Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PSA: PS4 supports only 2.5" hard drives, max height 9.5mm

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I've seen several people freaking out about install sizes and running out and grabbing 2TB hard drives that they're probably going to discover wont' fit in their brand new PS4.

So, just to be clear, the requirements for PS4 hard drives are:

• 2.5" Hard Drive (standard laptop size)
    • 9.5mm or less height (this is what's going to be the sticking point with most larger 1.5TB or 2TB drives)
    • 5400 RPM or faster SATA II
    • At least 160GB (not sure why you would want to put in anything that small, but yo, whatever)
    • The PS4 will not support external hard drives.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yep, precisely. The largest I've seen is 1.5T. However, there are several 1T options to choose from. But that's it, right now.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RuthLoose

So pretty much exactly the same situation as the PlayStation 3.

I recommend people check out the Samsung SpinPoint 1 TB going for around $73 USD on Amazon.com last I checked. It's not the fastest but it is the cheapest size/dollar ratio if you are looking to double that initial drive size in the near future.

EDIT: Is there going to be this weird 500 GB aftermarket for people ditching their hard drives over the next 6 months-year between the XB1 and PS4?

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BoFooQ

You said PS4 will not support external hard drives at launch does anyone know if this is something that will be patched in down the line?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bofooq said:

You said PS4 will not support external hard drives at launch does anyone know if this is something that will be patched in down the line?

Usually Yoshida would have said that they're working on it but for now, it's a resounding no.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bofooq said:

If I remember correctly they will not allow it for piracy reasons etc. I am sure they they already said definitely NO to all this

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Any word on how I can daisy chain hard drives together to get around this?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@darji: Yeah, that makes some sense, and I honestly prefer them just not being supported as opposed to a hardware based DRM system like what Nintendo has. While it has some advantages, there are just too many scenarios where Nintendo's coupling of hardware and software is inconvenient.

For now, I'm just going to edit the OP to make it clear that it isn't something people should count on ever happening.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tempted to get a hybrid drive to see what the performance would be like. I'm assuming they won't be an issue.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@mrfluke: Yeah, that looks like it should work. No clue how well the PS4 works with SSD or SSHD, but I don't think you need to be worried about it not working.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scroll: I tossed one in for PS3 since wasnt a real price difference. Not much speed improvement, but then the bottleneck isnt the HD at this point.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@datajack: Yeah the prices are so close so why not? But... I think I'll wait until next year.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RuthLoose

@mrfluke: That drive will work, but a hybrid SSD in a PS3 is a bit overkill given that system's ability to process data. I think performance gains would be much less noticeable than on a modern multi-core CPU PC.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: That drive will work, but a hybrid SSD in a PS3 is a bit overkill given that system's ability to process data. I think performance gains would be much less noticeable than on a modern multi-core CPU PC.

guessing you meant to say ps4.

i figured, i will upgrade this drive eventually to 1tb, might as well try a sshd. the seconds itill shave off loading are a nice bonus.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a bit of a demo the otherday on Gamespot with their PS4, one of the guys switched it out for an SSD and it did load some(not all) games considerably faster. So it definitely does make a difference. Biggest thing with SSD's, is you're paying a damn fortune for a decent sized one, above 500GB at least to what you would want.

So I'd say either stick to a faster 7200rpm maybe normal HD or get a SSD hybrid which sometimes can be a bit cheaper, though they aren't quite as good as normal, they get the job done better than factory by far.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@ruthloose said:

guessing you meant to say ps4.

i figured, i will upgrade this drive eventually to 1tb, might as well try a sshd. the seconds itill shave off loading are a nice bonus.

Ah. I didn't understand your original question as it pertains to the PS4. Yeah, that will definitely help going forward, but I would wait to see if the 1.5 or 2 TB drives comes down in price over the next six-nine months.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.