Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

7 Hours in, didn't see this coming

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I am typically very much against early access, hated Day-z, h1z1 and all of those other types of games, but i can't stop here. They've found a very optimal amount of time for a game of this nature to go on for, i've finished in the top ten a couple times and its always a harrowing experience. There is only one mode and one map, but i've yet to experience the same thing twice so far. Give it a shot if you're into respawn-free, slow paced experiences.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I never buy early access games anymore because i got burned to many times now.

These days i prefer waiting on a finished product rather than taking the gamble of the dev ever finishing it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

I loved dayz but most of my memories of that game involve running across the map for 2 hours, encountering some enemies and them having a wicked tense firefight.

This seems like just the tense firefights and none of the in-between. I might need to give it a chance.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The quick look made me really interested in this game. Always loved the concept of Day Z and those types of games but they were always way too slow and kinda boring for long stretches of time. This game looks really tense and dumb fun. I probably wont jump in right now but its definitely on my radar now.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never buy early access games anymore because i got burned to many times now.

These days i prefer waiting on a finished product rather than taking the gamble of the dev ever finishing it.

I had this attitude until I noticed I've spent more time in DayZ (which is one of the worst examples of EA) than any other game in the last 4 years

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can you group up in this game? getting a group of friends in our own voice chat, teaming up to take down everyone and turning on each other in the end of the round sounds awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never spent money on an early access game and not about to start now. But I look forward to seeing what this game becomes after it launches because I actually do want to play it.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like yet another early access game that will never actually be finished. What you have to ask yourself is whether the current experience is worth the asking price. I would never buy a product based on potential just as I never preorder. This looks tense and fun so I'll probably pick this up soon.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WynnDuffy
    @fatalbanana said:

Can you group up in this game? getting a group of friends in our own voice chat, teaming up to take down everyone and turning on each other in the end of the round sounds awesome.

You can form a party (or at least a duo) but I don't know how it handles the end of matches with groups

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gobo212: why's that? This game has a cohesive structure to it that most early access survival mp games don't.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had to wait no more than one minute for every single 99 player match, i think the playerbase here will ensure support for this for a long while. its worth 30 bucks right now.

Buarpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fatalbanana: there's a solo, duo, and squad (4 per group) mode. None end with you murdering your team for supremacy though. And you can join duos and squads with less than the cap and play at the disadvantage if you so choose.

vovin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the game after I saw the QL.

Solo play is tough but squad play is somewhat better, depends on if everyone sticks together or not. It's all random matchmaking and most of the time, by the simple design of the game, it usually works out great. Haven't had much luck on duo mode, but I usually end up in two-man teams near the end of 4-man squad matches.

Just imagine that this game plays alot like STALKER, but the theme is Battle Royale (the Japanese movie/book). The only serious issue I have with it so far is graphics optimization problems, since the buildings usually spend several minutes loading to the point that I can even enter them to begin with. But this probably isn't a problem for stronger PCs, and a patch is due in a week.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

H1Z1's King of the Kill mode was fairly popular, but there's a reason why all the streamers and youtubers have already spent more time with this game than the 'Battle Royale' games that came before it.
    It's early and has some issues, but by having shorter matches, a quicker pace, easy to find loot, vehicles ready for use by anyone and satisfying gunplay, it makes it an easy game to load up and have fun with immediately. I've played a bit of Arma and DayZ so i'm familiar with the concepts and mechanics but i'm not great at these games by any means, however with some careful playing and some luck i'm having long and fruitful matches, i even won a chicken dinner one time.
    It's a new genre of shooter, and there are plenty of indie teams creating their own vision for it, H1Z1 almost had it, but i feel this is the first game to really succeed at it.

No Caption Provided
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

@cikame: What's the difference between this and the Battle Royal Arma mod? From an outsider looking in, it looks exactly the same. Is it just better netcode?

I'm itching to get this game. I really like Arma but it can be a pain in the ass to play vanilla multiplayer if everyone doesn't have the same mindset. Just wondering how much this compares to, or deviates from, how Arma handles (or more comparably, how Battle Royal handles)

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@wynnduffy: Well it's Dayz that made me think this.

The game is in EA for so damn long now and i doubt they will even finish it.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sin4profit: It's somewhat less clunky and not as simulation-y as ARMA, while still more hardcore than most shooters. You can also somewhat see that it's been designed from the ground up to support Battle Royale.

I know it was talked about in the Unfinished but I really, REALLY want to see Vinny and Dan do a This is the Run on the duo mode of this. At least try it from time to time.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WynnDuffy
    @sin4profit said:

@cikame: What's the difference between this and the Battle Royal Arma mod? From an outsider looking in, it looks exactly the same. Is it just better netcode?

I'm itching to get this game. I really like Arma but it can be a pain in the ass to play vanilla multiplayer if everyone doesn't have the same mindset. Just wondering how much this compares to, or deviates from, how Arma handles (or more comparably, how Battle Royal handles)

It's made by the same people that made the mod and it's basically a better version of that due to no longer being constrained by ARMA's engine

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super interested in the general idea of these types of games, and this one seems to have a better execution than most, but man, the fact that everyone and their grandmother just finds all this military grade gear in the first 5 minutes bums me out. I'm with Alex on this one, if everyone started with a random weapon, and the equipment was more mundane in general, I'd be more interested. More Mad Max/Battle Royale than modern military shooter.

Maybe if they put out a mode that changes the weapon spawns I might check it out.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Played it on Steam, now requesting a refund. Being Early Access, i should have known better, that it would be a bit crashy, and a bit crappy. Had to drop the graphics to their lowest setting to make it playable. Outside of it being undercooked, I just don't feel like it's my thing. I still much prefer ARMA, BattleGrounds feels a bit aimless as i hunkered down in an abandoned house for 20 minutes, only to be murdered as i was checking my settings. The few more rounds i played after that were equally as dull for me.

Maybe this game is a good time if you have partners to watch each other's backs, but going solo just felt like a camp fest as i would just hope to survive on being lucky enough to land in the play zone.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This game looks like it might do what DotA did to the MMORPG genre but for the survival genre. Take the mechanics and progression that make the genre's fun but condense them into manageable matches.

From the QuickLook, I do want to see them refine the item discovery a bit more so it becomes more of a fair and balanced game all around. Though, I obviously can't speak much of this at all since I haven't played it yet.

When you squad up, is it a separate mode where it's just squads vs squads and duos vs duos, or is if all a mixed bag?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rethla

Its a great game but theres only 5-10min of fun in every round and then its just the last 20guys camping in some corner.

They really should go full Battle royale and move the zones around so the only winning tactic aint to just camp for 30min.

ernesto_limbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are dull moments playing this game. Its quite fun but not really compared to other challenging online games that I usually play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.