Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 Controversy

• 70 results
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By C0V3RT

I find it offensive that adopted people would take offense to a game making a joke about being adopted.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Meowshi

Well, that dude sure is lame.  

At least his daughter won't inherit his lameness through genes.  
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Pibo47

Wow. I seriously cannot believe someone would actually take offense to this...its a joke. A JOKE.

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By EndlessObsidian
    NEWSFLASH

People will take offense at ANYTHING/EVERYTHING
    dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By dynamix

I can see that sort of thing upsetting a parent with an adopted child, but making such a big deal about it on television is just retarded. Something tells me the daughter didn't pay much attention to that joke until she saw her father go crazy about it.

P.S. So will the family be suing Valve or Stephen Merchant?

Avatar image for deactivated-60f4afb8ebdb2
    deactivated-60f4afb8ebdb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some people cant take a joke... and a tame joke stated by a mad blithering sphere at that

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By august
    @Meowshi said:

Quality post.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Umm... yeah no comment :/

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By SlightConfuse

first off as a journalism major this is a travisity, Blaming sony when it was made by valve and then saying sony is passing the buck is terrible. 

this guy took offense to what is a throw away line is crazy. 
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By FireBurger

It's a joke. People need to get tougher skin.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By laserbolts
    God I hate people.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Yanngc33
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    It's a slow news week obviously. In any case, if they found Portal 2 offensive, I would love to sit them down in front of 75% of the comedians out there today.
    As if, it's not a slow news week. The director of the IMF just got accused of raping a maid in a Sofitel in NYC and he's pleading not guilty. They could focus on that and the nice weather instead of reporting on a moment of a videogame that "offended" a dad that just really wanted to be on TV. This type of reporting is pathetic
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By sagesebas
    @liquidmatt: I don't think it's that bad, and they are free to say stuff like that because like you said it's comedy. But if you've known someone who is adopted, a lot of the times it can be a pretty traumatic experience, and would certainly make a situation awkward.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Arker101

It's a joke that someone took way to seriously. I feel trolled.

codyanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By codyanne

What he should have done is to have played the game through first before letting his daughter play, and if he didn't like it... then don't let her play it (although I am glad that he was playing through it with her, as time these days is a precious commodity - that he cared enough to play with her and pay attention - he sounds like a great dad). Also, I don't understand how the game was "billed as educational" - I mean, I do understand why he feels the way he feels but, not all puzzle games are meant to be educational.  I don't remember any advertisements claiming the game would be a great learning tool for kids - maybe I missed it?
    I understand why he feels that way, but if you look at the big picture... you (Chel the orphan) ultimately win the game, no?  So... why complain when the character is triumphing through such adversity?  Shouldn't that be commended?  He says that they like the rest of the game - well, Wheatly is a moron (stated often in the game) - perhaps he should be offended that someone is essentially being called retarded?  Or maybe he should be offended that the character/player is being called a fatty?  Why not be offended that to Cave, homeless people = guinea pigs?  Where are the people up in arms about Glados' mean spirit in general - I mean, she's trying to murder you!  That's way worse than being taunted by a mentally handicapped robot.

Also, @slightconfuse: The word is 'travesty,' and it's really not that bad.  Yeah, she didn't do her research, but it is what it is.  They're still getting hits, no?

It's just sad that people get offended so easily.  I understand the need for sensitivity in many situations, but it's a video game.  Free speech should rule here - is it nice?  No, but at no point should anyone have ever thought that Portal was going to bequeath you with unicorns and rainbows.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Meowshi
    @august said:
    @Meowshi said:

Quality post.
    :)
    codyanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By codyanne
    @ShaggE said:
    Sneak preview of GLaDOS's lines in Portal 3:

"Oh, you're adopted, just like my last test subject! Nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it should be a source of pride! You're special, and I am rooting for you."

"I must say, you are looking wonderful today! We can test if you want, but only if you're up to it."

"This test chamber was going to be lined with turrets, but that's far too dangerous. So I lined it with unicorn murals instead."

Ending song: "You're Adopted (And That's Okay)"
    Haha, thanks for the laugh!
    Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
    harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By harvey_the_pooka

This is so stupid it angers me... why is nobody whining about Pokemon that those poor poor animals are kept in a tiny little ball. That´s animal cruelty!!!! 

Also Portal 2 makes fun of potatoes too... nobody complained about that. Sometimes I wonder why I want to move back to the U.S...

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By cstrang

People are too sensitive about bullshit these days.  It was a fucking joke.  This is along the same lines as people getting offended when you wish them a Merry Christmas.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By hoossy

good comedy always offends someone.  

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CarpetRemnant

There is absolutely no way that guy was playing through that game with his daughter if that was the first time he heard a comment about adoption. That adoption joke is a callback to the other adoption jokes. I bet her and her brother were happily on their own playing it and he happened to be in the room at that exact moment and turned off the PS3. 

Where, exactly, is that game being billed as educational or 'for kids'? E for Everyone means EVERYONE. I love that they create controversy about the adoption jokes and then put the caption 'Adoption Controversy' up like it wasn't them that just created the controversy. Dicks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.