Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

I Reckon The PSP Go "Leak" Was Intentionally

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

I should be revising for an exam. Instead I'm sitting thinking about the PSP Go and this supposed "leak". I've decided the "leak" wasn't a "leak" at all, but was intended. And if not intentional, then by no means detrimental. Care for my logic.

The news of the PSP Go broke around mid-afternoon UK time or early morningish (I think?) in the US on Saturday. The weekend before E3, where anticipation is high, but news is scarce. Everyone's trying to prevent their news breaking right? So these PSP images pop up and are discussed right through the entirety of Saturday.

Here were competing news articles (via Kotaku) this Saturday:

• Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell 20 second leak.
    • Something about a mobile phone game.
    • Something about Wolfenstein.
    • A $400 Metal Gear coat.
    • Some stupid consumer "study".
    • A report detailing a new Mario game/new Wii Fit.

Ok, there's your Saturday news in a nutshell. Basically, the only mildly "big" thing were the 20-second Ubisoft leaks. Other than that - NOTHING. Now Kotaku had four articles on the PSP Go:

• Size comparison - 65,225 views.
    • Official pictures - 59,437 views.
    • PS3 Slim box comparison - 24,845 views.
    • Initial leak article - 57,910 views.

Between them that's over 207,417 views from Kotaku alone, not to mention articles on the front-pages (and sticking to the front page due to a lack of other news) on GiantBomb (over 200 responses I believe), GameSpot, IGN, etc. The NeoGaf thread is still on the front page of threads with 255,099 views and 3,011 responses.

Ok, so the point I guess I'm getting to is: a) I don't want to revise and; b) intentional or not this "leak" can only have done Sony good. Everyone has seen their product, talked about it, read about it, and it's still all over all the big sites homepages.

Imagine if it got announced on Tuesday an hour after a new Zelda trailer or something. Yes, the news would still be getting discussed but, hey, would be getting quite the same attention?

Ahh marketing. How I love thee. Anyway, depending on price I'm definitely buying a PSP Go if it meets the following criteria: a) not too expensive; b) PLAYABLE OUTSIDE.

That's all. I have to revise now.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Maybe it was a joke, and they are really releasing the PSP2 which has 2 analog sticks?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

Good grief I want to shoot myself for not fixing the title before submitting. Now I will forever look like a tool. :(

I wish we could edit titles aswell as posts.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Otacon

I think it's very possible that the leak was intentional, I suppose we will find out at Sony's press conference. If the PSPgo is featured significantly as the big reveal then perhaps the leak wasn't intentional, but if it is featured along with more strong announcements then it there's a good chance the leak was intentional. I'm also planning on buying one if it is playable outside.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus
    TheMustacheHero said:
    Maybe it was a joke, and they are really releasing the PSP2 which has 2 analog sticks?
    God, I would LOVE for that to be true!
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Insectecutor

"as well" is two words. Tool.

I suppose the leak could be tactical, but I'm more inclined to believe it's simply incompetence, unless Sony are aware of something truly ground breaking to be announced by one of their competitors and wish to grab some early mind-share.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust
    get2sammyb said:
    Good grief I want to shoot myself for not fixing the title before submitting. Now I will forever look like ... [more]

It happens... Take it easy. If somebody thought you as a "tool", after reading you op they will change their minds...

I thought it too...

I've read that many of the spoilers that appear in the media of different products are really provoked by the companies to gain consumer attention.

A lovely marketing strategy to manipulate consumers.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By SenatorSpacer

I hope it was, because that means Sony cares enough about me to tell me to avoid their stupid looking PSP without a second analog nub in advance so when they bring it up at their E3 Press Conference I can just sigh and walk away from the TV.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Phaseshift

I agree with the grammar nazi

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Insectecutor

I don't see how unleashing it now is any different from a big splash at E3 when everyone's watching. Leaks make Sony look bad, as if it doesn't have its shop in order, as if it isn't in control of the situation.

The fact that the product also looks like a fast food restaurant tray doesn't help, and as far as I can see the reaction to it has been mostly "it's ugly" and "no second analog nub?!"

@Phaseshift: I was only poking fun at his paranoia that people would think him a tool for fucking up his thread title.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I'm betting you're right, just because I think that if you wait for all your announcements to come out during E3, you might lose some potential folks who will drown in information.  Announce things early, even make it look like a leak, and you'll get press while everyone else is still setting up their booths.

Makes me wonder if in the future these conferences might move toward more in-house ones, with Sony having its own conference where they can control everything better and diversify their presentation a bit. 

Also makes me wonder how much companies tend to lose during E3 in promotions costs, and if the benefit outweighs the loss, usually.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Insectecutor

@ahoodedfigure: Yeah but you also risk people forgetting about your stupid pre-E3 leak after everyone's swamped in awesome from your competitors, and also E3 is an announcement to the mainstream - the people who will actually buy it. The leak has much less reach than E3 will.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    Insectecutor said:
    I don't see how unleashing it now is any different from a big splash at E3 when everyone's watching. Leaks ... [more]
    Yes they look "bad" but they happen all the time to practically every company. The difference between now and E3 is; imagine Tuesday Nintendo announce a new Zelda, Pikmin, Wii Fit and Super Mario (hypothetical but all could happen right) and Sony also plan to announce the Team Ico product next to the PSP. Sure, the PSP Go is STILL big enough news to get discussed -- but does it dominate the news like it has this weekend? Hell no, new Wii Fit and Zelda trailer dominate both mainstream press and gaming press. PSP Go still gets mentioned, but isn't at the forefront of any media outlet - let alone TWO DAYS (where there have been NO other competing news) on the forefront of every media outlet.

The way it looks is regardless to what I'm talking about here.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By chililili
    get2sammyb said:
    Insectecutor said: I don't see how unleashing it now is any different from a big splash at E3 when everyone's ... [more]
    I think that the quality of the pictures is far too bad to be a company sponsored "leak" I mean look at how good the assassin creed stuff looked! But I still can't get over the fact they didn't add a damn second analog stick.
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Insectecutor
    Well, I'll be watching Sony's press conference with interest to see how they tackle this one. The presentations given at E3 are meant to have weight, they're choreographed to give a great first impression so the assembled media can go back to their hotel rooms and write up a favourable article about what Sony's offering. I think this leak has tarnished that. It will be difficult to make their presentation now - either they admit it was leaked which makes them look foolish, or they say it was deliberate which makes them look crooked, or they ignore it completely which makes it awkward and embarrassing.

I'm not sure that getting a bit of press coverage on a Saturday (which, I should point out, is normally a slow news day anyway) is going to give them the head start you're suggesting. I think that it will be very quickly washed away by the tidal wave of other E3 announcements, and it will diminish the impact of their reveal to the press at the biggest gaming media event of the year.

Edit: But hey, by next weekend none of this will matter, and that's perhaps my point.

chililili said:
    get2sammyb said: Insectecutor said: I don't see how unleashing it now is any different from a big splash at E3 ... [more]

Wasn't it leaked onto Qore, Sony's own service? That at least would add some weight to get2sammyb's theory. I'm not dismissing the possibility that it could have been an 'official' leak out of hand, I'm just saying that if that's the case it looks like a stupid move and one I doubt Sony would willingly make.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Jeust

in a bit of a offtopic is like the infamous release... 

If it would be released "after" prototype is wouldn't have nearly the appeal and praise it has now, it would get a harder time... I think.

And i'm very impressed with infamous.

it's a question of timing... to know how to manipulate information.

A lesson from Bill Gates himself...

"How you gather, manage and use information will determine wether you win or loose."

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jayge_

I think it may have been intentional, but not company-wide intentional. A smaller group of people (probably higher-up) probably had it leak "accidentally" with the company at large mostly not knowing of the leak, to simulate a real link. That's what I would do if I were Sony. Either way, in the video, Belmont refers to E3 as though it had already passed, which was strange considering they were pretending to look at the Go! and hear about MGS/J&D/GT:P before the conference or something. Not exactly coherent in its presentation, some flaws, I think it's plausible.

RealEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RealEddie

Don´t forget. The "leak" came from one of Sonys own news channels.
    Qore is payd for by Sony and only distributed through PSN.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai

Duh!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.