Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 feels very mundane at times

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Borrowed the game from a friend and started it late last night and I'm on Chapter 8 already. The part where you're underground and have to use the gels - is it just me or is it insanely tedious?I feel like a lot of the strategy from the original game gave way to more annoying puzzles this time around, or just more boring tasks over and over. Like they use the same trick a lot and while the story is keeping me going I feel like if the story wasn't as strong the game would suffer terribly from boredom.
    What I love about this game is mainly GlaDOS, or w/e. She's a freakin brilliant character and most of what kept me playing for so long last night.

Anyway does anyone else feel me on this? I think so far I'm actually liking the original game more, but the ending of P2 could change that for me.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

I think it it is a felling that you have and not many others. I thought the puzzles were just fine.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SlasherMan

This game was better than the original in every way possible (excluding the lack of challenge maps). Could have been slightly more challenging, but can't really hold that against it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Nope, I didn't have this feeling at all. I loved the puzzles.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @xyzygy said:
    " Borrowed the game from a friend and started it late last night and I'm on Chapter 8 already. The part where you're underground and have to use the gels - is it just me or is it insanely tedious?I feel like a lot of the strategy from the original game gave way to more annoying puzzles this time around, or just more boring tasks over and over. Like they use the same trick a lot and while the story is keeping me going I feel like if the story wasn't as strong the game would suffer terribly from boredom. What I love about this game is mainly GlaDOS, or w/e. She's a freakin brilliant character and most of what kept me playing for so long last night. Anyway does anyone else feel me on this? I think so far I'm actually liking the original game more, but the ending of P2 could change that for me. "
    Honestly, if you take out the parts I've bolded you could be describing the first game. Could you be a little more specific? What about the gels feels tedious? And I'm not sure what you're referring to by "strategy from the original game".

I liked both Portal 1 and 2 BTW.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda felt the same, something missing from the puzzles 

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By the_hiro_abides

The only problem I had with Portal 2's puzzles is that large percentage require momentum. I enjoyed solving most of them though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

not at all.. they felt diverse enough for me to enjoy each one

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zero_

That 2nd arc where you're playing at old school Aperture with the Goo is actually my favourite part of the whole game. Mechanically, I think Portal 2 trumps over Portal 1 in every possible aspect with the exception of no challenge levels like someone said above.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " Borrowed the game from a friend and started it late last night and I'm on Chapter 8 already. The part where you're underground and have to use the gels - is it just me or is it insanely tedious?I feel like a lot of the strategy from the original game gave way to more annoying puzzles this time around, or just more boring tasks over and over. Like they use the same trick a lot and while the story is keeping me going I feel like if the story wasn't as strong the game would suffer terribly from boredom. What I love about this game is mainly GlaDOS, or w/e. She's a freakin brilliant character and most of what kept me playing for so long last night. Anyway does anyone else feel me on this? I think so far I'm actually liking the original game more, but the ending of P2 could change that for me. "
    Honestly, if you take out the parts I've bolded you could be describing the first game. Could you be a little more specific? What about the gels feels tedious? And I'm not sure what you're referring to by "strategy from the original game".

I liked both Portal 1 and 2 BTW.
    "
    I guess I was referring to just the gel part, and also what a user said above about how you use the momentum thing a lot. A lot of the puzzles can be completed by finding a high spot and jumping or using the orange goo and running through. I'm past that part though and Maybe the game will offer up some more diversity and I'm about to jump into it again.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By EVO

Portal 2 is amazing, but like Super Mario Galaxy 2, it didn't wow me like the original.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

Use more skill. The pacing is fine when you're not getting stuck on puzzles. Maybe excersize that part of your brain more.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vrikk

No problem with it. Loved it. Only thing that felt a bit weird was the turret opera.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By guiseppe

I don't feel that way at all. I enjoyed the hell out of every single puzzle in the game, and I found them to have just the right amount of challenge for my feeble mind. The only downsides I can think of are that there aren't any challenge maps and there are far too many co-op achievements/trophies. Other than that.. Loved it every part of the way.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bwheeeler

I do agree that the game's pace lagged around Chapter 8. Could have used a bit more trimming around the edges.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I liked those parts quite a lot since it was the first time I really had to think to solve the puzzle. Before that it felt like business as usual even with the energy bridges. Good stuff.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Milkman

I played the game in one sitting so I admit I was a little burned out by the end. But that's my own fault. I thought the puzzles were pretty great across the board.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slaker117

While it's still a great game overall, I thought the pacing was pretty bad at times as well. You feel too disconnected from the main events when going through the Cave Johnson levels, and even though he's a fun character, it felt like a sideshow forced into the spotlight. After a while the puzzles stopped being fun and just felt like obstacles blocking me from the far more interesting story.

It's a hard balancing act. The original made it feel great because you went in with zero expectation, not even realizing that there was story, as it slowly ramped up, getting better and better. Naturally, that's a trick they couldn't pull for the sequel and while the writing is still sharp, the arc is too drawn out.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By niamahai

was the pacing bad because most of us were RUSHIN TO DA FINISH TO LISTEN TO SPOILERCAST or was it just plain bad?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slaker117
    @niamahai: I'm someone who marathons games. I beat RDR within 36 hours of starting it. Portal 2 is like a six hour game. I almost stopped playing three hours in because I got bored. Once getting back to the facility proper I wanted the it to be over, and was annoyed that it still had to work my way through more test chambers. I can't tell you how happy I was when the "surprise" came early. The endgame was fantastic and totally worth it, but getting there was a slog.
    jiggawhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jiggawhat

I feel you exactly. When that british robot took over and you went underground, it was just so annoying having to spend long periods of time trying to figure out what to do, and the atmosphere was kind of unpleasant. 

I enjoyed the game up until that point, and then once I got back above ground I liked that too. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

So I just beat the game and here are my thoughts about the pacing. I'm just gonna break the game up into the story sections, based on where I started liking it and not liking it:

Spoilers, obv.

First part, before Wheatly takes over - Awesome.
    Wheatly sends you underground - Tedious.
    You find GlaDOS - Awesome.
    You have to go through what seems like ENDLESS chambers for Wheatly - Tedious.
    Final Chapter and ending - AWESOME.

So in terms of pacing, yeah it was a bit of a rollercoaster. But the ending was so fucking good and just I loved how it ended that it really made the game for me. Sadly I don't think I'll be able to play the game through again until a long, long time. I just wish my internet connection was good enough to be able to play co-op :(
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By probablytuna

Just beat it last night, I have to say I didn't feel that way at all. I was thoroughly impressed by both the puzzles and the story. The ending was so so awesome. Words cannot express how brilliant it was.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slaker117
    @xyzygy: You and me, we understand each other.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @xyzygy: You and me, we understand each other. "
    I guess we share a bond unlike any other =)
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The white gel didn't add anything in terms of complexity or fun, those parts dragged the most for me. The blue and orange gel were neat and consistent with the momentum puzzles though.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Kyle

I totally disagree. If anything, I felt that way about the puzzles in the original.

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Subbeh
    @MagikOvenMit said:
    " I do agree that the game's pace lagged around Chapter 8. Could have used a bit more trimming around the edges. "
    Felt that too, fortunately the characters and story kept me interested. Loved all the new game mechanics they brought in and I cant
    remember ever having played a game that made me laugh so much.
    quinistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By quinistheman
    @niamahai said:
    " was the pacing bad because most of us were RUSHIN TO DA FINISH TO LISTEN TO SPOILERCAST or was it just plain bad?

"
    I think that's the case for me. I loved the first one but there were times in 2 where I wanted to do more than shoot portals. Maybe it was just a little too long for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.