Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Sony Store Crashes due to Limted Edition PS4

• 59 results
    AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Figured I might make a thread for people to vent and or talk about how Sony could not even be prepared for pre ordering this console they knew everyone would want.

How far did you get in ordering? Did you manage to check out? I got to the address screen and submitted, then it broke. When will Sony ever learn?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was thinking about ordering one and then found out they don't ship to Canada so I avoided the entire process. Yay.

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one. Took about 30 minutes total, I think, and I ended up having to forgo SONY REWARDS POINTS (which they can't stop e-mailing me about) to check out via Paypal.

Was it worth it? I have no earthly idea.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

I was thinking about ordering one and then found out they don't ship to Canada so I avoided the entire process. Yay.

Smart man. They have to make good on this somehow? Just so unacceptable.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ateatree said:

I got one. Took about 30 minutes total, I think, and I ended up having to forgo SONY REWARDS POINTS (which they can't stop e-mailing me about) to check out via Paypal.

Within 30 seconds from them posting the link I had added to my cart and clicked checked out. I submitted my email and address info and that is exactly when the servers crashed. Now I am refreshing the page and still nothing

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Each step in the process took several minutes to get through, and more than a few tries. The getting it added to the cart was probably the easiest part, really. Paypal and afterwards was where it broke down horribly.

I wonder how many they've "pre-sold" so far via the web, though. Probably far too many, but we'll see.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was F5-ing twitter like madman; I managed to get one in my cart within probably 15 seconds of the link becoming available-- but I still had to refresh the various cart/checkout/confirmation screens for about 20 minutes trying to get it to go through.

I was starting to worry it wasn't going to work... but it finally did!

I'm feeling pretty happy about it.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Yeah I don't know. On one hand, like, c'mon....they MUST have known what demand would be like.

On the other hand server infrastructure is hard, and I dunno that they really CARE that the servers are overloaded, since at the end of the day they'll all end up getting sold; it wouldn't necessarily behoove them to wind up enough servers to service this, like, 12 hour spike in demand, even if it'd make the process more pleasant for those of us who wanted one.

Either way, kinda shitty for the user. This was gonna be my excuse to buy a PS4 (probably would've / will wait until Bloodborne if I can't get an order through), but I'm also not the least bit suprirsed the servers buckled, even if it happened a bit quicker than I anticipated (I hit checkout wih

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is... you can still add them to your cart and try to check out. I think they somehow didn't add inventory into/onto their system, and are retroactively going to have to cancel a lot of orders.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ateatree said:

@angrighandi said:

The thing is... you can still add them to your cart and try to check out. I think they somehow didn't add inventory into/onto their system, and are retroactively going to have to cancel a lot of orders.

Exactly. How are they going to decide who is who? This is a much bigger fuck up then I think people might realize.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

I have no idea how you get those in Europe.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkz said:

Yeah I don't know. On one hand, like, c'mon....they MUST have known what demand would be like.

On the other hand server infrastructure is hard, and I dunno that they really CARE that the servers are overloaded, since at the end of the day they'll all end up getting sold; it wouldn't necessarily behoove them to wind up enough servers to service this, like, 12 hour spike in demand, even if it'd make the process more pleasant for those of us who wanted one.

Either way, kinda shitty for the user. This was gonna be my excuse to buy a PS4 (probably would've / will wait until Bloodborne if I can't get an order through), but I'm also not the least bit suprirsed the servers buckled, even if it happened a bit quicker than I anticipated (I hit checkout wih

Sony is a multi billion dollar company. They have been hacked multiple times and kept passwords in a folder named "passwords" 0 excuses for anything. They should have the best people and clearly do not

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only kinda wanted one. The fact that they're so hard to check out with is making me feverishly reload

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only kinda wanted one. The fact that they're so hard to check out with is making me feverishly reload

Well right now they are selling for over 10 grand on ebay.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sargon

@ateatree said:

@angrighandi said:

Maybe I can make a big fuss when they cancel my order and they'll give me a big discount on a standard PS4.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargon said:

@ateatree said:

@angrighandi said:

Maybe I can make a big fuss when they cancel my order and they'll give me a big discount on a standard PS4.

I think the only way to make good is to offer non numbered editions of this system.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@athleticshark:

Haha nooono don't get me wrong I'm not defending them; I think it's a pretty clear indicator that they weren't worried about customer experience before setting this up.

My point was just that it's difficulty as a COMPANY (not as a human being with empathy and concern for others) to justify spending money to spin up servers to make the experience better for their customers when they know that they'll sell through their allotment regardless (because people want rare shit). It's a shitty, corporate move: I'm just not surprised by it, that's all.

Trust me I'm pretty bummed that I'm not getting one in all likelihood. I very much wanted one and I camped on twitter / clicked the link within seconds of it going up. I just did all that with the knowledge that this was prooooobably how it was gonna go: terribly.

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkz said:

@athleticshark:

Haha nooono don't get me wrong I'm not defending them; I think it's a pretty clear indicator that they weren't worried about customer experience before setting this up.

My point was just that it's difficulty as a COMPANY (not as a human being with empathy and concern for others) to justify spending money to spin up servers to make the experience better for their customers when they know that they'll sell through their allotment regardless (because people want rare shit). It's a shitty, corporate move: I'm just not surprised by it, that's all.

Trust me I'm pretty bummed that I'm not getting one in all likelihood. I very much wanted one and I camped on twitter / clicked the link within seconds of it going up. I just did all that with the knowledge that this was prooooobably how it was gonna go: terribly.

The sad thing to me is they could have done a way better solution. Such as the first people clicking on the link get a voucher code. That would have alleviated traffic.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@athleticshark: They're listed for over 10k on ebay.

With ACTUAL bids. Over 150 people bidding on one right now that is over 15k

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@snail said:

You don't.

@ateatree said:

Well worst case scenario is you flog it and quadruple your money. I think you'll be fine.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I've been stuck at submitting my order for about an hour.

logan528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I managed to snag one as well. Took about 45 minutes all together. Also it looks like you can no longer add them to cart so well see what happens.

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dream is dead

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm so pissed. I tried for hours to get it and then it tells me they're all out when I finally get to the last screen. Total BS.

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@snail said:

You don't.

Yes, we do. They are gonna do it later.

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be worse. I got to the final screen on my first try. Two hours later I'm just as empty handed as you

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This was kind of the worst way they could have handled this. I think it resulted in more bad feelings than good ones, with so many people that got left in the cold. Raffles, contests, almost anything would have been better than a free for all over the internet.

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

It looks like I was able to grab one. I got a confirmation in my email from both Paypal and Sony even though the confirmation page on the site only half loaded. Let's see if it gets canceled or not.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I spent 2 hours refreshing my cart, trying to get checked out. I even tried using PayPal. Got to the confirmation screen about a half dozen times. Had it removed from my cart and told that they were no longer taking orders. I'm probably taking this harder than I should, but I am extremely bummed out right now.

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else try to get into the MGSO2 beta prior to MGS4? Same vibes here.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Junkboy

I have one confirm email from Paypal but not from Sony, tried to call into support but their entire system is basically on a 28.8k modem and it's stuttering like crazy so neither side can hear. Worst thing was this "foreign" lady was trying to blame it on my connection, which is funny because I was on three way and my buddies voice was perfectly clear to me as was mine to him....... :/

Sony not sending me a confrim email is worrysome, got my paypal @ 3:18 pst though so I'm hoping for the best.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it was removed from my cart and I lost it. What shit

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took screenshots of my address and everything showing I had one so I am gonna call support and see if I can at least get some credit or something

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamantypants said:

@athleticshark: They're listed for over 10k on ebay.

With ACTUAL bids. Over 150 people bidding on one right now that is over 15k

This just makes me sad. I wish there was a way for things like this be guaranteed to people who aren't looking to take advantage.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By mike

I got one and will be promptly reselling it as soon as it shows up for an obscene profit, funding all game purchases for the next year or two and possibly another GPU upgrade as well. Sucks for people that didn't get one, but hey, capitalism.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: It is not that it "sucks" it is that Sony dropped the ball again. I had one but site crashed and by the time i refreshed enough it was gone. They need to be held accountable. I would not be surprised if enough people complain something happens or people's orders start getting canceled. With how fucked their website was I have a feeling more then the allotted 12k units were sold.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony support just told me I don't have an order even though paypal generated a Sony order and has the pending charge from Sony. And I actually wanted it for keeps and not to flip. Where's Shu and Adam Boyes when you need a hug. ;( Stayed up 11 hours past normal bed time too. Hopefully they have a second round of pre orders.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mike

...They need to be held accountable

Accountable how? Do you think Sony should give people some kind of compensation? Really?

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By VannaDwight
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dwigtk: Sweet. Will totally jump on that.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I think I am going to try to as well.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Once again. A multibillion dollar company has been hacked multiple times, keeps passwords in a folder titles passwords, and can't even handle a server load for a console. Apparently they do not get it and people have a right to be upset. This whole situation could have been prevented

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0 said:

Sony support just told me I don't have an order even though paypal generated a Sony order and has the pending charge from Sony. And I actually wanted it for keeps and not to flip. Where's Shu and Adam Boyes when you need a hug. ;( Stayed up 11 hours past normal bed time too. Hopefully they have a second round of pre orders.

I talked to them as well. The guy told me it was a known issue and to just keep watching twitter. I also asked if people who had actual confirmations might be in danger of cancellations. He confirmed saying even if people got confirmations and charged, the system was overloaded and possible sold more units then available. So even if you got one, you might not be getting it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine got deleted when I tried to checkout via PayPal.

Really not happy about it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mike

@athleticshark said:

@mb: Once again. A multibillion dollar company has been hacked multiple times, keeps passwords in a folder titles passwords, and can't even handle a server load for a console. Apparently they do not get it and people have a right to be upset. This whole situation could have been prevented

I understand the situation, but I asked if you thought Sony owes you something. You said that they should be held accountable...how? By apologizing? Giving people stuff?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: An apology would be nice.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By regularassmilk

I put a lot of stock in Jeff's totally off-the-cuff speculation about it being $299 per the original PS1 release, and then was mega bummed out when it retailed for $500, which is probably totally warranted. I can sorta take or leave the console itself, but I am fucking DYING for that controller. It's so handsome looking!

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb:
    Acknowledgement would be nice. I feel it did get stolen from me, but I know nothing is gonna happen. They won't make more.

@regularassmilk: Agreed. When they filmed that video it was already announced at 500. Weird that they did not know that at the time.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont get the appeal for this at all. Its just a color people, and not a good one at that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.