Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

System Issue - Screen randomly going black and then back to the game

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ry_Ry

My PS4 is doing a thing I've never seen before. While playing a game my TV will go black for 1-2 seconds and then back to the game like nothing is wrong. This is a new development and I'm a little worried that my launch PS4 is telling me it's time to say goodbye.

Some notes:

- Launch PS4 with an upgraded hybrid 1TB hard drive

- Issue isn't resolved by changing HDMI cable or TV (1080 or 4k)

- Issue isn't resolved by using headphones instead of sound coming from the TV

- X1s, Switch, PC, Wii, PS3 & Chromecast do not have this issue on this HDMI port or cable.

- Edit: this doesn't happen at the system menu

Am I missing something obvious? I kind of don't want to pony up $$$ for a new PS4 slim or pro.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

How many games have you tried it on?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon:

Destiny 2, Uncharted 4, Diablo III, Journey, PT, Until Dawn & Battlefield 4.

A mix of digital and physical games.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

hmmm...have you tried the rebuilding database thing that never helps with anything?

I don't remember the PS4 needing to switch display setting like PS3 often did so not sure why it doesn't happen in the menu.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You sure this isn't something the TV is doing or a bad HDMI cable?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its usually an hdmi chord issue but you say you have tried multiple chords and tvs? If it was just 4k i would say check your hdmi options and signal settings.

Could be the actual hdmi port on your console.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

Could be worth trying to look at the specifications of all your HDMI cables. There have been several iterations of that over the years, and many stores still sell outdated varieties that are only rated for 720p or 1080p 30-50 hz and stuff like that.

I've had one cable that cut out just like that whenever a game was outputting 1080p 60hz, but would work fine at 720p 60hz or 1080p 50hz.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Does the audio cut out as well or just video?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ry_Ry

Things I've done since last night:
    - rebuilt database (the problem still exists after)
    - backed up PS4 & restored system.

While the system worked fine for an hour last night, within two hours this morning the PS4 was back on its bullshit.

@dgtlty - Both audio and video drop out. If I'm using a headset (PS Gold or earbuds in the controller) the sound stays.

@fisk0 - Only the switch is using a non-4K certified cable, that one came with the switch and I've no idea what it's rated.

@oursin_360 - I'm not sure how to test the HDMI port on a console, is there a way to test those like I can with ethernet?

@retrometal - I've changed TVs and cables and it persists.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: i really dont know, only other thing is to check the system resolution settings and whether the color stuff is set to limited or full range etc.

Could be the hdr settings if those are on or off. If all cables are rated for hdmi2.0 and work on other content(especially 4k or hdr stuff) then its something with the ps4.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The fact that the sound stays in your earbuds and not from the TV, it sounds like the issue is on your console's HDMI interface. I'm assuming you're running a direct connection between the TV and PS4 (no receiver in between). Try wiggling the cable at that end and see if the problem appears.

Perhaps you could return it and exchange for a new one?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ry_Ry

So I traded in the PS4 at GameStop. They gave me $220 for it. I've got a new PS4 and it works just fine. Same HDMI cable. Same port. Must have been my launch PS4 :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.