Have PSN Download Speeds Improved for You?

Edited 5 years, 4 months ago

Poll: Have PSN Download Speeds Improved for You? (52 votes)

Yes. Better than before. Still below average download speeds though. 23%
Yes. Much better than before. It downloads as fast as anything does on my connection. 40%
No. It's as bad as it always was. 13%
No. Believe it or not - it's gotten worse for me. 4%
I'm not using PSN. Show results. 19%

Currently downloading Battlefield 4, which will unlock for us Europeans at midnight tonight. It's a 12 GB download and it'll be downloaded in 30 minutes - pretty much capping out my bandwidth. In recent years and months, PSN download speeds have vastly improved for me - they're finally as fast as I expect them to be. On a sidenote, I am a PS+ subscriber - don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Anyways - have PSN download speeds improved for you as well?

#1 Edited by Nodima (2574 posts) -

Yes, over the past year I've noticed steady improvements. I recently re-downloaded Arkham City to mess around in the challenge rooms after getting the itch from the Arkham Origins Quick Look and the download was done in about 2 hours. The Last of Us did not take very long either, at least for a file of that size. Maybe two and a half hours/three-some hours, which doesn't bother me as much as it would some. Seems reasonable for the file size.

edit: I'm on a 20mb down connection with a speed boost up to 25 for large files, by the way. But I usually get speed tests in the 15-18 range.

#2 Edited by Nekroskop (2830 posts) -

O -I've never had any problems with PSN download speeds.

It doesn't run at my full connection speed though.(12.5MB/s)

I think PSN download speeds is capped around 5MB/s.

#3 Posted by subject2change (2971 posts) -

I've never had huge issues. Previously was on a 100/35 connection and now am on a 50/5 connection (Time Warner will be boosting it soon to 100/5 though.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#4 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

Hell no, my internet is terrible but at least on XBL, the downloads are a fraction the size. I'm not bashing PSN as Plus has BEYOND amazing sales but christ, I wish I had better internet :(

#5 Posted by ikilledthedj (450 posts) -

Never had issues really but only in the past 12 months have i started downloading anything in the gigs so its been hard to tell until now.

Last of us did take about 9 hours but just to get to the point you can start playing

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (5874 posts) -

Mine was never actually slow.

#7 Posted by pr1mus (4158 posts) -

It's always been fast over here.

#8 Posted by churrific (499 posts) -

Yeah it's always been fast for me as well.

#9 Posted by emfromthesea (2262 posts) -

It's been faster for the past 6 months or so, but that's when we changed to a better router. I can't really tell if anything is on PSN's part.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
#10 Posted by awesomeusername (4631 posts) -

Yeah. I remember when the Instant Game Collection got announced and I put Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One to download. It took a very long time and it's 14 GB. I downloaded Kingdoms of Amalur which is 13.4 GB a couple days ago and it took a fraction of the time compared to R&C which was June 2012.

#11 Posted by Barrock (4106 posts) -

I did the Proxy trick and my speeds are great. I downloaded like 7 full Vita games the other night quite quickly.

#12 Posted by riostarwind (1355 posts) -

Sure after the first year or so the speed on PSN improved quite a bit. It's much closer to what my speed should be than when it first started.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.