Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 31, 2007

A top-down action RPG and item shop tycoon game for PC by doujin/indie circle EasyGameStation and localized by Carpe Fulgur for English-speaking audiences. You play the role of Recette, a young girl who opens an item shop to repay the debts incurred by her missing father.

Recettear Quick Look?

Silverbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Silverbrand

I'd love to see a Quick Look of this game because it's such a clever concept for a game and I've been really enjoying playing it.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vitor
    @Silverbrand said:
    " I'd love to see a Quick Look of this game because it's such a clever concept for a game and I've been really enjoying playing it. "
    Same - haven't tried the game myself but would be interested in seeing them try it out as what I've heard so far intrigues me
    Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

There's a free demo; go check it out.  It's a pretty small download (under a gig), and is quite fun.

If I knew how to make a quick look for myself I might make one.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By BunkerBuster

You have to ask yourself, which one of the GB crew wouldn't shit all over this game? Maybe Vinny or Dave, but would they bother?  
    Sometimes its best that they stick to what they like so that the videos stay upbeat and funny.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I'd like this game to get a bit of coverage since it's a pretty good game and deserves to be played
    Silverbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silverbrand
    @BunkerBuster said:
    " You have to ask yourself, which one of the GB crew wouldn't shit all over this game? Maybe Vinny or Dave, but would they bother?  Sometimes its best that they stick to what they like so that the videos stay upbeat and funny. "
    That's actually what I was thinking exactly. I personally really like the game, but I tend to not really have a particular type of game I like.

@DragonBloodthirsty said:
    "

There's a free demo; go check it out.  It's a pretty small download (under a gig), and is quite fun.

"

Yeah, I bought it and have been playing it. I'd want a quick look just because it's sort of a tough game to describe the feel of, and I like to see games that might not get the fair shake they deserve be known to more people.
    laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By laussica

i dont care i would love to see what they think about the game :) 

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bocam

Does this game have naked cartoon pussy?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Bocam: Carpe Fulgur has gone on record that it does not.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta
    @Bocam said:
    " Does this game have naked cartoon pussy? "
    haha! meme's are funny!

but it wouldn't be on steam if it did
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By shirogane
    @Laketown said:
    " @Bocam said:
    " Does this game have naked cartoon pussy? "
    haha! meme's are funny!  but it wouldn't be on steam if it did "

Soon my brother, soon. 
    This is only the beginning. 
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bocam
    @Shirogane:  Yes, hopefully soon Steam will have Sengoku Rance
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By damodar

I checked out the page, sounds reasonably interesting and unique. 

But yeah, it's not really something that looks like it would appeal to any of the GB crew. I reckon at least Ryan would actively dislike the artstyle and anime-ish sensibilities that it looks like it'd have. Look at the way they just got the intern to check out the JRPG's when Kessler was there :P

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shirogane
    @Bocam said:

" @Shirogane:  Yes, hopefully soon Steam will have Sengoku Rance "

That game does look awesome, but there seems to be a lack of Hattori Hanzo... 
     Unlike Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls, which has her as a ninja maid. With super high tech glasses.
    HoChiWaWa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By HoChiWaWa
    @Damodar:  I also actively dislike the art style, however the game play is fun and unique and the localization team has done a great job of making the text funny and entertaining.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bocam
    @Shirogane:  Hattori Hanzo is in Rance... as a  tanuki with huge testicles.

Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bandit_Fox

I've had my eye on that game since it popped up on Steam - is it really worth giving a shot? There are so few good RPGs on Steam aside from Torchlight... uhhh... Torchlight... what else is there really?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bocam
    @Bandit_Fox:  Like it's been said before it depends on your stance on anime
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Noodles
    @Bandit_Fox said:

" I've had my eye on that game since it popped up on Steam - is it really worth giving a shot? There are so few good RPGs on Steam aside from Torchlight... uhhh... Torchlight... what else is there really? "

Dragon Age: Origins, KOTOR, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Titan Quest, Guild Wars (would only consider it a RPG because there is no monthly fee), Borderlands? (RPGish) just to name a few. Plenty of good RPGs to go around :)
    koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By koobz

I tried the demo for like 4 hours and it is grindy and unforgiving as hell.  I don't see how any of the Giantbomb guys would have the patience for it.

Despite what it seems, it's pretty much just a JRPG dungeon crawler with a pain in the ass SELL A THOUSAND ITEMS OR START OVER mechanic added on.  You go to dungeons and die in like four hits.  If you die, you lose all but one item.  The rest of the time you are basically navigating menus to buy and sell lots of the same items over and over.  Every time someone wants to buy an item from you (which is often) you have to manually set the price (to simulate haggling!).  If the whole game doesn't sound like a chore, I am describing it wrong.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo7676

Someone get Matt Kessler.

Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bandit_Fox
    @Bocam: I don't buy that. An anime and a game can come off totally different. See: Pokemon
    Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bandit_Fox
    @Noodles: Good Lord. I even own several of those. Feel free to smack me upside the head.

I love Mondays.
    HoChiWaWa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HoChiWaWa

The dungeons are actually not all that necessary, if you give people good prices (start at 104% and feel out what people are willing to pay from there) you can build long chains of sales that give you a ton of experience, and leveling up your item shop is how you actually make money. I suggest running the dungeon a few times for cheap product to sell, but pretty soon you're better off just playing the market. Keep lots of stock and when the price of something goes up sell all of it you can, when the price drops go buy all that you can.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By dtat

I think this game has the right kind of quirky Japanese crazy that the GB guys would enjoy. They should definitely do a quicklook.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By Symphony
    @Koobz said:

" I tried the demo for like 4 hours and it is grindy and unforgiving as hell.  I don't see how any of the Giantbomb guys would have the patience for it. Despite what it seems, it's pretty much just a JRPG dungeon crawler with a pain in the ass SELL A THOUSAND ITEMS OR START OVER mechanic added on.  You go to dungeons and die in like four hits.  If you die, you lose all but one item.  The rest of the time you are basically navigating menus to buy and sell lots of the same items over and over.  Every time someone wants to buy an item from you (which is often) you have to manually set the price (to simulate haggling!).  If the whole game doesn't sound like a chore, I am describing it wrong. "

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. 

I enjoyed the game for the first few in-game weeks. The humor was cute and the mechanics were interesting, but it quickly became apparent that the game was nothing more than a buy low / sell high grind with a piss poor haggling mechanic (ie. the little girl would NEVER take more than 10% markup and wouldn't even take base price when she put in an advanced order, making me ask the obvious question -- "Why can't I just tell her off so she never comes to my shop again?!") and a bland dungeon crawler that felt pointless. By the time I went in and completed the second dungeon, I was already buying and selling things on the market worth ten times the value of the items found in the dungeon...  

But I can see the charm and appeal the game could have for some who enjoy the grind and find the characters endearing, so all the power to them. 

Edit: Whoops, I mean 10% markup not 110%. >.>
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Disgaeamad

This thread has a severe lack of Capitalism, ho!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Symphony: I hope that girl dies later in the game. If you don't like being ripped off, stay the fuck out of my store.
    Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Synaptic

I love the game. The characters are, in fact, what make it worthwhile. The shop mechanic is fun, but gets old, the dungeon crawling isn't incredibly enjoyable, but I don't regret my purchase at all.

Chozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chozo
    @Symphony said:
    " @Koobz said:  
     (ie. the little girl would NEVER take more than 10% markup and wouldn't even take base price when she put in an advanced order, making me ask the obvious question -- "Why can't I just tell her off so she never comes to my shop again?!") 

Customers have a set amount of money, especially early in the game.  The little girl's starting budget is ~=1200 pix so if you try to shake her down by recommending expensive crap she'll just tell you off.   But yeah, she still sucks.

That said, I enjoyed it but I agree with you that the risk/reward ratio between dungeon-crawling and playing the market is way too skewed towards the latter past the first week: it's a game heavily built around the theory of both parts interacting, and without that neither part stands out particularly on their own and you realize that shopkeeping basically boils down to "sell at 104-115%, buy at 60-70%".

Probably a 3/5 game when all is said and done, but it was enjoyable enough so I don't consider that $20 poorly spent.

ALSO: If you're considering buying this make sure to download the latest patch.  Dungeon crawling is less of a headache when red ropers aren't lopping off half your health with one hit.
    RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoujinX

It's a great 'Harvest Moon' type of game for people that liked 'Harvest Moon.' 

Personally, I liked 'Harvest Moon' a lot.
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By Forcen

The game is on the front page now, if that makes any difference. How does a game end up there anyway?

Anyway, i quicklook would be nice, not because I want to find out more about the game but because i want to see their reaction to the game.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By donchipotle

It reminds me of what you get if you cross an Atelier game with a Ys game. 

And I think it's charming as hell. 

But I don't suggest playing it on an empty stomach because I had a huge hunger for sweets after playing.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adoggz

man, f a QL I think Recettear has all the making of an endurance run title. Yeah!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By meteora

The Giantbomb crew needs a taste of capitalism, ho!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Forcen said:
    " The game is on the front page now, if that makes any difference. How does a game end up there anyway? "
    It got popular suddenly. Likely because of the current featured user review.
    Avatar image for captaininvictus
    CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CaptainInvictus
    @Symphony said:
    " @Koobz said:

" I tried the demo for like 4 hours and it is grindy and unforgiving as hell.  I don't see how any of the Giantbomb guys would have the patience for it. Despite what it seems, it's pretty much just a JRPG dungeon crawler with a pain in the ass SELL A THOUSAND ITEMS OR START OVER mechanic added on.  You go to dungeons and die in like four hits.  If you die, you lose all but one item.  The rest of the time you are basically navigating menus to buy and sell lots of the same items over and over.  Every time someone wants to buy an item from you (which is often) you have to manually set the price (to simulate haggling!).  If the whole game doesn't sound like a chore, I am describing it wrong. "

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  I enjoyed the game for the first few in-game weeks. The humor was cute and the mechanics were interesting, but it quickly became apparent that the game was nothing more than a buy low / sell high grind with a piss poor haggling mechanic (ie. the little girl would NEVER take more than 10% markup and wouldn't even take base price when she put in an advanced order, making me ask the obvious question -- "Why can't I just tell her off so she never comes to my shop again?!") and a bland dungeon crawler that felt pointless. By the time I went in and completed the second dungeon, I was already buying and selling things on the market worth ten times the value of the items found in the dungeon...   But I can see the charm and appeal the game could have for some who enjoy the grind and find the characters endearing, so all the power to them.  Edit: Whoops, I mean 10% markup not 110%. >.> "
    Heh, you're doing it wrong.  You need to gain customer's confidence before they'll pay out the nose.  I've gotten the little girl to accept a 250% markup before, generally 104% sales, 60% buys early on nets you great favor with most patrons.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I'd love a quick look of this. I'm still on the fence on it, but I've heard lots of good things about it.

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Urmean

This game definitely needs a QL to garner some awareness, and also to support the Something Awful members who translated it.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EquitasInvictus
    @LordAndrew: Thank you for attributing the sudden popularity of Recettear to my review! I appreciate it. 
    Having finished the game before I wrote my review, I was surprised it didn't get much initial attention considering how unique and just straight-up-cute it was despite its fairly cheap price! And so I conceived my first GB user review. 

People say my 4.5/5 (90%) was a tad high, and while I understand their concerns, I'll stand by my initial score, justifying it by the fact it was designed by an indie game developer that reasonably had limited resources to refine the game's features to the extent that most contemporary games are. My reasoning behind rating it that way was that I wanted to keep the quality rating proportional to what kind of a budget and resources the developers have as well as how much the game is selling for. So yeah, I say it's 'A' quality as a $20 indie game - it is a very interesting concept that is executed with fluid mechanics and a charming style that rises above what most typical JRPGs tend to offer. 

In terms of a QL, I'd say if Jeff in particular can sit through parts of a $50ish Bullet Hell shooter (DeathSmiles), I'm sure he can give a $20 Business Sim-ish spin on the JRPG a shot, despite how unpopular typical JRPGs end up with him and the rest of the crew. I'm pretty sure the length of the initial tutorials and the first dungeon are reasonable enough to fit into a QL time slot and they might even have a little extra time going through some encounters around town and opening the shop for a few iterations. Considering it has already been out for a while, however, I doubt they'll even consider it unless somehow Recettear keeps the attention it has been getting thus far for a longer period of time.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Addfwyn
    @VelvetLore04: The description of this game being a combination of Atelier and Ys made me rush out to immediately start downloading it off of Impulse. 

I hope to not be disappointed :P
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By donchipotle
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @VelvetLore04: The description of this game being a combination of Atelier and Ys made me rush out to immediately start downloading it off of Impulse.  I hope to not be disappointed :P "
    I take full responsibility if you are not satisfied.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NTM

This game looks interesting. My brother just bought it yesterday for very cheap. Though I won't be the one to play it, I'd like to watch him play it for a while at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.