Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Which version of Portal 2 will sell more copies?

ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ExplodingTuba
    ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ExplodingTuba

Well the game has been out for less than a day at this point and by now I'm sure some of you have already beaten it. However, my concern is not with the greatness of the game, plot points, spoilers, or to personal fan-fiction where Chell and GLaD0S have a relationship. My question concerns cold hard money and numbers and whether or not the events that have transpired between Valve, Microsoft, and Sony  over the course of last year or so will change which copy of Portal 2 sells the most.

Yes I understand that no one should care and that in the end we all win because we get to play Portal 2, however even if we the user don't care, you can be damn sure that Microsoft, Sony and Valve care enough to want to know which version of their game will ultimately sell the most, which is why I pose the question to you, the users. I'm not starting this topic to instigate trolling, or hating on one console or the other, however I believe that this question is a valid one that I haven't seen asked.

I am only one man and could not possibly remember every last bit and bite of information from all of the prior E3 Press Conferences, news articles, etc., which is why I ask you, the GiantBomb Community, which version will sell the most. Until we have the numbers in front of us next month, no one will really know, but it is still a worthy venture to speculate on and try to deduce. With that I thank you for reading this and want to hear your prediction and why.     

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

You already made this thread.

ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ExplodingTuba

Yes I know, I'm still trying to figure out how to combine/delete the older one. Someone asked for me to make a new one with a poll and that's what I've done. 

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ley_Lines

ps3 because it comes with a pc copy

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By p_p_o_d

in the long run?   

PC version.   it will be on sale for $10 at Christmas and sell a zillion copys on steam.  thats where valves makes there money.  

if we are just talking the narrow view of first month NPD's then 360 followed by ps3.

the ps3 has MK with Kratos and Socom 4 which take sales away from portal sales.   that plus 360 people will get it on xbox because thats where there co-op bros live.   

but in the end all versions will do great.   on pc and 360 because valve have a large audiance on there and they ps3 should be good because its "the best console version".

my big question is will MS allow steamworks on 360 for valves next game?   will the ps3 version have to do well for MS to cave in?  

Steam is a bigger competitor to microsoft with GFWL then it is for sony so who knows if they will even consider it.   

would love steamworks on 360 just for the lulz of ps3-360-pc online.   just imagine if they re-released a up to date version of TF2 on ps3/360 with steamworks.   it would be AMAZING!    I half expect the huge performance boost in the latest TF2 update came from testing the game to run on consoles again ... but thats just me
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#7  Edited By strangeling

Done voted.

holybins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By holybins

I'm thinking PS3, but based on a very weak assumption that many PC gamers have PS3's as well.  Buying the PS3 version is automatic in those cases.  The NPD numbers should be interesting...

--Chuck
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By NickLott

I think the PS3 version will sell the best in the short term (especially considering you get the PC/Mac version with it) but over time with Valve games having a long tail on Steam and them continually putting out sales and promotions, Portal 2 will certainly have the largest install base on the PC.

edulle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By edulle

Have to go with the PC version in the long run. Valve's games are always discounted during their holiday sales. Just like the first Portal, everyone will be buying this for $2 to play or gift to friends

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

Why would I even want MS or Sony or EA to get any of the money that Valve deserve?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat
    @Rey_Leone said:
    " ps3 because it comes with a pc copy "
    Then PC has to win by default, since it includes ALL PS3 sales.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus
    @Rey_Leone said:
    You serious? If every PS3 sale comes with a PC copy, then even if not a single stand-alone PC copy was sold, PS3 and PC would be equal. Thousands of people are going to buy on PC because it's cheaper, and they don't like playing First Person game with a controller, it's going to be PC.
    Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flaboere
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @Rey_Leone said:
    You serious? If every PS3 sale comes with a PC copy, then even if not a single stand-alone PC copy was sold, PS3 and PC would be equal. Thousands of people are going to buy on PC because it's cheaper, and they don't like playing First Person game with a controller, it's going to be PC. "
    Actually the PS3 and PC versions are almost equal in price, at least in my country (Denmark) where PC (steam) ofc. is 49,99 euro, and I can finde PS3 for 53 euro.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

When Steam sells it for like 5 bucks when the console versions are still 40-60, does that really count as being sold?  

Of course the PC version would sell more, the real question is how many each platform sold at the base price, also the PS3 sale counts towards Steam.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus
    @Flaboere said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " @Rey_Leone said:
    You serious? If every PS3 sale comes with a PC copy, then even if not a single stand-alone PC copy was sold, PS3 and PC would be equal. Thousands of people are going to buy on PC because it's cheaper, and they don't like playing First Person game with a controller, it's going to be PC. "
    Actually the PS3 and PC versions are almost equal in price, at least in my country (Denmark) where PC (steam) ofc. is 49,99 euro, and I can finde PS3 for 53 euro. "
    Uh huh... so the PC version is still cheaper there, and it's $20 USD cheaper here, and every PS3 copy still comes with a PC copy... I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, it's impossible for there to be more PS3 copies out there. 
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I don't think most of the people  know about the PS3 + PC deal, and there was a lot of marketing on steam for it so I guess a lot of the Steam users bought it. Anyway in the long run it will sell more on the PC because of Valve's crazy sales.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

If it's like every other Valve game, it's gotta be PC.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Dalai said:
    " If it's like every other Valve game, it's gotta be PC. "
    If you don't count the crazy Steam deals and keep the prices the same, L4D sells more on Xbox.  The only reason L4D sold more on PC was because of the insane deals they have, hell you could get both L4D games for less than 10 bucks last year.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

either this or PS3. I wish myself I had gone with the PS3 since it gives me alot of flexibility. But I tried in the beginning to play with a controller, and was convinced keyboard and mouse are the apex imput devices for this game.  It just feels right from the 'look up,look down' get-go.

Oddly enough, I remember HL, episode 2 to be more intuitive to me with a controller on the 360.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn

PC, definitely.

I bought the PS3 one myself, just so that I could mooch off of the free Steam copy; PC will definitely win, because long-term, Steam will put it on sale for $5, a bazillion people will buy it, and that's that.

Anyone who said 360 is pretty much a fanboy. Valve has made it pretty clear that it's the worst copy of the game by not shipping a Steam copy with it or including Steam's API; Lens of Truth has proved that it looks the worst to boot.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Dalai said:
    " If it's like every other Valve game, it's gotta be PC. "
    If you don't count the crazy Steam deals and keep the prices the same, L4D sells more on Xbox.  The only reason L4D sold more on PC was because of the insane deals they have, hell you could get both L4D games for less than 10 bucks last year. "
    Eh, I don't really believe that. Left 4 Dead has a huge modding community behind it, and Valve themselves have been lucky enough to be able to support the PC crowd, and service the console players, too. (I'm talking about those deviation multiplayer modes they keep changing up weekly/monthly.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.