Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Radical Entertainment's 2009 ultra-violent sandbox game, Prototype 2 returns to an urban landscape ravaged by an all-consuming virus.

Should the game be sillier?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mrcraggle

I really enjoyed the original game for its gameplay and this sequel looks the same confirmed as much with the Joystiq review and a lot of trailers I have seen up to its release. I was thinking, should this game forgo all the serious and brooding attitude in favour of something more like GodHand? In the first game you could do completely dumb stuff like grab a guy, run up the tallest building then body slam him into the ground. There was no logical reason for it, it was just fun and satisfying to do so if the gameplay is so silly and doesn't take itself so seriously, why does the story?

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TLKnight

Dude, I'm right there with you. My perfect game would totally be a combination of the over the top super powers of Prototype with the overall wackyness of Saints Row the Third.

How awesome would that be?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I want everything to be more like God Hand.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By stryker1121

I don't know if I want the OTT wackiness of SR series, but Prototype's story is grim to the point of satire. P2 looks more of the same, w/ Heller saying 'fuck' seemingly every five seconds in his, dun dun duuuun, QUEST FOR REVENGE. Maybe dial down the seriousness a shade, but whatever. I did not play P1 for the story, same goes for the sequel.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrcraggle

@TLKnight: Oh man, I didn't even think of SR:TT, that would be awesome. I just think the game would be more appealing to me personally if your dumb actions were backed by an equally silly story. The first game gave you so many abilities yet the main game, side-missions and story didn't even take advantage of. There's even a part in the first game where your powers are taken away from you due to a story plot line. Oh yea that's always fun :/

The stealth mechanic also returns from the first game and that was one aspect I really disliked. It is cool to be able to transform into these people but I feel like it slows the game down too much when 90% of your actions are fast and loose like running up a building with a helicopter shooting missiles at you then you sling your way to the helicopter, wreck that shit then fly down to the ground then slice dozens of army guys in half and punch a 2 ton monster in the face with your rock fists.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stryker1121

@mrcraggle: The stealth stuff is lame, I agree. I'd be down w/ the wackiness of a game like Just Cause 2, with a plot more in line w/ a bad 80s action movie than the grim (but generic) revenge fantasy stuff that probably does take itself too seriously. The game should basically never slow down, much like JC2 never did.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TentPole

It would have gone a long way for me.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Getz

I think the answer to your question is they are not very good at telling a story.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By murisan

I think P2 has some good humor in it for a videogame. I enjoyed the absurd outburst at the computer, and I continue to enjoy key bits of Heller's asshattery. Overall the writing is better this go around IMO

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Fearbeard

I don't think so. Silly only works if it's done well like Saint's Row the Third, otherwise you end up with something like Just Cause 2 (which is a fantastic game but with an absolutely horrible story.)

Plus, this is a sequel and the first game was serious. It would probably turn a lot of people off if the game went in a completely different direction.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

I think so, a game like Prototype tries too hard to be serious and ends up looking goofy and stupid anyway, shit this happens with most games. More games should explore their more idiotic facets.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You could say that about a lot  of recent games. 

They don't all have to be as silly as SR but adding in some humor every once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well Prototype 2 is pretty silly... Wait? It is meant to be serious? No. Yes? Really? Oh...

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrcraggle

Well I don't think it has to be be OTT humorous or try to out do SR:TT in the crazy but I'm more put off but its incredibly serious tone and adding fuck to every line just comes off as being stupid. I just find the ridiculous actions conflict with the serious tone of the game. I felt inFamous did a better job at striking a balance between the powers you had with the world and the story it told and overall style but Prototype just gives you an overwhelming number of abilities that just running around and doing crazy stupid shit is fun in itself.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

I do think you maybe onto something. They went to great strides to make the world seem realistic which makes the fake gamey parts stick out more. If they went more cartoony with the presentation it might have helped integrate those quirks into the game or at least not make them so obvious.

Going "serious" made Prototype 2 look kind of silly so why not just embrace the silliness?

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Scrawnto

My problem with Prototype has always been that it's ridiculous to even pretend you're the good guy when you go around murdering innocents without a second glance constantly, with zero repercussions.

edit: Forgot to answer the question. Yeah, I think playing it off B movie style would definitely improve things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.