Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Need some help with the vita.

AronO1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am thinking about buying the playstation vita and am a little concerned about the cost of memory. If i buy a game cartridge (not downloaded from Sony Entertainment Network), does it take away memory?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you get the new Vita, they have an internal chip that can be used for saved games. You won't need anything else if you plan on buying game cards. However anything from the PS store you'll need a separate card for, and Sony is overpricing them like mad.

You might be able to fit a few small PSN games on the internal card but I'm not sure as I own the original Vita.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought my Vita memory card from Amazon.ca (I am in Canada). Waited for it to go on sale and free shipping made the pill a bit easier to swallow.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By rorie

@dwigtk said:

I bought my Vita memory card from Amazon.ca (I am in Canada). Waited for it to go on sale and free shipping made the pill a bit easier to swallow.

I did the exact same thing. Watch the item on Amazon and periodically you'll get one relatively cheap. I think I got a 16 gig card for something like 25 bucks.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Save data is stored on the memory card, but for most games the saves are not that big- a cheap 4-gig would more than do the trick. I just checked mine and for the 20+ games I have it looks like my saves are taking up almost 2 MB.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By officer_falcon

@dwigtk said:

That's what I did too. Got my 16GB at a relatively reasonable price. Although since my Vita has basically become my JRPG machine I eventually bit the bullet and went with a 64GB one.

But to get back to the main question, no you don't need to get a new memory card. The included one will be fine for just save files.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@officer_falcon: Mine is a JRPG machine and a "Huh, what's free on PS+ this month?" machine.

AronO1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok Thank you everyone who answered. Very helpful :)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9 fisk0  Moderator

Only for saves and patches, most cartridge games would use up very little of your memory card space, but there are a few exceptions, such as Killzone Mercenary which had a 2 GB patch. For most games we're probably talking something like 50-100 MB at most instead.

You need to have a memory card whatever you do, but you can do with a smaller memory card if you stick to cartridge based games.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went cheap and bought a 4 gig card at first and realized my mistake pretty quickly.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm not sure whether to use the 8GB card that comes with the Vita 2000 in the US, or sell the 8GB card and get a 16GB card instead. (will I even be able to get a decent price for the 8gb card?) I heard Borderlands 2 takes up over half of the the 8GB card.

I'm leaning toward sticking with the 8GB simply because that's the one you get in the bundle. Even if I want a 16GB later I might as well find out the hard way as this would be put me in solidarity with everyone else who got the bundle.

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got an 8gb used at GameStop for a fair price, realize though that most games on the store usually exceed 2gb so I would recommend getting the carts as buying those used as well is also way cheaper than what Sony is trying to sell the downloads for

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Get a 16GB card at the very least, and a year's subscription to PlayStation Plus as well. The Operating System of the Vita takes away 2GB on the card already and digital games can be anywhere as small as 300 MB to 1-3 GB's. If you are going mainly retail purchase, you'll be fine probably with a 8 GB card but the 16 GB recommendation still stands.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By egg
    @trafalgarlaw said:

The Operating System of the Vita takes away 2GB on the card already

edit: I am told the OS does not take up space on the card. In fact I'm pretty sure this is impossible since memory sticks were never actually required by the Vita when it launched. (save files were handled by the game cart, although some games were exceptions)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get yourself a memory card. Even with the 1GB built in memory of the new model, it's not worth not owning a memory card. PSN put on a lot of sales, and of games that you cant buy physical copies of for the Vita. Also all the PS+ games are download only so you'll need a memory card for them.

If you intend on hording all your games on one card, go big and get the 64gb. But if you think you'll just swap games in and out a 16gb card should do the trick to have a good few games going at once.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PSN games is where the Vita thrives. The retail stuff is quite limited. A 16GB card is well worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.