Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Three reasons I'm buying a PS4.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Edited By DarthOrange

1. First-Party Studios

Naughty Dog. Sucker Punch. Bend. Guerrilla. Cambridge. Polyphony. Japan. London. San Diego. Media Molecule. Evolution. Santa Monica. Sony has the most diverse 1st party studios in the industry right now, and these are studios that are not afraid to try new things. The multiplayer modes in God of War: Ascension and The Last of Us were things that other studios would just never try because they would obviously never have mass appeal but are still fun and unique. I would hate to have to miss what these guys cook up next.

2. Passion

Adam Boyes. Seth Killian. Shuhei Yoshida. Mark Cerny. These are guys that ooze passion, and are all working exclusively at Sony. There are other guys at Sony too, but these guys really stick out to me the most as people that genuinely enjoy videogames. Nintendo has some duders that seem genuinely passionate as well, but Microsoft? I haven't seen it.

3. Jack Tretton

He's a boss.

Image by @face15
    Image by @face15
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Whenever I hear things like "Xbox has more exclusives!!" I just look at my copy of The Last of Us and think... yeah, sure. For now.

Anyway, I guess I think you're preaching to the choir here :)

ED: Oh, and I don't think it's appropriate to say someone looks like a serial murderer. Though he is pretty angry looking, he seems like a nice enough guy.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

ED: Oh, and I don't think it's appropriate to say someone looks like a serial murderer. Though he is pretty angry looking, he seems like a nice enough guy.

I said it in jest (of course I don't think he looks like a murderer!) but I guess the mods agreed with you because the sentence has been removed.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Whenever I hear things like "Xbox has more exclusives!!" I just look at my copy of The Last of Us and think... yeah, sure. For now.

And ain't that the fucking truth! I swear, XBLA has been quite good over the years, but MS retail exclusives have been shit for years. Halo, Gears, Forza. They've had the Rare license for how many years, and NOW they're making a new Killer Instinct?

Then again, I say this as someone who never owned a PS3, so a small part of this might be "the grass is always greener."

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Well those are some odd reasons. I'm buying it because it supports self publishing for indies and because it's cheaper than the One.

Also Jack Tretton reminds me of a teddy bear.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all this PS4 love i find myself wanting to get one, but i can't find a reason to want it. I've never cared for any PS game except for persona. WHO KNOWS, 5 months to see the actual games in action instead of trailers. I need some direct feed 1080p 60FPS videos of these games.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@spaceinsomniac said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

And ain't that the fucking truth! I swear, XBLA has been quite good over the years, but MS retail exclusives have been shit for years. Halo, Gears, Forza. They've had the Rare license for how many years, and NOW they're making a new Killer Instinct?

Then again, I say this as someone who never owned a PS3, so a small part of this might be "the grass is always greener."

Haha, nope, I can assure you the grass is pretty green here in fact rather than just in comparison :)

I really hope they port some games like inFamous 1/2 and TLoU to PS4 as cheaper, Remastered versions for new PS owners to experience them. Seeing them in 1080p@60fps would be fucking glorious - and way better than anything GaiKai could deliver. Fuck, I don't even care if they do it this year. I wouldn't mind buying TLoU again (in fact, I think I'm going to buy a retail version when the price goes down to have the box on my shelf - owning the digital version doesn't seem like enough).

But yes - I don't have much of a problem with the forza/gears/halo cycle, except that they didn't seem to be livening it up with anything new until now (with quantum break and whatever that black tusk game is). Sony seems to dig pretty deep into new IP, which makes me so happy.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2/3 of those reasons are pretty strange reasons to get a console, but to each his own I guess. And yes, PS does have the most diverse first party publishers. That's why I'm waiting until they have a ton released and buying a PS4 for exclusives, using the X1 for both its exclusives and multiplats.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who is also getting a PS4, we should all stop trying to justify why we're getting a certain console; Xbox One or PS4. If you want it then that's enough justification to purchase it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who is also getting a PS4, we should all stop trying to justify why we're getting a certain console; Xbox One or PS4. If you want it then that's enough justification to purchase it.

Hear hear. These threads are pretty useless. Both consoles have great reasons to buy them (although some of the reasons listed here are strange...) but yeah. No need for these threads really.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bingo.
    I'm buying a PS4 because, hey, I like video games!

It's that simple

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

1. Self publishing

2. Self publishing

3. Self publishing

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lexus2jz

Good for you?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because Jack Tretton's a boss? :D

good one

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I love this persona of Jack Tretton that has developed over the years. Any time he talks he always seems super laid back, but you just know there's something lying beneath... He has the eyes of a killer!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@darthorange: gotta tell you

two of your three reasons are pretty weak imo.

passion and the public (and probably fake) persona of an exec are maybe good reasons to work for a company, but they shouldn't aren't good reasons to buy a product. Both are very ephemeral, may just be good PR.

reason#1 Though, is a fantastic reason.

For me the reasons I'll likely buy a PS4 are

1. Japanese games exclusives like Deep Down that are unlikely to ever port to PC
    2. Potential Superior Graphics tech
    3. Lower Hardware Price
    4. Dualshock 4 controller
    5. Larger World-wide install base
    6. PSN+ value add service
    7. Gaikai streaming of old games
    8. PS 1st party games
    9. Company policies and culture that are pro-consumer (or at least moreso than option B)
    10. No mandatory Kinect
    11. Vita x-play
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarthOrange

@slag said:

passion and the public (and probably fake) persona of an exec are maybe good reasons to work for a company, but they shouldn't aren't good reasons to buy a product. Both are very ephemeral, may just be good PR.

Yea there was a joke in reason #2 about Dan Greenawalt looking like a murderer but the mods didn't seem to like it. And are you really calling into question the authenticity of Jack Tretton?

Jack Tretton from Sony Drops the Mic

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#18  Edited By Slag

@darthorange: oh wow, yeah they must have taken it out.

Jack Tretton is the real deal Holyfield . (that gif was sick!)

But he's just a dude and could easily leave/retire etc. Not to mention he doesn't make games himself. :)

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Bingo.

It's that simple

Lies and slander. You're buying it because of self publishing and Sony had their shit straight from the beginning! Now go make a thread telling me about why you're buying the PS4.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp said:

@zeforgotten said:

Bingo.

It's that simple

Lies and slander. You're buying it because of self publishing and Sony had their shit straight from the beginning! Now go make a thread telling me about why you're buying the PS4.

I wish I cared about self publishing, but since I'm not gonna publish my games on the PS4, I really don't.
    All about the games, so PS4, new xbox whatever-people-are-calling-it-today and new PC upgrades like every 9 months.

Mr_Burnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, I guess I think you're preaching to the choir here :)

Agreed.

I'm buying it solely for H Hour: Worlds Elite, which is exclusive to the PS4. It's in the Kickstarter now, but when it takes off, I'm pretty sure it's gonna beat every Multiplayer shooter out there.
    www.sofstudios.com if anyone wants to check it out.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By Sergio

@lord_xp said:

@zeforgotten said:

Bingo.

It's that simple

I wish I cared about self publishing, but since I'm not gonna publish my games on the PS4, I really don't.

All about the games, so PS4, new xbox whatever-people-are-calling-it-today and new PC upgrades like every 9 months.

The self publishing may lead to more games from indies on the system, which was a factor for me. If the rumors are true about Microsoft relenting on this sticking point, then they may be more competitive for me in a year.

Either way, I'll most likely eventually get an Xbox One once they have a lot of exclusives that I like to justify the purchase.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is why one should never underestimate the power of marketing.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

@mr_burnt said:

Agreed.

I'm buying it solely for H Hour: Worlds Elite, which is exclusive to the PS4. It's in the Kickstarter now, but when it takes off, I'm pretty sure it's gonna beat every Multiplayer shooter out there.

Is......is this spam? If not then welcome to Giant Bomb, I am honored that you chose to make your first comment on my ridiculous blog post that some people have taken too seriously.

Also that game you linked to actually has me interested. Is it a bunch of ex-Zipper guys or is it just David with a new team? It doesn't look like the game is going to make it though :/

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mr_burnt: Where do you see that its exclusive to ps4? PC is priority, and then it says PS4 and XBONE version possible further down the goal list.

Mr_Burnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_burnt said:

Agreed.

Is......is this spam? If not then welcome to Giant Bomb, I am honored that you chose to make your first comment on my ridiculous blog post that some people have taken too seriously.

Also that game you linked to actually has me interested. Is it a bunch of ex-Zipper guys or is it just David with a new team? It doesn't look like the game is going to make it though :/

Haha thanks, and no it isn't spam. Just checking through these forums to see what peaks my interest.

And the team hasn't been revealed yet, but from following the KS RELIGIOUSLY I gathered that the team is very well seasoned, and that he met them along the road proceeding SOCOM. Don't hold me to that though ;)

@esrever:
    You're right, it was silly of me to call it an exclusive. However, I do know that the focus of the game is towards the PS4, since their target for the KS is the SOCOM gamers from back in the day. The SOCOM community is very passionate about the dead (or dying, if that's too harsh) franchise, and David Sears has made it clear he wants to "give them a new warm blanket" (the silly metaphor comes from his mouth, not mine)

Sorry to go off topic, but regardless, It's definitely something I've been very involved in, and have my eyes set on the PS4 mainly because of what this indie game studio is offering.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mr_burnt: Yea, I can understand that mentality. SOCOM II is a game I hold very close to my heart. From what I've seen of H-Hour, I'm pretty hyped for it.

Mr_Burnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@esrever said:

@mr_burnt: Yea, I can understand that mentality. SOCOM II is a game I hold very close to my heart. From what I've seen of H-Hour, I'm pretty hyped for it.

Well don't get too hyped! Still needs 200k haha

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

reason#1 Though, is a fantastic reason.

For me the reasons I'll likely buy a PS4 are

1. Japanese games exclusives like Deep Down that are unlikely to ever port to PC
    2. Potential Superior Graphics tech
    3. Lower Hardware Price
    4. Dualshock 4 controller
    5. Larger World-wide install base
    6. PSN+ value add service
    7. Gaikai streaming of old games
    8. PS 1st party games
    9. Company policies and culture that are pro-consumer (or at least moreso than option B)
    10. No mandatory Kinect
    11. Vita x-play

Same here. And then I'm going to buy a Xbone, 'cause I wanna play them all!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These seem like silly reasons. At the moment, mine are:

• Knack
    • Killzone: Shadow Fall
    • InFamous: Second Son
    • The Order: 1886

To me, it's all about the games.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

These seem like silly reasons. At the moment, mine are:

• Knack
    • Killzone: Shadow Fall
    • InFamous: Second Son
    • The Order: 1886

To me, it's all about the games.

Knack eh? I want to like that game, but I haven't seen enough to think anything special of it yet. Any particular reason why its got your interest?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.