Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Anyone disappointed?

• 118 results
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By wrighteous86
    @BeachThunder said:

" This thread is disappointing :(

"
    Thank God you clarified, otherwise he might have had a heart attack.

@SeriouslyNow

said:

" @Icemael said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Icemael:  The "in my opinion" defense is worthless when you spend time telling people how the humour of one thing is better than another thing.  Humour is subjective and you were clearly speaking OBJECTIVELY. "

No I was not.

@SeriouslyNow

said:

" I write for a living professionally. "

Then you should feel embarrassed.

I can only imagine what conversations you've had.

"Was that shovel you bought good?"
    "No, it was useless."
    "My sister bought an identical shovel and she loved it, so you are wrong."
    "What?"
    "You didn't add 'in my opinion', so you were clearly speaking objectively!"
    "No I wasn't."
    "SHUT UP! I WRITE FOR A LIVING SO I AM RIGHT!"
    "
    I do write for a living professionally.  I am not the person who should be embarrassed.  Just because you flatly deny something, it doesn't make someone's critical analysis of the thing you said automatically wrong.  Your denial is as weak and as subjective as the opinion you tried pass off as an objective fact which I correctly criticised.  Your examples are broken and(/because) your logic is flawed.  I never said that your opinion was wrong, I said that you were trying to shape your opinion as if it was fact using a really awful analogy (admittedly built on someone else's crappy analogy) about the nature of good comedy and so by proxy saying that Portal 2's comedy was not good (and therefore by proxy again, justifying your objectification of the game itself as being not good).  Your initial position is weak because in all cases you have attempted to pass off your opinion as fact - nee the Simpsons 'when it was good' vs Portal comedy.  YES, you do need to state that something is your opinion when you shape your sentences the way you do because if you don't it clearly reads as if you're saying things OBJECTIVELY.  Subjectively, I think you're being an ass.  "
    Yeah, the fact that you write for a living doesn't really give your opinion much credence... especially since I write for a living too. I don't go so far as to assume that invalidates everyone else's opinions, however, like you seem to. Not only are you really reaching on this, everyone that's posted on the topic has understood implicitly that he was giving his opinion. You're the only one that seems to think that the intent was to portray an objective thought. You want everything spelled out for you and a good writer would know that that isn't necessary in every situation, e.g. metaphor, hyperbole, etc.

In grade school, were you ever forced to write a persuasive essay? Did your teachers tell you that you're supposed to state your side of the argument and present it as if it were the right choice? That's an example of giving an opinion without clearly stating it as such. The fact that it is an opinion is implied since it is a "persuasive essay". Just like when someone asks for your opinion and you give it, it is implied that your opinion is an opinion, and not a fact.

Even if you were "technically" correct (which you aren't, since context plays a role in analyzing all writing, and the context is clear in this case), you're approaching his video game forum post as if it were a thesis paper. What is the point of "critically analyzing" the grammar of someone's forum post aside from just being a dick? He wasn't using logic, he was giving his opinion. You can compare two things subjectively, which is exactly what he did with The Simpsons and the Portal series.

"How could anyone hate cake?"
    "Cake is too sugary, and pie is much more delicious. Oh, and frosting is disgusting."

Now, given the context, I think it's fairly clear that the response in this example is entirely subjective and was intended to portray an opinion that pie is superior to cake. I wouldn't assume that the responder was trying to trick me into thinking that factually cake is unworthy of a dessert-eater's love; but that's because I'm not a moron and I understand the way that human beings talk to one another. I wouldn't bust out a Writing Guide and tell them that they are liars for not phrasing their response to some exact guidelines, because clearly that is not a standard that is meant for colloquial use, and is intended for a more formal avenue of communication.

I'll admit though, you have a knack for ignoring any comments that you don't have an answer for and keep hammering points home that have already been addressed by people in the thread. Please, stop making yourself look bad, for all of our sakes.

PS Now that I've revealed myself as a writer, feel free to invalidate my opinion by pointing out any writing errors in my forum post, you know, because forum posts should be held to the same high standards as a college thesis. I'd relish the opportunity to point out ways that you've obfuscated your own point in the quoted post through poor writing.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#102  Edited By Icemael

What the guy above me said, except I would've said it more aggressively and mocked you.

bloodfarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By bloodfarts

I just finished the single player about an hour ago. I have yet to touch the co-op, but I already feel like i got my money's worth. Incredible voice acting, incredible animations, far out ending.  May well be my favorite game of all time (sorry Super Mario World).

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Yes, I'm disappointed somewhat - the puzzles are inconsistent, generally easy, and not all of the new elements are particularly clever or fun. Although the setting is brilliantly realised, and the presentation is of a high standard, I find the story somewhat underwhelming because it leans too much on the double-speak and black humour of the first game and beats it into the ground. Although it is occasionally funny, it too often fails to go beyond the the easy joke to actual thematic depth or social critique, which it touches on continually without actually delivering. Although the story isn't bad, it suffers from tonal inconsistency and shallowness.

In short, it's a very good game with unrealised potential both narratively and mechanically. Although it might seem churlish to complain about a game that excels in many areas, it could be much more than it is.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By canucks23

No. I love the feeling of figuring out a puzzle in the portal games, and this is exactly what i wanted out of a portal sequel... more puzzles. The one thing i will say i was disappointed with was that there's no "advanced" rooms that aren't tied to the single player. Hopefully they'll release some of those as dlc.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Wrighteous86:  While you're busily trying to score points in winning this argument (because I showed you up in the other thread where you spouted uttter crapfirst about MS winning this console round then when that was shown up for BS you then said they won the "gamer market" and Nintendo losing first due to the Wii and then quickly you changed that to Gamecube being the loser - wrong in every single case  - you chased me down here, not the other way around - your ego is quite clearly bruised) realise that there IS indeed context in this discussion between Icemael and I which you're conveniently ignoring.  He was asked what he didn't like about Portal and then proceeded to say (and I fucking quote):-

despite constantly trying to be funny they're less amusing together than a single episode of The Simpsons back when The Simpsons was good.

Now, I realise that that he didn't preface with 'in my opinion', but that contextual domino exists in light the question he's replying to.  He is quite clearly making an objective remark.  Now, maybe it's just because he's a huge egotist or maybe he's of the belief that it's only his opinion which matters but in either case the comment is not subjective and not only that it's also derisive.

And when someone calls him out on his subjective, derisive comparison he compounds his OBJECTIVE state of mind further:-

The jokes in The Simpsons and the jokes in Portal 2 are both for laughing at, but only the former are good for it.

This is not a person who views his comments subjectively.  He views them as if they are fact.

Now, both of you kindly crawl into your holes and fuck yourselves slowly and with love because you're getting no more attention from me either of you.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#107  Edited By Icemael
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " He is quite clearly making an objective remark. "
    It may seem that way to you, but not to a normal, reasonable person.

@SeriouslyNow said:
    " This is not a person who views his comments subjectively.  He views them as if they are fact. "
    No, I just trust people to realize that when we are talking about the quality of a video game, everyone is just stating opinions. Most people are capable of doing that, and the people who aren't -- well, why the fuck should I care about them? They shouldn't even participate in discussions in the first place, just as cripples should not participate in kick-boxing matches.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#108  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Hell f**king no. Portal 2 is one of the best games I've played this generation of consoles. 

smfE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By smfE

gameplay wise, nop not really? I felt it was a fine length, great experience and amazing puzzles, especially the last 5 i was struyggling in todays with atleast 15 min completeling each level. Fantastic voice acting and game quality, it ran beautifully without probs on my old 8800GT. Props to Valve for delivering another unique gaming experience to play through.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By Twisted_Scot

The writing / voice work alone is worth the $30.

kickinthehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 10

#111  Edited By kickinthehead

I don't look at the short length as a bad thing. The story and gameplay is fun enough that I'd want to revisit it for a marathon session. Kind of like how I replay Uncharted 2 every now and then because I enjoy the experience so much. Very different game genres, but the sentiment for me is similar.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By YoungFrey

Nope, amazing game and don't expect to see better this year.  It was a steal at $35. 
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113  Edited By wrighteous86
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Wrighteous86:  While you're busily trying to score points in winning this argument (because I showed you up in the other thread where you spouted uttter crapfirst about MS winning this console round then when that was shown up for BS you then said they won the "gamer market" and Nintendo losing first due to the Wii and then quickly you changed that to Gamecube being the loser - wrong in every single case  - you chased me down here, not the other way around - your ego is quite clearly bruised) realise that there IS indeed context in this discussion between Icemael and I which you're conveniently ignoring.  He was asked what he didn't like about Portal and then proceeded to say (and I fucking quote):-

despite constantly trying to be funny they're less amusing together than a single episode of The Simpsons back when The Simpsons was good.

Now, I realise that that he didn't preface with 'in my opinion', but that contextual domino exists in light the question he's replying to.  He is quite clearly making an objective remark.  Now, maybe it's just because he's a huge egotist or maybe he's of the belief that it's only his opinion which matters but in either case the comment is not subjective and not only that it's also derisive.

And when someone calls him out on his subjective, derisive comparison he compounds his OBJECTIVE state of mind further:-

The jokes in The Simpsons and the jokes in Portal 2 are both for laughing at, but only the former are good for it.

This is not a person who views his comments subjectively.  He views them as if they are fact.Now, both of you kindly crawl into your holes and fuck yourselves slowly and with love because you're getting no more attention from me either of you. "
    In that thread, it was clear I was talking about the gamer market (I said Nintendo would have trouble winning the gamer market because 360 already won that market, not the video game market, and I said Nintendo would fail again if they made another traditional console... like the Gamecube... most people realize that the Wii was not a traditional console). If you're truly a writer, it's fascinating that you're unable to ascertain context and subtext in other people's writing... but the fact that you can't even have a legitimate debate and instead ignore people's points and resort to name-calling make it clear that you're just a troll... My ego wasn't bruised. I just hate how on the internet you can debate someone, and when you win the argument, they just disappear and go to another thread to spout their inane statements, much like you did. No one ever concedes their point because that would be too mature.

Please tell us, what writing do you do professionally? I'd love to see your work. I want to know who would pay you to write. If you're getting work in this job market with your very skewed view on the English language and inability to prove a point without resorting to personal attacks and blatant ignorance, I know some high school students that could use a job.

Or are you just going to switch to another thread to misinterpret someone's post and bash their statements through some fallacy?
    InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By InternetCrab

Portal 2 is a fabulous game. I absolutely love it even though i haven't finished the game.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By MiniPato

Coming from someone who bought Mirror's Edge at the full 60$, I do not regret buying portal 2 for 34 dollars.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By Geno

Nope, this will be my GOTY unless Mass Effect 3 is even better. 

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By AnimalFather
    @JoeMarsden said:
    "To be honest, I don't really know why I bought Portal 2 immediately because I wasn't particularly impressed by the first one.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    "

stopped reading.
    Majinken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Majinken

Absolutely enjoyed the single player, just started the co-op and I'm loving it. No disappointment here.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#119  Edited By zero_

I loved Portal 2 so much but I'm bummed at a few things:

• An undeveloped past on Aperture Science and Cave Johnson. My favourite part of the game was the arc where you discover about Cave, Catherine and the connection to Glados, and then it sort of goes no where. 
    • I personally found the ending a little bit weak.

But man, is it a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.