So first of all let me preface that I really really enjoy Splatoon 2, and I played a ton of Splatoon (probably my 2nd favorite Wii U game after Bayo 2), so I'm not really hating on the game. But some nagging thoughts just want out, and y'all are going to have to deal.
- Would it have hurt Nintendo to add more music? The repeated playlist was an issue in the first game too and this is like that, again. The 1-minute-left tune, after dozens of matches, really just highlights how repetitive the soundtrack is. Which is crazy because there is so much cool music in the game, just doesn't seem like any of it gets used in multiplayer?
- The weapons somehow seem less well thought out this time around. Is the stingray good for anything at all? Compared to the inkjets or tentamissiles the stingray seems absolutely useless. It just plants your feet and lets you not do anything useful. The levels I've played so far make chargers pointless. They make you incredibly weak up close (as to be expected) but the levels don't lend themselves to mid-range sniping anything less than the scoped versions push you towards. Why would you ever use a charger over any of the plentiful rapid fire sprayguns? In fact, rapid fire is absolutely king in this if results are to be judged by. I have never ever had problems with anyone with a blaster or charger, but literally anything with a decent firing rate can put up a fight. The aerospray is so ridiculously easy to dominate with it makes choosing anything more deliberate feel like a mistake. The splatling guns.. Why oh why. Why. Just why. They made it a charger which makes it pointless up close, and each burst is not long enough to suppress.. This thing could have been an excellent long range low power suppressor/area denial weapon, and instead it's just a death sentence. Overall I just think there are a few too many obvious duds in the arsenal. A significant balance update is due.
- I think the current levels are pretty boring and don't make particularly good use of new features like the grind lines. They need to start rolling out bangers from the previous game soon because these are getting heck of old. Humpback Pump track in particular is a flat out whiff of a design, devolving into a messy and chaotic king of the hill that I think kind of oversteps the kind of splatoon chaos you want in favor of something that just feels random.
- I really wish they'd included a minimap with the dpad for quick-jump to teammates. Having to bring up the map full screen all but guarantees i barely ever have time for it. I really try to practise using it more but it was so easy on the Wii U and here it just feels jarring. Bring up map, select teammate, confirm teammate. It's at least one step too many.
- One thing I wonder about, and I'm probably wrong: These matches swing so much I wonder why they are 3 minutes long. It seems to me anything of import happens during the last minute anyway. You can utterly dominate the map only to be smashed the last 60 seconds, which makes me sometimes wonder what the point is to making much of an effort the preceding 120... I guess just to grind points?
Anyway, I still love this game and when more updates roll out I'm sure things'll improve. But the weapons really do bother me.