotten, I think we're all going to be okay as long as the developers choose the good target of 1080p60 rather than "look good in still images".

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

@jimmyfenix said:

In a most wonderful manner, aaaah..

Seriously, The Last of Us. 256 megs of RAM for the system and a BSD based OS in the background, 256 megs of graphical memory, looks and moves and plays like a dream. PS4 development currently goes up to 5.5 gigs for system and graphical memory shared.

Just like with the crap the Xbox One has gotten, I think we're all going to be okay as long as the developers choose the good target of 1080p60 rather than "look good in still images".

This is more of a blow to " Na na na PS4 has 7 gigs of ram and X1 has 5*

Avatar image for badass_master_blaster
    Badass_Master_Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the price holds firm im still happy, the official article is doing a nice job of making sonys future efforts with the os space sound good.....official sony statement should be inbound anytime now. Wonder what that'll be like

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This is pretty thin reporting especially given DF's mistakes the past month or so on other things related to both consoles.

This feels very much like a site hyping up some big announce the day before and then posting unconfirmed findings based on limited information later.

Not buying into it at this point, especially given that even an indie like Jonathan Blow is saying they're using in excess of 5GB for The Witness.

Also, this would mean that in the time that the PS4 went from 4GB of RAM on the development table to 8GB of RAM, Killzone: SF went from using 512MB for development to 5GB.

This article is pretty questionable, shady in nature even, I don't think anyone can assume anything from what amounts to an unconfirmed editorial by DF.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, this would mean that in the time that the PS4 went from 4GB of RAM on the development table to 8GB of RAM, Killzone: SF went from using 512MB for development to 5GB.

Seems sketchy to not make any sense whatsoever, to be sure.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

From a reputable poster on Gaf with ties to developers in the industry:

Here's the deal...somewhat. From a dev at one of the biggest in the industry. Just a messenger here.

Dev still a little cagey to give out 100% concrete numbers unfortunately like I was previously told, so I apologize ahead of time that they're not as detailed, but these are supposed to be the closest to detailed info I get on the OS footprint:

-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking

-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.

-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.

-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it.

- And finally as an important point, I'm being told the faster RAM in the PS4 does in fact make a huge difference.

Also, our worst fears confirmed:

No Caption Provided

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vertrucio

To further resolve the issue, another reputable poster has confirmed that there are games using a full 6GB memory allotment.

Ultimately this means that there is no set memory standard yet, at least not for everyone. Sony is probably letting some AAA and first party teams have at it to see what they can do with the extra space, and "holding some back" for itself.

But nothing is set in stone until release, and even then they can still come back years later with a chisel. ;)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To further resolve the issue, another reputable poster has confirmed that there are games using a full 6GB memory allotment.

Ultimately this means that there is no set memory standard yet, at least not for everyone. Sony is probably letting some AAA and first party teams have at it to see what they can do with the extra space, and "holding some back" for itself.

But nothing is set in stone until release, and even then they can still come back years later with a chisel. ;)

Link?

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So......they are going to be using the system memory found in the latest Intellivision?? Balls back in your court now Microsoft.....

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Vertrucio

@the_laughing_man said:

Sorry, it's buried in a gaf thread and you know how that places moves. The poster who said it was one of those people privately verified by a mod as being an insider when he was challenged.

I know it sounds fishy, but I really don't like posting baseless rumors. This is as best we'll get to a confirmation without breaking NDAs.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

IT'S A REAL CRISIS!! IT'S A CRISIS!!
    IT'S A REAL CRISIS!! IT'S A CRISIS!!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#76  Edited By Brackynews
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

at least we got a nice gif^^

I can see that gif (which isn't loading in a reply...) being extremely erotic for some people. I hope someone has already came up with a X-philia term for getting off on building a case.

Also, I want to strangle anyone who bitches about future specs that don't matter at fucking all. The current boxes have half a gig - they're doing fine.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

@darji said:

I can see that gif (which isn't loading in a reply...) being extremely erotic for some people. I hope someone has already came up with a X-philia term for getting off on building a case.

Also, I want to strangle anyone who bitches about future specs that don't matter at fucking all. The current boxes have half a gig - they're doing fine.

Doing fine compared to what? Other 360 and PS3 games? Well yeah, that's kind of how it would work if they just developed on the same consoles forever.

Feel free to try to strangle me, since I'm more than willing to tell you that RAM is not a "spec that does not matter at fucking all."

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

@darji said:

Doing fine compared to what? Other 360 and PS3 games? Well yeah, that's kind of how it would work if they just developed on the same consoles forever.

Feel free to try to strangle me, since I'm more than willing to tell you that RAM is not a "spec that does not matter at fucking all."

Point 1 - People will develop for the lowest common denominator

Point 2 - Unless you're some crazy Digital Foundry freak, you can barely discern the differences that are there

Is it even remotely possible to ask people such as yourself to simply enjoy the fucking games without counting pixels and getting butthurt that Halo 3 is rendered at 640p rather than 720p (the injustice!)?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

Sorry, it's buried in a gaf thread and you know how that places moves. The poster who said it was one of those people privately verified by a mod as being an insider when he was challenged.

I know it sounds fishy, but I really don't like posting baseless rumors. This is as best we'll get to a confirmation without breaking NDAs.

....Uhuh....

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Go do a search in the GAF thread yourself.

I don't care if you don't believe me, but at this point I'd rather do something productive than search through 50 page threads for the exact quote. Especially since this whole mess will be sorted out when the consoles release, and will likely change after that.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem with the memory? hmm this may hurt Sony.

This is the most intense pre-console war I've ever seen.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bet it's that PS4 will only have 512MB of RAM and next gen multiplatform games won't be playable.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bet it's that PS4 will only have 512MB of RAM and next gen multiplatform games won't be playable.

Shit, you figured out the secret. Assassin's incoming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.